Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Might have to witness in District Court

Options
  • 21-05-2007 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭

I got a call from the Commission for Taxi Regulation today about a complaint I made last month. They asked me if I was prepared to make a statement against the driver and to go to court.

I'm a little reluctant to stand up in court and give evidence against someone that I know nothing about. Will he get my name and address?

The overcharge involved was only a few euro, but in percentage terms was over 50%. I didn't like the brazen way in which he did it. The fare was at 5am so he probably thought I was too drunk to know otherwise.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Yes you will probably have to state your name and address. If you feel up to it you should go and nail the tosser. Ask the guard if you can avoid calling out your name and address in court>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The address of a witness should not be read out in open court.

My mate got his motorbike stolen and went to court They read out his name and address and asked him to confirm if he was that person. The guy who stole his bike told him he would come and get him and they had to move from their rented accommodation on the advice of the Gardai.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

I'm not exactly sure if I like the sound of this. :(

The three potential outcomes are:
    1. Prosecution
    2. Warning/Caution
    3. Vindication

Part of me hopes he gets away with a warning.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Turner

Go and act as the witness.

Gardai get threats daily from criminals ahead of court dates who regularly mouth off the Gardas home address.

Most are empty threats.

Without witnesses no prosecutions would ever take place.

• Advertisement

Yeah but why would you risk your family so that some crooked Taxi Driver gets a medium to small fine and a slap on the wrist. You should have refused to pay the fare at the time.

I was in to them there with the original of the receipt. Apparently they have something juicy but won't tell me yet. Looks like it is going to court. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

ballooba wrote:
    I was in to them there with the original of the receipt. Apparently they have something juicy but won't tell me yet. Looks like it is going to court. :eek:

As a taxidriver myself, and often imploring the TaxiRegulator to clean up the industry do let us know the outcome of this

The taxi driver received a warning for the infraction committed against me. The other offence was much more serious in nature (from what I was told). The regulator decide to prosecute him for that instead and I did not need to go to court.

Advertisement