Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

GAA Bashing

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭popebenny16

Two thoughts strike me.

1. Pro Ratia "WE" (the taxpayers) are paying more into Landsdowne Road than Croke Park despite it being owned by the local francises of two of the planets most popular sports.

2. Poor JD was "forced" to play Bogball at school. He obvoiusly wasnt very good at it. Fair enough, neither was I, in fact I was really terrible at Badminton for some reason but I'm not going to get into such a hissy fit over Badminton. Maybe poor JD mouthed off at soemone on the team in his L.C. Honours History Project mantra way and suffered the delight of losing several teeth?

Poor lad, he should simply chill.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

"The zeal of a convert is always nauseating."

True, very true.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Seanies32 wrote:
    "The zeal of a convert is always nauseating."

True, very true.
    Huh? Lemlin, get your English Leaving Cert A1 onto that link and translate it for me. Im completely lost. So he doesnt like GAA?
    JD wrote:
    So should we 'West-Brits' be grateful?

Yes.......yes you should :D

His blog reminds me of this...
    http://youtube.com/watch?v=PPNB2jUKXlc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

This jd muppet likes the sound of his own voice too much I think.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭jdoffakeempire

Hi,
    Two thoughts strike me.

1. Pro Ratia "WE" (the taxpayers) are paying more into Landsdowne Road than Croke Park despite it being owned by the local francises of two of the planets most popular sports.

Poor lad, he should simply chill.

'Pro-Ratia' hmmm, isn't that a supurios diversion from the real topic? The GAA's generational strangle-hold on the Governments sporting purse.

My feelings about the 'quality' (and I use this term loosely) of Gaelic Football aside, long, long before before Landsdowne Road was being planned to be redeveloped where was government funding then? When did Rugby and Soccer feature in the spreading of Governmental wealth.

Perhaps this unbalanced and inequitable situation is finally being redressed, after years of sporting myopia by successive Gvts, no?

Or maybe, the mists of the inbred Gaelic Dev like waking dream have lifted and all sporting children of the nation whether cricket, badminton, GAA or swimming will be cerished equally from Government buildings.

I'm also very chilled. Thank you.

• Advertisement

baztard wrote:
    This jd muppet likes the sound of his own voice too much I think.

I do like teh sound of my own voice, actually, somepeople have compared my cultured urbane tones to the great Dublin player Barney Rock... wait a second!

Theres a very simple solution available to you. Don't like my opinions. Don't read my blog.

That way you allow me to talk to myself to my hearts content.

At least that way I may have may have an intelligent conversation.

jd

Hi,

'Pro-Ratia' hmmm, isn't that a supurios diversion from the real topic? The GAA's generational strangle-hold on the Governments sporting purse.

/QUOTE]

50,000 capacity stadium in Lansdowne gets €190 million from the taxpayer

82,000 capacity stadium in Croke Park gets €110 million from the taxpayer

not that spurious.

I do like teh sound of my own voice, actually, somepeople have compared my cultured urbane tones to the great Dublin player Barney Rock... wait a second!

Theres a very simple solution available to you. Don't like my opinions. Don't read my blog.

That way you allow me to talk to myself to my hearts content.

At least that way I may have may have an intelligent conversation.

jd

Yes, we but we have to read it to know your opinion and we're entitled not to agree.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭One Cold Hand

I didn't spend too long looking jd, but you didn't seem to tell us what sport you DO appreciate. Do you play soccer? Would you prefer to see the governments money pumped into Rugby? I'm just curious....

Seanies32 wrote:
    Yes, we but we have to read it to know your opinion and we're entitled not to agree.

Absolutely. But posters have commented on my blog and here and instead of dealing with the substantive issues that I brought up in my post, we get the usual GAA 'class warrior' nonsense.

That if criticizing the GAA is the mark on a limp wristed D4 liberal - when I'm not (I'm from D6 actually).

Now, the sports are a separate issue. I don't care for Gaelic Football but I also don't care for Rugby League, Tennis or Bullfighting. I'm not overly gone on soccer either.

But the issue of the GAA as a irredentist, backward looking 'political' organization that treats it's own players like serfs - that's a debate.

So you're entitled to disagree with my argument. But my argument not me.

• Advertisement

Hi,

/QUOTE]

50,000 capacity stadium in Lansdowne gets €190 million from the taxpayer

82,000 capacity stadium in Croke Park gets €110 million from the taxpayer

not that spurious.

Actually, your costings are out by about 50 million on Croke Park on pre 1997 funds according to the GAA Audit of 2005. Plus if you factor conversion from punts to euro, further inflationary factors and also the rise in labor costs mean in adjusted value both stadiums are running about par.

But again that really isn't the issue. Why shouldn't tax payers pay for all sports not just those deemed politically expedient - especially those that raise the profile of the country at international level?

I'd be interested in your response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Punchbowl

Yes, it's me. The convert. I've got three tickets for the game on Sunday. One for my Dad, one for me and one for my Nephew. Wherever we stand on this issue, it's great to be able to bring 3 generations of my own family to, as far as I'm concerned, an exhibition of sport and indeed, culture.

I guess JD drew from my blog that the aggressive recruitment process they tried to employ on me is typical of the organisation and I guess I can concur with that. It was pretty heavy handed. It was difficult also to play other sports and be 'dedicated' to your GAA team.. But that's all in the past.

Maybe I should bring you too JD?

Absolutely. But posters have commented on my blog and here and instead of dealing with the substantive issues that I brought up in my post, we get the usual GAA 'class warrior' nonsense.

That if criticizing the GAA is the mark on a limp wristed D4 liberal - when I'm not (I'm from D6 actually).

Now, the sports are a separate issue. I don't care for Gaelic Football but I also don't care for Rugby League, Tennis or Bullfighting. I'm not overly gone on soccer either.

But the issue of the GAA as a irredentist, backward looking 'political' organization that treats it's own players like serfs - that's a debate.

So you're entitled to disagree with my argument. But my argument not me.

Look there was plenty of debate on here about CP etc. We could go on and on about it, but for me the vast majority accept it, and is that a bad thing?

Anyway, how does the GAA treat its players as serfs?

Punchbowl wrote:
    Yes, it's me. The convert. I've got three tickets for the game on Sunday. One for my Dad, one for me and one for my Nephew. Wherever we stand on this issue, it's great to be able to bring 3 generations of my own family to, as far as I'm concerned, an exhibition of sport and indeed, culture.

I guess JD drew from my blog that the aggressive recruitment process they tried to employ on me is typical of the organisation and I guess I can concur with that. It was pretty heavy handed. It was difficult also to play other sports and be 'dedicated' to your GAA team.. But that's all in the past.

Maybe I should bring you too JD?

Thanks man, but I'll pass - I've a gallery opening, a wine tasting and a servant hunt later that day.

I've also got to clean the yatch - the ambassador's party really make a mess of the deck. Do you know how to get caviar stains out of silk?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭baztard

This is a irredentist, introspective organisation who for 99% of it's history practiced a form sporting aparthied, whose ethno-nationalistic vision and politics is a throw back to the 'Potato Republic'. It is narrow minded, insular and has for years been a barrier to this country achieving true sporting greatness on a global stage through it's Catholic Church like brain washing monopoly on the country's young.

Haha, you speak of intelligence! Read your own blog buddy. Pure ancient stereotype rubbish.

Actually, your costings are out by about 50 million on Croke Park on pre 1997 funds according to the GAA Audit of 2005. Plus if you factor conversion from punts to euro, further inflationary factors and also the rise in labor costs mean in adjusted value both stadiums are running about par.

But again that really isn't the issue. Why shouldn't tax payers pay for all sports not just those deemed politically expedient - especially those that raise the profile of the country at international level?

Most GAA followers dont have a problem with funding for Lansdowne Road, but a lot of supporters of other sports seem to have a gripe about the CP funding.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Look there was plenty of debate on here about CP etc. We could go on and on about it, but for me the vast majority accept it, and is that a bad thing?

Anyway, how does the GAA treat its players as serfs?

Surely as a fan, you know the lenghts these players go to play for their teams.

Up until recently the GAA point blank refused to even think about players grants to cover even the most basic of expenses (such a loss of earnings).

They were shamed into this.

Yeah you wanna be a writer....I would use that blog as a reference.

The Ross O'Carroll Kelly slot has been filled mate.

baztard wrote:
    Haha, you speak of intelligence! Read your own blog buddy. Pure ancient stereotype rubbish.

Hey, it's a perspective. mine. on my blog.

don't like it ... tough.

But if that's the best you can do...

Yeah you wanna be a writer....I would use that blog as a reference.

The Ross O'Carroll Kelly slot has been filled mate.

Thank you. You're too kind.

• Advertisement

Surely as a fan, you know the lenghts these players go to play for their teams.

Up until recently the GAA point blank refused to even think about players grants to cover even the most basic of expenses (such a loss of earnings).

They were shamed into this.

They do get expenses. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved but it as an amateur sport. That's the central arguement.

I didn't spend too long looking jd, but you didn't seem to tell us what sport you DO appreciate. Do you play soccer? Would you prefer to see the governments money pumped into Rugby? I'm just curious....

I'm a fan of Rugby. I can watch soccer. But fencing is really my thing ;)

Seanies32 wrote:
    They do get expenses. I'm not saying it couldn't be improved but it as an amateur sport. That's the central arguement.

Well we're in agreement so, it's amateur so. Which to my mind explains alot.

Seanies32 wrote:

Most GAA followers dont have a problem with funding for Lansdowne Road, but a lot of supporters of other sports seem to have a gripe about the CP funding.

They do. For two reason's 1/ the GAA has held a strangle hold on the sports funding purse. 2/ Other sports add to the country's international standing, many feel ( I am one of them) that the GAA does not.

I'm a fan of Rugby. I can watch soccer. But fencing is really my thing ;)

Well I'm not generally one to take things out of context, and I am a fan rugby aswell, but to some people this could be a description of rugby:

"it is an uncultured, undignified, unglorified fight between gombeen men for the pride of their knuckle dragging gombeen hoardes."

What do you think? How would you describe rugby and soccer. How are they more cultured that GAA?

Well I'm not generally one to take things out of context, and I am a fan rugby aswell, but to some people this could be a description of rugby:

"it is an uncultured, undignified, unglorified fight between gombeen men for the pride of their knuckle dragging gombeen hoardes."

What do you think? How would you describe rugby and soccer. How are they more cultured that GAA?

Firstly, how many fights, off the ball incidents and plain old thuggery have we scene on a GAA field.

Cast our minds back to the recent Cork Vs. Tipp hurling match - and that was before the game even began.

Now, I'm not saying R or Soc don't have their moments - but for sheer thuggery off the ball and on the ball, the GAA wins hands down.

As for Cultured. Most of the world plays Rugby, the entire planet play soccer, some of the greatest global sporting moments have been achieved in both sports - hence the impact on human culture has been greater.

Also, you can't get cool stuff outside of Dublin.

Well we're in agreement so, it's amateur so. Which to my mind explains alot.

Down with that sort of thing. :confused:

Seanies32 wrote:
    Down with that sort of thing. :confused:

:D

Indeed.

• Advertisement

They do. For two reason's 1/ the GAA has held a strangle hold on the sports funding purse. 2/ Other sports add to the country's international standing, many feel ( I am one of them) that the GAA does not.

Stranglehold? No. The reason they got a lot funding for CP and other didn't for a long time was the failure of the Bertie Bowl and the lack of proposals from the IRFU/FAI. Not the GAA's fault.

International standing is important, so are our indigenous games. Both should be funded properly.

• Registered Users Posts: 761 ✭✭✭grahamo

I have no gripe about Croke Park being paid for by taxpayer's money. What I have a gripe about is the fact that other sports don't get the same level of funding.The stuff about people who don't like / Play GAA being yuppies or westbrits is crap. In Dublin the kids prefer football (the global game). The soccer clubs get far less funding than the GAA which means teams often get changed at the side of the pitch or in grubby portakabins while the better funded GAA clubs have top of the range facilities in their clubhouses.

grahamo wrote:
    I have no gripe about Croke Park being paid for by taxpayer's money. What I have a gripe about is the fact that other sports don't get the same level of funding.The stuff about people who don't like / Play GAA being yuppies or westbrits is crap. In Dublin the kids prefer football (the global game). The soccer clubs get far less funding than the GAA which means teams often get changed at the side of the pitch or in grubby portakabins while the better funded GAA clubs have top of the range facilities in their clubhouses.

Could also have something to do with funding from the GAA and of course fundraising by the clubs themselves.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Stranglehold? No. The reason they got a lot funding for CP and other didn't for a long time was the failure of the Bertie Bowl and the lack of proposals from the IRFU/FAI. Not the GAA's fault.

International standing is important, so are our indigenous games. Both should be funded properly.

You see that's where I disagree. I believe the international games are infinitely more important. Not debating whether the FAI are a shower of blaggards, that couldn't organise a committee meeting without alienating someone.

I will however debate that the GAA are more than just a sporting organisation with unprecedented political power...

You see that's where I disagree. I believe the international games are infinitely more important. Not debating whether the FAI are a shower of blaggards, that couldn't organise a committee meeting without alienating someone.

I will however debate that the GAA are more than just a sporting organisation with unprecedented political power...

Can you explain how they have political power please....

grahamo wrote:

Other sports don't get the same level of funding as not as many people play them. GAA is the most played sport in Ireland, between football, hurling, camogie, handball, etc...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭stooge

Hey, it's a perspective. mine. on my blog.

don't like it ... tough.

But if that's the best you can do...

Yes it's your blog and we dont have to read it, but when you post here on Boards and in the GAA forum then we have to read your comments and the link. In effect it is trolling and the worst kind. Ive little time for a wannabe writer coming up with an offensive and poorly written piece of trash who knows he'll get rise out of someone. It's like reading The Sun.

WRT the issue itself, I have been to a few matches both football and hurling in croke park, I played when I was younger for a local team and was ASKED (not forced) to play for my school team. I played a few senior games for my club but got a few bruises and bumps and was put off by it. I havent played since.

Now.. you might be thinking this proves your point about Gaelic being thuggish but I've played to a very high level in soccer and also played rugby while in univeristy.
    I can say that the off the ball headbutts, punches, kicks and dangerous career threatening tackles have been much worse in soccer. As for rugby, I found that it was more about power than any skill. The only reason I played and continue to play soccer is because I believe I am better at that and if I was to play Gaelic I would not be able to commit fully to all matches and training.

The GAA gets a terrible bashing particularly over the rules regarding security forces and foreign sports but I am amazed at the amount of foreign people living in Ireland and abroad who have asked me about Hurling and Football and the chances of going to a match because they felt it was so exciting to watch.

It may not be a worldwide game but it certainly has gained a lot of far reaching admiration. The GAA and Gaelic Games are something which Ireland should be proud of and it's only right the governement spends money on it.

Firstly, how many fights, off the ball incidents and plain old thuggery have we scene on a GAA field.

Cast our minds back to the recent Cork Vs. Tipp hurling match - and that was before the game even began.

Now, I'm not saying R or Soc don't have their moments - but for sheer thuggery off the ball and on the ball, the GAA wins hands down.

As for Cultured. Most of the world plays Rugby, the entire planet play soccer, some of the greatest global sporting moments have been achieved in both sports - hence the impact on human culture has been greater.

We're back to the my sport is better/less thuggish than yours. GAA isn't perfect, but look at your own sports first. What about Trevor Brennan and the Ronan O'Gara incident. I've seen O'Driscoll and Stinger throw a few swings under the refs nose and it was ignored. Clean up your own sport first and then preach to us.

It was Cork V. Clare.

Most of the world plays Rugby?

Well your opinion on international games is your opinion, I think you'll find a majority wouldn' agree and say they should be treated equally.

GAA - political power - to an extent they have but so have the IRFU and the IRFU as a old boy's network to.

stooge wrote:
    Yes it's your blog and we dont have to read it, but when you post here on Boards and in the GAA forum then we have to read your comments and the link. In effect it is trolling and the worst kind. Ive little time for a wannabe writer coming up with an offensive and poorly written piece of trash who knows he'll get rise out of someone. It's like reading The Sun.

WRT the issue itself, I have been to a few matches both football and hurling in croke park, I played when I was younger for a local team and was ASKED (not forced) to play for my school team. I played a few senior games for my club but got a few bruises and bumps and was put off by it. I havent played since.

Now.. you might be thinking this proves your point about Gaelic being thuggish but I've played to a very high level in soccer and also played rugby while in univeristy.
    I can say that the off the ball headbutts, punches, kicks and dangerous career threatening tackles have been much worse in soccer. As for rugby, I found that it was more about power than any skill. The only reason I played and continue to play soccer is because I believe I am better at that and if I was to play Gaelic I would not be able to commit fully to all matches and training.

The GAA gets a terrible bashing particularly over the rules regarding security forces and foreign sports but I am amazed at the amount of foreign people living in Ireland and abroad who have asked me about Hurling and Football and the chances of going to a match because they felt it was so exciting to watch.

It may not be a worldwide game but it certainly has gained a lot of far reaching admiration. The GAA and Gaelic Games are something which Ireland should be proud of and it's only right the governement spends money on it.

Jesus. Knickers twisted yet? Play whatever sport you like. No-one is trying to take your ball away. Now deep breath. Calm down. Okay... now read on...

Listen, I tried my best to read your last post I really did but I got mid-way through and just got tired... suffice to say your perspective and mine are poles apart - and BTW that's fine.

as far as fine goes.

My experience was that my friend and I while not 'forced' to play GAA, we certainly were expected to. And at 13/14 expectations by teachers felt alot like being forced. I disliked it. And I dislike the sport to this day.

But lets be clear about one thing you are wrong about - your incorrect assertion about trolling, another individual (Punchbowl) brought my blog post to the collective attention here on this GAA forum - where the comments, were to be far less about the substantive issue of my posting - that the GAA is the embodiement of pure unadulterated evil (hey my opinion) and became more about myself.

Anyway, this really has been fun, in a pointless, 'I-should-be-working' way. But arguing with GAA people is alot like arguing with CJH-FF era loyalists who refuse that he did anything wrong. Like I said, it's more or less pointless.

But let's be clear - I didn't come here to convert anyone from their GAA fandom.

I'm not as arrogant to believe that one hyperbolic posting on a little blog that tends to be the ranting of one hyperly opinionated person (myself) will suddenly cause anyone to reasess there love of an sport, let alone affect the collective feelings towards the GAA on the board.

It's my blog and I'll cry if I want to.

But unfortunately, I won't fall into the 'Four legs good, two legs back' Animal Farm nonsense peddled by those who define an individuals Irishness by partcipation in native games, who came out of the woodwork before the six nations to spill their entho-nationalist bile and who are unwilling or genetically unwilling to look beyond the 'Shamrock' curtain to a utterly changed, more internationalist Ireland.

Is that 'all' GAA people. No. But it remains the mindset of many in the organisation, particularly those within positions of influence.

Foriegners may ask about our sports, some may even play them, but in the grand scheme of theme's 'our' native sports remain of little significance beyond this island.

Whether or not you find my writing enjoyable is naturally your opinion, but did you know alot of GAA people read the Irish Sun for its GAA coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,715 ✭✭✭Nalced_irl

Actually, my school was alot more about soccer than GAA and nobody was pressured to play either but anyway. Your entitled not to like GAA. I mean theres no law that says you have to like it or anything but for example, the poeple who came out protesting about Rugby in CP for example id say most of them have never been in a GAA ground in their life. Most people i know were happy enough to see other games played in CP or otherwise (like myself) had only 1 quam against it, and thats that the FAI should have their own stadium and not have to share with the GAA/IRFU.

• Advertisement

But arguing with GAA people is alot like arguing with CJH-FF era loyalists who refuse that he did anything wrong. Like I said, it's more or less pointless.

Bit like arguing with you. Pointless. Pot calling the kettle black

Nalced_irl wrote:
    Actually, my school was alot more about soccer than GAA and nobody was pressured to play either but anyway. Your entitled not to like GAA. I mean theres no law that says you have to like it or anything but for example, the poeple who came out protesting about Rugby in CP for example id say most of them have never been in a GAA ground in their life. Most people i know were happy enough to see other games played in CP or otherwise (like myself) had only 1 quam against it, and thats that the FAI should have their own stadium and not have to share with the GAA/IRFU.

Well, if you listened to the phone shows, certainly on RTE, the week before the french and england matches it wasn't just the Crypto-Republican-lunatic RSF fringe hyper-ventilating, it was dyed in the wool GAA people, voicing their shame of being GAA members as foreign games entered CP.

Do I believe the vast majority of GAA people wanted Rugby and Soccer in CP - yes, of course I do.

But as I've stated my primary problem is with the institution - while I dislike the sports in my half arsed culturally superior way (i'd much rather talk about art, women and wine) - I hate the way in which throughout it's history the GAA has positioned itself as self appointed gaurdians of a national sporting identity that for alot of people simply didn't exist.

Seanies32 wrote:
    Bit like arguing with you. Pointless. Pot calling the kettle black

Fair enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

grahamo wrote:

and when football clubs like Shamrock Rovers get their share the local Gah club go off to the high court and block it.....

The worst thing about the GAA getting huge swathes of public money (fair play to them, we need to improve sporting infrastructure in Ireland) is the total and absolute ingratitude elements of the association show and they then fight tooth and nail to stop others getting their slice of the pie.

GRAHAMO wrote:

The soccer clubs get far less funding than the GAA

How do you know this, do you have figures from the govt./lottery.

And if you are going to include CP in the figures also include the funding for Lansdowne.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

and when football clubs like Shamrock Rovers get their share the local Gah club go off to the high court and block it.....

Christ No. Not again please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Most of the world plays Rugby, the entire planet play soccer, some of the greatest global sporting moments have been achieved in both sports

With the exception of Argentina, rugby at the highest international level is played by the remnants of the British Empire.

What great global sporting moment has been achieved in rugby, I'm dying to know ?

to be fair to jd a lot of what he says in relation to his main point is correct - when you have a sporting organisation that has an overtly political element to it, albeit one that can also be looked upon as a cultural one - surely that presents a problem regarding the government providing funding to that organisation.

Now, my take on that is when you go outside of any large urban area in the country there were, until recently, no other sports organisations putting the work into the local areas. I say recently because in the past ten years or so the FAI and the IRFU have done a massive amount of work in relation to underage structures. My eldest kids are this year going to an FAI summer camp in Templemore and they play Rugby for Thurles. In fact the last season had the biggest enrollment of underage kids for Thurles and they have had to apply for more training for coaches. But you will have to accept that for many decades there was only the local GAA club doing things like that. I could give you a loooong post about how there is a large element of non-Dubs running and involved in Dublin GAA clubs and the effect that has on the Dublin Football and Hurling teams but I wont. Funnily enough, the opposite is starting to come through - there are boxing clubs springing up in Tipp and Laois and Kilkenny which have been set up by Dubs who moved down the country. The same flush of blood is driving the local soccer scene. Compare the junior soccer scene now to how it was ten years ago in Laois, Kildare and Meath.

Before all of this happened there was, yes, the GAA. It was left to the GAA to organise team sports in the vast majority of the country. Wasit because of this or in spite of this that government funding was so low for sports over all these years? I don't know. Is that why the GAA received and still receives such massive funding, as a sort of national thank you for all those years? I don't know that either, but i suspect that is John O'Donoghues thinking. Are there political die hards, foreign games stalwarts within the GAA? Yes, there are. Is it still a political force? Maybe. However, jd, I'm sure you'll agree that it is in no way as militant, no way as political and no way as smug and superior as it once was - otherwise rule 42 and the like would still be on the books.

Finally, if we're really looking for the villain of the piece we should wonder why there isn't a leisure centre and a swimming pool in every large town in this country. We should ask why we don't have decent athletics facilities and still expect aspiring *******ns to achieve crazy times in order to qualify for the games and other international championships.

Why isn't there a gym attached to every primary and secondary school in this so-called tiger country?

Forget about the GAA getting this and the FAI getting that and the IRFU or the Irish Cricket Union getting the other. There are fundamental problems relating to sport in this country that go far and beyond the issues we're nit picking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭kevmy

As regards funding. My own club raises money each and every week through club Lottos and gate receipts. It also raises money through membership subscriptions. This is were the vast amount of money comes from.
    The next biggest slice of cash is from the GAA central funding. Which they get from gate receipts from inter-county games.
    The only money our club got from the state in the past five years was two Lotto grants. One for building dugouts (a relatively small grant) and one for building a stand (a medium sized grant). These grants are open to every sporting organisation in the country. Perhaps it is the fact that there are many more GAA clubs with many more dedicated GAA people who are willing to fundraise on whatever level that get the clubs the money.
    Having said this a lot of GAA clubs struggle. Insurance costs have sky-rocketed, paying expenses to players (which I'm all for), maintaince of the grounds and other costs are all hugely expensive.
    Personnally I think that the reason other sports are jealous of the GAA's perceived wealth is due to the amount of money the clubs on the ground are able to raise, not the amount of cash they get from the government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭OhNoYouDidn't

kaimera wrote:
    Christ No. Not again please.

you are asking why there is hostility to the GAA, this is one of the main reasons its coming from football quarters at the moment.

it reinforced the Grab All Association title to many.

• Advertisement
Advertisement