Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Autocheck.ie or Cartell.ie??

Options
  • 18-07-2007 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭

I know a few of you have used Cartell.ie but has anyone used Autocheck.ie?

Which is better?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Kenny 5 wrote:
    I know a few of you have used Cartell.ie but has anyone used Autocheck.ie?

Which is better?

Never used Autocheck, never even heard of it until now, but interestingly it claims to have an odometer check which is something that Cartell does not have.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭I.S.T.

PauloMN wrote:
    Never used Autocheck, never even heard of it until now, but interestingly it claims to have an odometer check which is something that Cartell does not have.

Here is the description of the odometer check from their site. Doesn't sound too useful, how would they have the mileage in their database? How is this information collected?
    * Odometer:

If you have entered the vehicles current mileage we will tell you if our database contains any contradicory readings and thereby alert you to whether any further investigation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

* Odometer:

If you have entered the vehicles current mileage we will tell you if our database contains any contradicory readings and thereby alert you to whether any further investigation is required.
    This is actually worse than useless, as it implies that, if they don't have a contradictory reading, no further investigation is required.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,680 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Autocheck.ie is brought to you by the good people who brought you Motorcard.ie

Not sure how they get the data on mileage, but the finance checking side of things is through HPi.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cartell don't offer any insight on mileage, and Autocheck will alert you if the spot anything suspicious.

Not good enough.

It would not be difficult nor expensive to offer a guaranteed milometer reading.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

There is no way of guarranteeing an odometer reading. It may be possible to hook into the manufacturers/dealers systems but this won't cover all cars and would be difficult enough.
    The NCT is the only 'independent' way of checking the readings and their figures are not rerleased - even to the current owner.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

What I meant was offer a warranty against an incorrect reading. HPI do this (up to STG£10000), so why isn't it possible here?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It isn't possible because our system of record collection is basically non-existent.
    We should have something whereby the milage is recorded when tax is being applied for (with random checks) and also make the NCT recordings available.
    However, in this, the IT hub or Europe (or whatever bulls**t terminology the government use for this country), we haven't a hope of getting this done!

kbannon wrote:
    It isn't possible because our system of record collection is basically non-existent.
    We should have something whereby the milage is recorded when tax is being applied for (with random checks) and also make the NCT recordings available.
    However, in this, the IT hub or Europe (or whatever bulls**t terminology the government use for this country), we haven't a hope of getting this done!

I wonder how is it done in the Uk?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,865 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Anan1 wrote:
    This is actually worse than useless, as it implies that, if they don't have a contradictory reading, no further investigation is required.

That's no different to the HPI check though. I ran a HPI check on a UK car last week (the one I discovered was clocked), and it wouldn't give me a mileage recording until I entered the current mileage according to the odometer.

Then it showed me two recordings - one at 91k miles, and one at 95k miles, after I put the current reading of 60k miles in :rolleyes: :( . Not sure if they were the only recordings available for the car, or if it just shows the last two recordings.

As to how the data collected in the UK - the two mileage entries on the HPI check report I have are listed as franchised dealer recordings, so I'm not sure if MOT mileage readings are held in their database.

• Advertisement

PauloMN wrote:
    That's no different to the HPI check though. I ran a HPI check on a UK car last week (the one I discovered was clocked), and it wouldn't give me a mileage recording until I entered the current mileage according to the odometer.

Then it showed me two recordings - one at 91k miles, and one at 95k miles, after I put the current reading of 60k miles in :rolleyes: :( . Not sure if they were the only recordings available for the car, or if it just shows the last two recordings.

As to how the data collected in the UK - the two mileage entries on the HPI check report I have are listed as franchised dealer recordings, so I'm not sure if MOT mileage readings are held in their database.

As I understand it there's a massive difference. HPI will give you a warranty of up to STG£10,000 if their info is incorrect.

Advertisement