Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL offering phone now?

Options
  • 23-05-2007 11:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭

Got a call about NTL phones service over the cable. Anyone else hear about it? It really only makes sense if you can only get BB via NTL.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Why bother giving NTL €10 a month for the privilidge when you an go PAYG with freespeech.ie or broadtalk? An ATA for your normal phone costs something like €25 from DigiDave.

I used to have a minimum eircom bill of over €100 and now my phone costs are less than a couple of euro each month. My mobile bill is a different story but then so is the point of having a landline these days unless for BB...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I tried Blueface in the past but had lots of problems with latency, and lag on phone calls. I upped the NTL to 256/2mb and that helped a bit. But it was too unreliable. So much so that after the trial period I cancelled it and reverted back to the 1mb connection. My phone line used to fail the BB tests so that wasn't an option. Skype works much better.

Do freespeech.ie or broadtalk give you the option of a Irish phone number etc? I don't think they are an option with the problems I've had with the NTL cable currently. I was wondering would the NTL phone be optimised better, and maybe work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,331 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Both have local number options.

If you are going down the VOIP route then you should utilise QOS on your router at least. Also you need to accept that it might not be as perfect as normal phone usage. But weighed up against the line rental and the dominance of mobile usage, it certainly is well worth it.

I was back and forth with blueface a lot with it. Tried lots of settings and never cracked the cause of it. I suspect contention issues with NTL in my area. I guess my question who be would the NTL phone have the same issue. I suspect it would myself. I was just wondering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,858 ✭✭✭paulm17781

The NTL one has QoS so you will get better quality than with any of the TPC. I'm quite happy with Blueface but if I were looking around I would probably go for the NTL option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

Why bother giving NTL €10 a month for the privilidge when you an go PAYG with freespeech.ie or broadtalk? An ATA for your normal phone costs something like €25 from DigiDave.

I used to have a minimum eircom bill of over €100 and now my phone costs are less than a couple of euro each month. My mobile bill is a different story but then so is the point of having a landline these days unless for BB...
    ntl line is 4euro per month when you have tv and broadband the 10 euro is when you onlt take tv and phone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭christophicus

isnt it ony 4 euro for a few months?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why bother giving NTL €10 a month for the privilidge when you an go PAYG with freespeech.ie or broadtalk?

imho Broadtalk (http://www.broadtalk.ie/) is as good as dead and anybody would be a fool to go with them, they haven't done a decent update to the site since 2005 and I've seen nothing but reports of people having problems buying credit on the VoIP forum

As such I would suggest that people not go with this VoIP provider imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 154 ✭✭altered121

isnt it ony 4 euro for a few months?
    :) €4 per month as long as you have tv bband and phone ( triple play )

cool, might go for tht myself

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

cool, might go for tht myself

or go for blueface.ie or freespeech.ie and pay as you go with no line rental and still get a phone number and all :)

You dont get a phone number with ntl?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

You dont get a phone number with ntl?

I've got Blueface and it's very good. I know someone who got NTL and I made a call on it the other day. Call clarity was stunning. Person involved got a local number, and , AFAIK, can port his number.

Hmmm tahts actually quite impressive on ntl's part.

"theres a sentence i never thought i would say"

Freddie59 wrote:
    I've got Blueface and it's very good. I know someone who got NTL and I made a call on it the other day. Call clarity was stunning. Person involved got a local number, and , AFAIK, can port his number.

I had the opposite experience but the fault was NTL's not Blueface.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭MHP

NTL have posted a new entry in the FAQ stating that number porting is now possible (and free).

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Blueface is 3rd party VOIP. Can't compete at all with Quality of NTL Cable (UPC) or Digiweb Metro "integrated" phone if you're installed corect.

MHP wrote:
    NTL have posted a new entry in the FAQ stating that number porting is now possible (and free).

Is it possible to port from a VOIP provider? I'm happy with Blueface but since UPC went awful the quality of my phone calls has gone dire, I barely use the 'landline' any more. Though it may be intentional (throttling), if UPC can offer a solid phone line, I'd probably take it...

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

watty wrote:
    Blueface is 3rd party VOIP. Can't compete at all with Quality of NTL Cable (UPC) or Digiweb Metro "integrated" phone if you're installed corect.

This is what I was trying to get out of the NTL drone that rang me about the phone service. He knew nothing basically other than the price (in fact he didn't even know that as he tried to sell it to me for €10 per month, when I'd be entitled to it for €4 per month given that I have broadband from them).

Anyway I was trying to get it across to him that I have signed up to a VoIP provider (Freespeech) and I was asking him what the advantage of moving to NTL for phone would be. I was hoping he'd be able to tell me the quality is much better, because I'm not that impressed with the VoIP that Freespeech provide. There's too much delay, it's painful to use.

If the quality is ok, I'd definitely consider it with the intention of dropping Eircom. I had intended to drop Eircom when I signed up to Freespeech, but I couldn't use Freespeech as my main phone, it's just not good enough.

I guess the problem like mine was the BB connection not the VOIP.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 355 ✭✭peepsbates

i have the ntl phone in for a few weeks now and the service is perfect,
    ive noticed no difference to eircoms service tbh only the price

I had the UPC phone service installed yesterday. So far so good. In the past I tried Blueface, Freespeech and Broadtalk and had problems with all of them - quality and CallerID in particular. No problems with UPC.
    6 months free and €4 per month thereafter, with free number porting - it's a good deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 481 ✭✭Couch Potato

Anybody using ntl phone service tried using standard dial-up modem over the service ?

I am interested to know as I have sky service also which requires a 'dial-back' facility to be in place for first year.

MHP wrote:
    I had the UPC phone service installed yesterday. So far so good. In the past I tried Blueface, Freespeech and Broadtalk and had problems with all of them - quality and CallerID in particular. No problems with UPC.
    6 months free and €4 per month thereafter, with free number porting - it's a good deal.

What number did you port? Was it an Eircom on or a VOIP provider one?

paulm17781 wrote:
    What number did you port? Was it an Eircom on or a VOIP provider one?

Eircom. I don't know if you can port a VoIP number. The porting form is here:

http://www.ntl.ie/pdf/NTL411_portingv4.pdf

MHP wrote:
    Eircom. I don't know if you can port a VoIP number. The porting form is here:

Not sure about a 076 number as this was created for VoIP and assigned as such,

However if you get a 01, 056, 051 etc number from a VoIP provider then you can port it to a POTS provider to use on their PSTN service....same as you can port a number from a POTS provider to a VoIP provider... :D

Cabaal wrote:
    However if you get a 01, 056, 051 etc number from a VoIP provider then you can port it to a POTS provider to use on their PSTN service....same as you can port a number from a POTS provider to a VoIP provider... :D

Are you sure? My VOIP has been suffering lately (NTL's fault not Blueface's) but if the NTL service will be better quality I may have no choice but to transfer.

Advertisement