Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-06-2007, 22:12   #1
blockman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
nissan almera 2.2td 16v twin cam

Looking at a used 02 almera van 2.2td 16v twin cam. Has anyone any info on this engine.

I have very little knowlage about engines maybe we could start with what is twin cam?.
blockman is offline  
Advertisement
28-06-2007, 22:32   #2
mike65
Closed Account
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 90,092
Twin Overhead camshafts, means nothing more than its got 16v engine (8 per camshaft).

Mike.
mike65 is offline  
28-06-2007, 22:34   #3
Anan1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 22,162
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike65
Twin Overhead camshafts, means nothing more than its got 16v engine (8 per camshaft).

Mike.
Although, just to confuse matters, some twin cams only have 8 valves.
Anan1 is offline  
28-06-2007, 23:49   #4
JHMEG
Banned
 
JHMEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Salt
Posts: 7,634
And many single overhead cam engines have 16 valves.

Having twin camshafts means more precise control of valves. Meaning less design compromises.

Tho some manufacturers have traditionally gone the twincam route, Nissan being one of them.

OTOH, Honda usually use a single cam (but always 4v per cyl) on all but their highest performing engines.

Last edited by JHMEG; 28-06-2007 at 23:53.
JHMEG is offline  
30-06-2007, 14:12   #5
colm_mcm
rotaredoM
 
colm_mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,582
the bhp on the van isn't as high as it is on the Primera, still a very strong engine.
colm_mcm is offline  
Advertisement
01-07-2007, 16:42   #6
blockman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by colm_mcm
the bhp on the van isn't as high as it is on the Primera, still a very strong engine.
What is the bhp on the almera van?.
blockman is offline  
01-07-2007, 16:57   #7
blockman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMEG
And many single overhead cam engines have 16 valves.

Having twin camshafts means more precise control of valves. Meaning less design compromises.

Tho some manufacturers have traditionally gone the twincam route, Nissan being one of them.

OTOH, Honda usually use a single cam (but always 4v per cyl) on all but their highest performing engines.

Is the 16v twin cam on the almera van a good engine?.

How does this engine differ from the standard 2.2 td?.
blockman is offline  
01-07-2007, 17:43   #8
JHMEG
Banned
 
JHMEG's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: North Salt
Posts: 7,634
Afaik all Nissan (4 cylinder) engines are twincam and 16 valve.

To answer your question, as far as I know there is essentially only one 2.2 diesel engine. One has common rail direct injection (dCi) and the other doesn't (Di). The dCi is a bit more powerful (actually there are two versions of the dCi). Afaik the dCi started in late 2002, so your's might be the older one.

I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than typical Jap reliability, especially as it's a diesel.
JHMEG is offline  
01-07-2007, 19:18   #9
maidhc
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Cork, Ireland
Posts: 6,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMEG
I wouldn't expect it to be anything other than typical Jap reliability, especially as it's a diesel.
Is the 2.2 not of Renault lineage? I don't know, but the first Laguna I's had 2.2 diesels IIRC.
maidhc is offline  
Advertisement
01-07-2007, 21:17   #10
Rudolph Claus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,042
The 2.2turbo almeara van is 140bhp and has a 6spd gearbox if i recall correctly. Theres a smaller bhp model too isnt there, not sure what litre engine that is though. If its a renault engine it might be a bit dodgey?

What other car vans are you considering, the golfs are ridiculously overrated/overpriced/underspeced.

The focus van(not the new yoke), 1.8turbo might be the best bet, good value/looks nice/adequate power but i`d like to know what they`re like when hitting big mileage before buying one.

307hdi is a great engine i`d imagine, i had 306 non turbo diesel vans and they were bullet proof, the hdi is a nice engine, but i myself wouldnt be mad on the looks of the 307 van.

Hmmmmm, if you can afford the new type corolla van that would probably be a decent van.

Hmmm, let us know what you decide as i might be buying another car/van in the near future meself and may consider the almeara.
Rudolph Claus is offline  
02-07-2007, 09:59   #11
colm_mcm
rotaredoM
 
colm_mcm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 32,582
the smaller bhp is 110 if i remember correctly, not many are 130-something bhp like in the Primera
colm_mcm is offline  
02-07-2007, 20:52   #12
Rudolph Claus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,042
have we established whether its a Nissan or a Renault engine?
Rudolph Claus is offline  
02-07-2007, 21:33   #13
blockman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttzy
The 2.2turbo almeara van is 140bhp and has a 6spd gearbox if i recall correctly. Theres a smaller bhp model too isnt there, not sure what litre engine that is though. If its a renault engine it might be a bit dodgey?

What other car vans are you considering, the golfs are ridiculously overrated/overpriced/underspeced.

The focus van(not the new yoke), 1.8turbo might be the best bet, good value/looks nice/adequate power but i`d like to know what they`re like when hitting big mileage before buying one.

307hdi is a great engine i`d imagine, i had 306 non turbo diesel vans and they were bullet proof, the hdi is a nice engine, but i myself wouldnt be mad on the looks of the 307 van.

Hmmmmm, if you can afford the new type corolla van that would probably be a decent van.

Hmmm, let us know what you decide as i might be buying another car/van in the near future meself and may consider the almeara.

I wish I could afford to look at new model carvans, alas my hard earned cash can only streach to the 02 almera van which I think is not that powerfull.
blockman is offline  
02-07-2007, 22:14   #14
Rudolph Claus
Banned
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,042
Quote:
Originally Posted by blockman
I wish I could afford to look at new model carvans, alas my hard earned cash can only streach to the 02 almera van which I think is not that powerfull.
The 2.2 is 130/140bhp?? thats powerful enough surely.
Rudolph Claus is offline  
02-07-2007, 22:37   #15
blockman
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuttzy
The 2.2 is 130/140bhp?? thats powerful enough surely.
Would the 02 model be that powerful?.
blockman is offline  
Thread Closed

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search