Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell gives the go-ahead for Linux

Options
  • 01-05-2007 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭

According to the BBC

My bet is on Ubuntu :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-to-offer-ubuntu

:D

Interesting that they're offering 7.04 as the main installation, rather than the 6.06 LTS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

Interesting that they're offering 7.04 as the main installation, rather than the 6.06 LTS.

Is it because of the longer support with 6.06 that you say its interesting?

From BBC article:
    "Dell has heard you," said a statement on the firm's website.

They would want to start listening to people regarding tech support aswell.
    Why isn't that more popular in ideastorm?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

Wow, big surprise, go Dell. Might get me one then :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭niallb

http://www.ubuntu.com/news/dell-to-offer-ubuntu

:D

Ubuntu's support for 6.06 LTS on desktop has left a lot to be desired.
    Primary application for a lot of users is a web browser.
    Firefox in 6.06 is still a 1.5 version - even mozilla.org dropped support for it recently.

There are claims that there is too much work involved to release a firefox 2.0 version as it would require a lot of - genuinely awkward - library updates.
    Still though, isn't that what 'support' is supposed to mean?
    Dell would have had immediate problems trying to do front line support
    for Ubuntu 6.06, when every user as one of the first things they'd do would be to attempt to upgrade their browser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

Canonical will still be the ones providing support for Ubuntu on Dell. Dell will direct them to Canonical.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

From what I have read it will be in the USA and not here in EU
    Please correct me if I am wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭NutJob

wes wrote:
    Wow, big surprise, go Dell. Might get me one then :).

Mmmm cheap linux boxesss:)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

bogman wrote:
    From what I have read it will be in the USA and not here in EU
    Please correct me if I am wrong

Can't be long before we can get it here too. Its the future (like garlic bread).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,630 ✭✭✭Oracle

Great news. Also announced on the Direct2Dell blog: http://direct2dell.com/one2one/archive/2007/05/01/13147.aspx includes an interview with Canonical's founder Mark Shuttleworth, creator of Ubuntu. (The interview presentation uses Flash, also in Ogg format.) New article on BBC website too: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/6610901.stm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Could this be a turning point for Linux? The start of mass adoption perhaps?

I must admit, Ubuntu has passed The Wife Test(tm) in the Dunne household. When I changed my laptop over to Ubuntu, Mrs. Dunne didn't have any complaints, she is even using instant messaging. As more non-technical users begin to see that there is nothing to be afraid of when using Linux, and as the likes of Dell start offering it, I would like to think this could be the start of something.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭Rambo

tom dunne wrote:
    I must admit, Ubuntu has passed The Wife Test
    Has she tried installing drivers and setup wireless network

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

Rambo wrote:

Yeah, because I bet she can do this on windows as well. This has no relevance to Linux on a Dell. Every piece of hardware will be working 100% when released. What was your point again?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Rambo wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised how easy it was to get Ubuntu to talk to my wireless router. Nothing to it really, anybody who can do it on Windows can do it with Ubuntu. In fact, I was having trouble with XP and my wireless connection, which I don't see with Ubuntu.

As for drivers, I haven't added any hardware, but wouldn't that be the case for the average Joe who buys a laptop with Linux pre-installed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

tom dunne wrote:
    Could this be a turning point for Linux? The start of mass adoption perhaps?

I must admit, Ubuntu has passed The Wife Test(tm) in the Dunne household. When I changed my laptop over to Ubuntu, Mrs. Dunne didn't have any complaints, she is even using instant messaging. As more non-technical users begin to see that there is nothing to be afraid of when using Linux, and as the likes of Dell start offering it, I would like to think this could be the start of something.
    Unbelievably it passed the ultimate challenge for me which was the Mother Test.

Since Dell will be supplying support you may actually see more businesses actually choosing Linux which would be great.

Thats actually impressive with their survey - 70,000 out of 100,000 saying they would use Linux.

The only thing I would wonder about is if the average punter will think Linux is "worse" because its cheaper than Windows.

http://www.desktoplinux.com/news/NS9644921792.html

Seems like Toshiba may be considering also now. It would be cool if a few companys followed suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

niallb wrote:
    Ubuntu's support for 6.06 LTS on desktop has left a lot to be desired.
    Primary application for a lot of users is a web browser.
    Firefox in 6.06 is still a 1.5 version - even mozilla.org dropped support for it recently.

There are claims that there is too much work involved to release a firefox 2.0 version as it would require a lot of - genuinely awkward - library updates.
    Still though, isn't that what 'support' is supposed to mean?
    Dell would have had immediate problems trying to do front line support
    for Ubuntu 6.06, when every user as one of the first things they'd do would be to attempt to upgrade their browser.

This is the way that support of a release on Debian (and now Ubuntu) has always been done. The idea is that when you make a release, it never, ever changes except for security and critical functionality fixes. In commercial setups upgrading the OS is done rarely, and often only following extensive testing that all applications operate to their satisfaction. Commercial users may also want to retest each individual update before rolling it out across their users - again something to be kept to a minimum, This is much less of an issue for residential users.

Although a version of software (such as Firefox 1.5) may no longer be supported upstream, support is maintained by the distribution itself. They will analyse each critical fix, "backport" the fix to the older software, recompile and distribute that. That way you know you're now secure, but otherwise everything works today just like it did yesterday.

scojones wrote:

The link is now pulled. Hmm.

scojones wrote:
    The link is now pulled. Hmm.

That link was spelled wrong. unbuntu. Change to Ubuntu....

http://www.dell.com/content/topics/segtopic.aspx/ubuntu?c=us&cs=19&l=en&

• Advertisement

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1895,2126692,00.asp
    Microsoft Corp. said on May 7 Dell Inc. had joined a business collaboration it had with Novell Inc. to allow open-source Linux software to work with Windows.

The move makes Dell the first major systems provider to join the Microsoft-Novell collaboration, which consists of a broad set of business and technological agreements to make their products work together better to serve corporate customers using both Linux and Windows computer servers.

Under the latest agreement, Dell will purchase Suse Linux Enterprise Server certificates, Microsoft said. Suse Linux is Novell's operating system.

Dell will also establish a services and marketing program to migrate existing Linux users who are not Dell Linux customers to Suse Linux, Microsoft said.
    I think we just found the sugar to go with the Ubuntu pill.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,485 ✭✭✭Thrill

Blowfish wrote:
    The only thing I would wonder about is if the average punter will think Linux is "worse" because its cheaper than Windows.

I thought it was free?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

thrill wrote:
    I thought it was free?
    It is, and thats my point. I can imagine lots of people thinking "its free so it can't really be that good".

I'm hoping that they will also allow a dual boot option of both so that people can try it out. Then its possible that when they are buying their next PC they will realise after trying it that Linux will do everything they want and is free too and so will go for it solely.

Blowfish wrote:
    I'm hoping that they willaslo allow a dual boot option of both so that people can try it out.
    I doubt a preinstalled dual boot would work. The more logical way of doing it would be to allow people who buy a Windows system to have the option of including the supported LiveCD.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

As far as I know they are only offering this in the US. If that is the case I hope that they at least allow non-US people to download an ISO for their specific system.

This would cause less of an issue with people that want to try Linux and would like the least amount of issues possible when installing a system.

I guess they will have no particular issue with including the latest nvidia drivers too?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

Good move on Dells part. I used to work in a company that were licensed for a certain amount of Windows PCs (most big companies do it like this). So when we bought new PCs we used to have to re-image them anyway and decom the old PCs. This will save the coporates a bucket. They can buy the cheaper linux machine and put the standard Windows SOE on when it comes on site. They're still licensed under their site agreements but it'll save X amount of Euro per PC.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

Lets see them cram it up with useless software now!

The least the could do is find a decent printer driver to work with the Dell (cough*Lexmark*cough) J740!
    I've been trying all sorts of drivers for it and I've only gotten as far as the page moving through the printer with nothing on it!
    Yeah I checked the HOWTO on the Ubuntu forums, no use.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

For future reference, there's a very comprehensive list of printing support here: http://www.linux-foundation.org/en/OpenPrinting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I had a look through that site but I think the main problem is I don't know what model the printer is, I know it's a Dell branded Lexmark, but other than that no amount of Google detective work will give me the model number... :\
    So I don't know which driver to try.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭generalmiaow

wow, mark shuttleworth is very...I'm not sure exactly what, intensely calm? I wonder what they did to him in space?

to be honest this won't affect me as I'm already running ubuntu on my dell laptop anyway, and it'll be a long time before you see it on my girlfriend's laptop :( ... although I was shocked beyond belief the other day when I visited my relatively non-technical friends' apartment and they were all now running ubuntu... from their own initiative

Advertisement