Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Here was go again (Islam Forum)

Options
  • 24-06-2007 5:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭

Hello,

Just wanted to point out this thread in Islam

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055111316

To cut a long story short a mod is supporting stoning to death of women for adultery.....
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Without having read the thread at all, my first inclination is to say that there is no way the mod is supporting the stoning to death of women for adultery, and that your conclusion is way off.

However, if you can point me to specific parts of that thread where the mod has expressed his support for stoning women, I'll stand corrected.

That said, if the mod does support the stoning to death of women for adultery - so what? What bearing does that have on Feedback? What would you like to see done about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭jhegarty

Post 3 & 10 is the one I am referring to.

I asked for clarification on the thread, but didn't get an answer. One poster called me a "a disgrace to humanity" but thats about it.

Can't use report post because its a mod , so understood this was the correct place to bring it up.

If not, then let the cats commence...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Reported posts go to a forum for all to see, not just a mod. I think InFronts comment was fair enough, particularly balances actually. Perhaps you should read the posts by the moderators on that forum. They seem quiet tolerant in general.

And btw, I know that's a massive clime down from previous comments I've made, but opinions change with experience.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

I would have thought post 16 was a more thorough explanation of my opinion jhegarty. The whole issue was pretty well covered in that thread up until a point where Don Jose and Medin started to act a bit out of order.

In my opinion, there is a basis is the Shariah for the death penalty, and Shariah does allow stoning as a means of death. Would you have preferred me to suggest otherwise? I'm not sure what else I can add to that. I can't re-write Shariah or my interpretations of rulings by the ulema (scholars)

Thread's all yours.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,714 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

jhegarty wrote:
    Post 3 & 10 is the one I am referring to.

I asked for clarification on the thread, but didn't get an answer. One poster called me a "a disgrace to humanity" but thats about it.

Can't use report post because its a mod , so understood this was the correct place to bring it up.

If not, then let the cats commence...
    Ok, you didn't answer the most important part of my question, so I'll have to ask it again:

What if the mods think stoning a woman to death for adultery should be advocated? Are they not entitled to that opinion? If not, what would you like done about it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

what about having the opinion that it is ok to stone to death homosexuals? would that be tolerated on boards?

RuggieBear wrote:
    what about having the opinion that it is ok to stone to death homosexuals? would that be tolerated on boards?
    That's an incongruous analogy.

By your analysis, homosexuality is wrong. It isn't. Adultery is.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The Catholic church says its wrong. So is it ok to say it as long as its from a religious standpoint?

Women are stoned under islamic law for going against its rules (adultery) so can priests now start stoning for being gay?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I don't see how the analogy is incongruous in the slightest.

Homosexuality is considered very wrong indeed by a lot of religions, so it's a perfectly relevant analogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

How is adultery wrong?:confused:

sex between two consenting adults is wrong?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

RuggieBear wrote:

IT may welll be morally wrond, but worthy of the death penalty is somethign different altogether.

RuggieBear wrote:

sex between two consenting adults is wrong?
    It's a wrong against the person to whom the adulterer is married.

That depends on personal prospective. I don't think the mod was advocating stoning, here or anywhere, just that it may be exceptable in certain circumstances for crimes to be punished in that way, adultry being the crime. I don't think he was saying that it should be ok to beat you wife to death with a stone cause she's fuking the post man.

Ok, you didn't answer the most important part of my question, so I'll have to ask it again:

What if the mods think stoning a woman to death for adultery should be advocated? Are they not entitled to that opinion? If not, what would you like done about it?

To be honest he may be entitled to such a view , but I have seen people banned of far less extreme examples of sexism (as men don't get stoned for the same "crime")

What do I want done about it?
    A debate on its acceptably on boards would do fine for me....As I understand it, its the only in the admin's power to decide if anything is done about it....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Aside from my opinion that no one deserves that punishment and it is completely sick....

What if someone was caught for adultery but didn't believe in the Muslim faith or was an athiest?

Would he or she get away with it?

jhegarty: Its an islamic forum, and it's part of Shariah law, you should accept these two points if you want to post on the topic. There are a lot of attitudes expressed on boards which I know some of the admins don't hold par with, but their still allowed.

Aside from my opinion that no one deserves that punishment and it is completely sick....

What if someone was caught for adultery but didn't believe in the Muslim faith or was an athiest?

Would he or she get away with it?

This is feedback, not the islamic forum. If you want to discuss the topic, go to the thread linked above.

Nahh i dont want to get banned. Or cause "trouble" in any sense.

Nahh i dont want to get banned. Or cause "trouble" in any sense.

What are you 12, Daddy boston will ask the question for you.

Nah id probably get obnoxious as things progressed. Im against religions in all forms. Anyhoo... back to the topic :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

I think we should draw a distinction between matters of religious faith and advocating violence.

As far as I know stoning to death is not allowed under Irish Law despite the fact that it is under Shariah Law.

Would a Muslim who stoned a person to death in Ireland for whatever reason be let off scott free by the Irish Courts?

If the answer is no, then advocating such as punishment is advocating an illegal violent act.
    A bannable offence? Even for a Mod? Up to the Admins. They should make a clear call on this one.

• Advertisement

Yea, but capital punishment is not allowed here in any form but saying "I agree with the death penalty" is grand, in fact saying you advocate the death penalty is grand also. Saying that you should go out and kill someone is different.

Boston wrote:
    Yea, but capital punishment is not allowed here in any form but saying "I agree with the death penalty" is grand, in fact saying you advocate the death penalty is grand also. Saying that you should go out and kill someone is different.

I think its the difference between "i agree with the death penalty for pedophiles" and "i think pedophiles should be hunted down a shot"....

I would have no problem with someone saying the first, its expressing an options ... the other is nothing short of incitement in my book...

Ok, and where did the mod say that those that commit adultery should be hunted down and stoned to death? He said that in certain cases stoning to death is an acceptable punishment. I fail to see how that's different to saying "In certain cases the electric chair is an acceptable punishment". Both acts are incredibly brutal, both are equally abhorrent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Boston wrote:
    He said that in certain cases stoning to death is an acceptable punishment. I fail to see how that's different to saying "In certain cases the electric chair is an acceptable punishment". Both acts are incredibly brutal, both are equally abhorrent.
    Stoning to death is not acceptable in any case in Ireland, neither is the electric chair.
    Advocating such violent behaviour should not be condoned.

Hagar wrote:
    Stoning to death is not acceptable in any case in Ireland, neither is the electric chair.
    Advocating such violent behaviour should not be condoned.

I agree that advocating individuals to carry out such acts should be stamped on hard. But we're talking about advocating a state to dispense punishment for a crime. It's something that happens all the time in conversation and discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

It's a wrong against the person to whom the adulterer is married.
    Pretty sure a divorce needs both people to agree. If one refuses to sign, yet you seperete, go elsewhere, and then start to date somoene, you are an adulterer.

=-=

The thread in question is about Islam & stoning. The Islamic mofo's then answered the question, saying that under Islamic law, that stoning is allowed.

=-=

Someone can't away with killing someone under Islamic law in Ireland, as they would be commiting an offense under Irish law.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭InFront

Look the question was brought up in relation to what the Shari'ah says about stoning in the most serious cases of adultery. One moderator is of the opinion that this may not be an authentic aspect of Shari'ah, I think, from what I've read of the traditions and from fatawa (decisions/ rulings by scholars), that it is supported as a means of execution under Sharia'h Law.
    I'm not saying I enjoy or delight at what is undoubtedly a very disturbing idea, but it's not about personal opinions. Nor is it about something as ridiculous as an individual Muslim going out looking for adulterers or attacking adulterers.

It's an Islam forum, not a personal philosophy or revisionist forum. The correct answer isn't always the most attractive one, but if someone is going to ask a straightforward question about what the Shari'ah says, they should get a straightforward answer about what the Shari'ah says - or more precisely, how an individual Muslim interprets the Shari'ah in that regard.
    Apart from saying I understand the Shari'ah to say something else, when I don't, I'm not sure what's expected here.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

jhegarty wrote:
    Hello,

Just wanted to point out this thread in Islam

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055111316

To cut a long story short a mod is supporting stoning to death of women for adultery.....

I don't know how Boston took this as someone scared to post in the Islam forum. Looks like a normal post questioning a post. Perfectly valid, and I checked and your not banned so as long as you remain in within the charter there is nothing to "fear".

Actually if anything the other mods are strict on holding me back. :) If it was up to me I would of banned more then the two.

As for the Infronts post. As he points out in Post 16 he clearly states his personal opinion on Stoning/Death Penalty.

His earlier posts were in relation to Islamic religion. It might not be an answer you like, but it is an answer and it is the intention of the forum.

But let me make one thing clear. The thread is not for Infront to have defend himself. If you want to take that discussion then go to PM.

I mean what were people expecting? A denial? It would be pointless as this does go on, however aspects of it have been clarified.

When you hit report post a mail goes to all the moderators of the forum, cat mods and to the admins (afaik) and to a special forum where other mods can review it.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

RuggieBear wrote:

I've been on boards years and I can tell you that there are enough conflicting opinions here that you will find at least one that offends you in some way. Including what you list as an example.

It wouldn't be tolerated on boards, but doesn't mean that everyone on boards shares the same moral compass as you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,153 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

Hobbes wrote:
    But let me make one thing clear. The thread is not for Infront to have defend himself. If you want to take that discussion then go to PM.

So I can state any opinion I want on boards in a thread but if someone wants to challenge me they have to take it to PM?

Advertisement