Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Sky Multiroom Phoneline Question

• 11-05-2007 4:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

How Do People!!
    I have a standard sky box installed in the livingroom which has be there forever and has never been connected to the phoneline, last christmas i got a sky+ box put into the bedroom as a multiroom subscription and this is connected to the phoneline. I've read that both boxs have to be connected to the phoneline or else i will get charged 2 subscription fees!! This is not the case with mine so far so i was wondering could i move the original sky box that isn't connected to the phoneline to a new house that i just bought and continue my payments as normal?? or will i get caught?? I also read that people have moved the multiroom box to another location but bring it back once a month and force a callback does this work??
    Technically stupid so any help would gratefully apreciated....
    cheers
    Shane

Comments

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Uhm, if you haven't both boxes connected to the landline, then you should soon be getting letters from Sky requesting that you have them both connected or face the prospect of paying full sub-price for both boxes (and they do enforce it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaneycakes

Its been that way since last year and they've never contacted me...

byte

I'd expect they will do so very soon then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,249 ✭✭✭kbell

Friend of mine in similar situation, had std Sky but upgraded to sky+ multi room about a year ago.

She's has never been charged the extra €15 mirror sub, despite both boxes being conected to phone and both working fine.
    Recently she moved house and rang sky to cancel as she wanted to save a bit of money with the move, and that she wouldn't be getting a land line for a while,and all that happend is that the card in the std box has switched off and she's lost her Sky+ features on the Sky+ box but she continues to have full viewing on the + box without being charged.
    She also cancelled the direct debit.

I moved and reinstalled her equipment and at the moment she's enjoying a full sky world package for free in her living room on the +box and all the fta channels in her kitchen on the std.
    She's into her 2nd month in her new house and no problems yet.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

How do you force a callback..?I ask because Sky are getting onto to me about one of my boxes not been hooked up to a phone line,I have this box maybe 5 years I did not think it needs to be still connected to a line.

I don't want all the hassle of getting a phone line put into the bed room just for the Sky box as we don't even watch the sky in that room much.It would be handy if I could bring the box downstairs and force a callback as has been suggested above.

PS:Sorry for tread hijacking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

Hook the box upto the phoneline and do the following

Press services then option 7 to ensure its seeing the phoneline

If it is then exit back to picture and then do the following

Press services

Press "4"
    press 01 then select to access hidden engineer menu
    press option 6 new installation
    it will take a min or two
    then press select and it will make the callback

If the callback fails go into the hidden menu and instead of option 6 select option 3 telephone settings and try putting in the number 142 where it says dialling prefix, you will need to do this if your number is ex-directory...

Best of luck
    steve

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 shaneycakes

Thanks for your replies guys.. I think i'll give it a try and wait for sky to give me a slap on the wrists.. I'll let you know what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

If you have a multiroom sub both boxes MUST be on the same phone connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

You wont get a slap in the wrists more a hole in your pocket, keep an eye on your monthly subscription bill, as you will find its going to get higher until you connect both boxes to the line and force a callback and leave connected for a minimum of 12 months.

byte

There is no minimum 12 month term for Multiroom. Phonelines must be connected to BOTH boxes for the duration of the Multiroom subscription.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 scarab47

Hi Guys I have a major problem with my sky box as well. I have a standard box downstairs and a sky+ upstairs. Now I am being hit again with the inflated price 111 euro a month for the 2 subscriptions because the sky+ box is not doing a callback. I have gone through the usual steps in the new installation menu and this is the 4th time it happened I have had sky engineers out every time and it works for a few weeks but goes again.
    Now sky are saying that the box is out of warranty and they want a small fortune for an engineer to come out and fix it again which prob will not work AGAIN anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,336 ✭✭✭✭Tony

I would threaten to cancel they may then decide to send an engineer out.

scarab47 wrote:
    Hi Guys I have a major problem with my sky box as well. I have a standard box downstairs and a sky+ upstairs. Now I am being hit again with the inflated price 111 euro a month for the 2 subscriptions because the sky+ box is not doing a callback. I have gone through the usual steps in the new installation menu and this is the 4th time it happened I have had sky engineers out every time and it works for a few weeks but goes again.
    Now sky are saying that the box is out of warranty and they want a small fortune for an engineer to come out and fix it again which prob will not work AGAIN anyone have any ideas?

Desktop PC Boards discount code on https://www.satellite.ie/ is boards.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They will certainly send out an installer if you threaten to cancel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

Got Sky+ upgrade a couple of months back and now have multi-room too, have neither box connected to a phone line (Sky+ box was for a week or so) - not deliberate, just ordered some wireless equipment that was delayed and only arrived the other day, anyway - I've neither box connected and haven't received any letters about either of them from Sky and they haven't charged me any extra.........was expecting a letter to be honest....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

They have been very quick in the past to chase multi room phone fugitives. Normally they send about 5 letters before they charge you full price.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 melanie2009

I've really had a bellyful of Chorus and their inefficiency and can't bear to subscribe to Murdoch's empire have I any alternative for cable tc. I don't need anything complicated just the terestrial ones and a few BBc's I live in Dublin 10

Advertisement