Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HOWTO: Lucid Dreaming

Options
  • 18-06-2007 11:50pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I came across this site earlier on. I've had a read through it and it provides a number of techniques for experiencing lucid dreaming, also often known as astral travel or astral projection. I haven't tried them yet but I hope to over the coming weeks and will post back how I get on.

I thought I'd post it hear in case anyone else was interested. Ideally I'd love if two or more of us could learn to regularly engage in astral travel and then see if we could conduct some experiments, perhaps having people try to meet astrally and exchange some information.

http://www.stuartwilde.com/Articles/SW_articles_lucid_dreaming.html

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Uh, no.

Lucid dreaming is a dream state where one becomes aware that one is dreaming. People can often control the events of the dream once this happens. This is not in any way paranormal.

The above guide teaches lucid dreaming. It doesn't even claim to teach Astral Travel. Now, perhaps people believe lucid dreaming can lead to Astral Travel, but to say they're the same thing is very very wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 miamigal

I always know that I'm dreaming. If I'm having a scary dream I think to myself 'It's ok, this is a dream' and kind of will myself to wake up. I find that this happens more when I go back to sleep in the morning after I've already woken up, and I can control things more then aswell.

Seems like this is a normal thing...meeting up in astral form? eh?? I don't think that that's something you can just learn

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Nick_oliveri

Nothing better than becoming aware of your nightmares when you were a kid and beating the sh1t out of those monsters or nasty things. Never seemed to have enough power to do enough damage to the bastards. Almost like you were drunk or drugged.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Astral travel something I have done and actually met successful with a fellow poster here. I wont name the other poster because its not my place but its an incredible experience. I do it maybe once a month now and its just like going for a relaxing walk.

Afaik luid dreaming is something different as statedd above but its mistakenly used so oftenm its kinda interchangeable now depending on who you talk too.

Nothing better than becoming aware of your nightmares when you were a kid and beating the sh1t out of those monsters or nasty things. Never seemed to have enough power to do enough damage to the bastards. Almost like you were drunk or drugged.

:) yeah its like kicking someone with a numb leg.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Well I suppose it's a matter of opinion, and possibly definition.

My understanding is that both are two sides of the same coin. Both revolve around entering the same state. Where they differ is that lucid dreaming (generally) entails realising that you are in a dream state and then taking control of that dream conciously generating imagery with your mind, whereas astral travel (again generally) entails realising that you are in a dream state but then dismissing the dream, removing the mental imagary leaving only the astral.

I may be very wrong, but that's always been my understanding.

stevenmu wrote:
    astral travel (again generally) entails realising that you are in a dream state but then dismissing the dream, removing the mental imagary leaving only the astral.

I may be very wrong, but that's always been my understanding.

Well from my personal experiences and understanding astral travel is more than just realising you are in a dream state but that people can actually put themselves into the state without being asleep. I have done it in deep meditation. In those cases there is no dream to dismiss but usually a set goal or journey i want to take.

I usually head up to the wicklow mountains.

6th wrote:
    I do it maybe once a month now and its just like going for a relaxing walk.

I usually head up to the wicklow mountains.

Have you ever gone anywhere you haven't seen before? If this is something you can do repeatidly then why don't you do some quick tests?

For example, get a big box and a deck of cards. Put the deck face down, close your eyes, pick a card randomly, turn it over and place it in the box. Then go to bed, astral travel and see what the card is. Wake up later and see if you were right. If you can do this then you should take Randi's test and make a million dollars as well as prove to the world that Astral Travel is real.

Makes sense?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

6th wrote:
    I have done it in deep meditation. In those cases there is no dream to dismiss but usually a set goal or journey i want to take.
    That's certainly another way of doing it, and there's more than one (hence my 'generally' qualifier :) ). It's more common though for people to experience it through sleep/lucid dreaming.

Zillah wrote:
    Have you ever gone anywhere you haven't seen before?

Yes.
    Zillah wrote:
    If this is something you can do repeatidly then why don't you do some quick tests?

For example, get a big box and a deck of cards. Put the deck face down, close your eyes, pick a card randomly, turn it over and place it in the box. Then go to bed, astral travel and see what the card is. Wake up later and see if you were right.

I've never been able to interact with my surroundings so opening a box wouldn't be possible.

Zillah wrote:
    If you can do this then you should take Randi's test and make a million dollars as well as prove to the world that Astral Travel is real.

Makes sense?

Of course Zillah we both know where you are coming from and it makes sense. Fact is that I'd love a million dollars! However I wouldnt want to go through what I would have to to get it. When I AT I am completely relaxed ... completely. You think you could relax in a situation like that? Besides Randi no longer just takes in anyone because he was getting too many nutjobs. He has stated that he will only request that people in the media, such as the Sylvia Browns & Derek Acorahs of the world.

Do I like money? YES
    Do I like attention? YES
    Would I like a world where I would be constantly hasselled and take the chance of my family life taking the strain? NO

I'm all for pointing out crazy claims but I only believe in what I have seen/done because I have experienced them. I have never asked for anyone to except my claims, just to allow me to make them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭kshiel

6th wrote:
    Astral travel something I have done and actually met successful with a fellow poster here. I wont name the other poster because its not my place but its an incredible experience. I do it maybe once a month now and its just like going for a relaxing walk.

Afaik luid dreaming is something different as statedd above but its mistakenly used so oftenm its kinda interchangeable now depending on who you talk too.

Is this me or have you been bothering other people aswell :D

It was you, I have bothered others but you are the only Boardsie :D

6th wrote:
    It was you, I have bothered others but you are the only Boardsie :D

Did you have any degree of sucess with the non boardsie's?

6th wrote:
    I've never been able to interact with my surroundings so opening a box wouldn't be possible.

Well...I had imagined an open box, that maybe you'd leave on a high tabel or shelf so the lip is above eye level.

Ok, so lets not go to Randi. Could you perhaps try the box idea a couple times and get back to me? I'd be terribly impressed.

Sure Zillah its a worthwhile test so I'll give it a go. With baby due any time in the next 2 weeks or so you might have to remind me .... relaxed time at the moment is very rare!

6th wrote:
    Sure Zillah its a worthwhile test so I'll give it a go. With baby due any time in the next 2 weeks or so you might have to remind me .... relaxed time at the moment is very rare!

Cool, congratulations :)

There's a small chance I'll be the guy behind the reception desk when you bring her in :D

stevenmu wrote:
    That's certainly another way of doing it, and there's more than one (hence my 'generally' qualifier :) ). It's more common though for people to experience it through sleep/lucid dreaming.

While I would agree that astral travel would be more to the meditative state than the dream state, I dont see why it couldn't be obtained/experiemented with in the sleep state. Lets say two people exchange say a photo and use this as the trigger object to the dream but could also be used as a concentration or connection to that other person and see what happens.

Advertisement