Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Edinburgh

Options
  • 02-05-2007 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

As a kind of last-minute idea, Im thinking about going to Edinburgh for a working holiday this summer.

I don't know how difficult it would be to get a job and accomodation there, so it would be a great help if anyone who has been there could give me the names of good places to get a job or stay in.

I'm really clueless about the place so any help at all would be brilliant.

Thanks a mil!!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Oh, I live there, I can help!

You shouldn't have any problem at all finding accommodation. It's a student city, and most leave over the summer, so you should be fine getting a room. Get over there early to get a job. Just hand in CVs everywhere. Because of the Festival, tourism will shoot up, so there'll be plenty of vacancies, particularly along the Royal Mile.

Nice places to live are Marchmont (\o/), Tollcross, Newington, Old Town, New Town, Haymarket & the West End, or Leith if you're prepared to travel.

When you find a place, make sure you sign a contract guaranteeing you the room through the Festival, and make sure the rent isn't going to go up for August. Normally you'll pay about £250-£300 per month for a double bedroom, this can go up to God knows what in August. I'm renting out my 2-bed flat for about £900 a week over the festival.

As to where to find somewhere to live, try here. It's the Edinburgh University Student Forum's accommodation board. Many students advertise spare rooms there.

Edinburgh's a fantastic city, with loads to do. You'll never be bored here. There's more pubs and clubs than you can imagine, as well as so much more. Let me know if you've any more questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 18 mchalem4

Thanks a lot Faith, your comment was really helpful. Ive looked at that website forum you recommended and its been a great help. Ive already replied to a few notices, so we'll see how things go.

PS - If you or anyone can think of anything else that might be helpful to me, please let me know!!

Advertisement