Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

In the Well!! Q + A with Robin Lacey

Options
  • 18-04-2007 12:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭

This post has been deleted.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭sikes

way to hog all the questions Lloyd!

EDIT: Joking! this could be good

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

In terms of larger buy-in live tournaments, say $2k+ buy-ins, what kind of results would indicate that a player is not a 1-trick donkey/luckbox?
    1 big win + a couple of final tables? More?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Between you and HJ, who wins a deepstacked HU NL match, a deepstaked HU PLO match, an arm wrestle, HU 5card-doubleflop-oneeyedJackswild PLO match for rollz?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

How/from where, did u pick up the bulk of your poker knowledge?

Did u grind you're way up through the lower levels? If so, how long did that take?

How many hands have u played?

Do u use any pahud stats besides #hand/agf/pfr/vpip? how do they help your decision making process if u do?

Whats your set up like?

Do u spent any time doing ev calculations or calculating hand equities versus hand ranges, like abba talked about I think, in his well?

do u tilt badly/at all?

do u think playing poker has changed your personality at all?

on friday there was a 25/50 game on at the io, andy black, laak, antonio , donnacha etc, and a bunch of internet kids, do u think you'd have an edge in that game?

I think that's it. thanks :)

nice meeting you at the IO btw.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

What do you do when your not playing poker?

At what stage did you start reading(if any) books about poker?

Can you making a living playing STT's and MTT's?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭BigCityBanker

Are you mainly a NLHE player?

What was the best piece of advice you have ever received in relation to your game? From who?

What is the best piece of advice you can offer to the rest of us on NLHE tourney & cash games?

Your most pleasing moment in poker is?

What levels are you playing on what platforms?

What makes you uncomfortable at a poker table? Another specific player having position on you/stack sizes/other?

What is your poker background and where did you pick up the fundamentals of NLHE?

What did you do to improve your game from your starting point?

How long did it take from when you started taking poker seriously to reach the point where you stood back from it all and said "you know what? pokah is ez!"

Was there an epiphany in your poker career? When was it? What turned it around?

Do you use Poker Tracker? If so what for? (I dont use it)

What is the most common mistake you see other players make at the table in both tourney and cash games?

If it takes 2 men 3 days to walk backwards into eternity and it takes a man a week to walk a fortnight then how long does it take to become a poker millionaire?

If you wernt a pokah player you would be ......?

Thanks for being in the well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Flipper

1) What has been your biggest extravagance from your winnings?

2) How do your family react to your occupation?

3) Do you play PLO at all? What stakes?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭Solksjaer

You double up in a tourny and you are now above average, do you consolidate for a while or do you move quickly to build up your stack?

Don't have to answer this (I have my owns views)....Do you think there are a lot of overrated players on this forum?
    Care to name 1 or 2...hmm maybe not.

What are your pet hates at the poker table?

What makes a successful online tourny player/cash player?

Best poker book out there?

Are you related to the other Lacey of GJP fame?

If you were playing a TV tournamnet and someone like Tony G, Mike the mouth started badgering you, how would you react.

In my opinion a lot of the high stakes poker players are just above average players with a bankroll, which of these type of players impress you most and lest.

Have you ever come close to blows due to poker?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭HiCloy

1. Have you set yourself any targets, for the year or in general?

2. How many hours do you play a day/week?

3. How important is ego in poker?

Thanks for doing this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Wreck

Flipper wrote:
    2) How do your family react to your occupation?

Interested to know the answer to this.

Also, when I spoke to you briefly at the IO, bankroll management seemed to be extremely important to you. Could you please explain:

1) Whether you built your roll from scratch (or close to it)

2) What guidelines you use for moving up/down levels

3) What portion of your bankroll you use for tourney buy-ins.

4) How/when you decide 'pay' yourself - i.e. take money for yourself from your poker roll.

5) Do you have any other income besides poker (shares, investments etc.) and if not do you plan to?

6) Do you still wear tight speedos when you go swimming?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

1. have you ever considered it to be -ev posting advanced strategy you think of on a public forum?
    2. How satisfying is winning a large buy in event i.e. Austrian Open to raking in a massive pot in a cash game with a marginal call that you were correct in?
    3. What do you see as the main flaw in tournament structures?
    4. What do you see as the main mistake you see people make in tournaments/Cash games?
    5. Is it possible for a losing 1-2 player to be a winning 5-10 or above player due to the style of their game?
    6. Do you remember giving me 100-1 and me placing 10 euro on Marty Smith winning the IO in Clonmel? If Yes, ill pm you my PS SN, if not..forget it you have no honour! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

How often do you come into the Fitz just to eat a steak after midnight?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭BobSloane

What did the other 2 guys have when you called with AK on your irish open exit hand when you were trying to induce a squeeze play from the BB? I remember feeling you were right to call but never found out the outcome (well other than your exit)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭semibluff

AA and KK, AA the "squeezer". KK the initial raiser

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,533 ✭✭✭ollyk1

Robin Lacey has kindly agreed to do a well session (via PM). Apart from playing full time at a decent level online, Robin knows his way around donkaments. Amongst other things, he has won the $109 Pokerstars deepstack before and has a high general ROI% for online MTTs. His live record includes a cash in last year’s WSOP and a nice recent score in Vienna:

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=70926

Standard Questions:

1) What games/levels are you playing right now?

2) How many tables at once?

3) Are you running good or bad in the last few days?

My Questions:

1) There has been much discussion of how the general standard of online cash games has shot up since the legislation was introduced last year. How has this manifested itself in your view? In terms of your own game and success, how have you been directly affected?

2) Do you forsee a bright and stable long – term future for online poker? If not, why not?

3) How did you get into poker? How long have you been playing?

4) How long have you been playing full – time?

5) What were you doing before? Do you hold a third level qualification?

6) Do you perceive playing poker as a sole means of income as a long – term career option? It has been noted on previous occasions in various places that people who can beat poker for large amounts of money are probably wasting their time as they could be making much greater amounts doing other things in the corporate environment. Do you believe this to be the case? If so, why?

7) Briefly describe your 2006 WSOP experience.

8) In terms of your WSOP ME placing – do you feel validated on any level by tournament successes? Or would you conclude that there is too much short – term variance involved for them to be considered a relevant measurement of poker skill?

9) Does the idea of winning tournament titles and the possible media attention and sponsorship opportunities that would bring appeal to you in any way? Or would you simply look on them in terms of an opportunity to make a large amount of money through a single score?

10) What do we need to do to improve the general quality of the forum?

11) Is the tramp / unemployed / homeless look a help or hindrance in terms of getting laid? :D

Sorry If I'm misunderstanding this thread but do people need to ask questions and then Robin will pm an answer to their specific questions only or can I just ask to be pm'd the answers to the questions already written because they pretty much cover the stuff I'd be interested in. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭boba_fett3099

ollyk1 wrote:
    Sorry If I'm misunderstanding this thread but do people need to ask questions and then Robin will pm an answer to their specific questions only or can I just ask to be pm'd the answers to the questions already written because they pretty much cover the stuff I'd be interested in. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,134 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

• Registered Users Posts: 5,397 ✭✭✭Goodluck2me

ollyk1 wrote:
    answers on the back of a €50 note to...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭breadmonkey

haha, he'll be p!ssed when he sees the mountain of questions awaiting him!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

I don't think anyone's got this many Qs before, porr guy! I hope Lloyd didn't just make up the bit about him saying via pm he'd do it....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

sorry all,just woke up
    i'll go and get some food and then make a start on the questions

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Ste05

Hey Robin, good luck answering all these questions, I hope you have a spare day coming up soon :D My questions for you.

What 2+2 forums do you currently post most in and what posters do you consider as the current cream of the posting crop.

What posters from the Archives do you look out for most.

Do you have any recommendations for the best CR videos you remember watching, answers such as "GP7" or "MW9" would be perfect if you can remember or have any bookmarked or saved.

Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 252 ✭✭An Gaiscíoch

robinlacey wrote:
    sorry all,just woke up

My only question

What is your secret to be able to still be in bed at 9 at night?!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭MacStacked

robinlacey wrote:
    sorry all,just woke up

Lol..Good morning..
    What are your usual sleeping patterns?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Hi Robin,

Do you feel you would've had a diminished performance in last years WSOP had you not managed to get a nice cup of tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭robinlacey

ok just started the first answer,but can someone tell me how i can answer all the individual questions underneath the questions without them all looking like they are part of what is being quoted,if you know what i mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,754 ✭✭✭ianmc38

robinlacey wrote:
    sorry all,just woke up

Lol. No wonder you were having dinner at 11am.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭Flushdraw

I vote no more questions until Robin get s through the bulk thats already here. Give the guy a chance! Man you have your work cut out. Good luck Robin!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭BigDragon

robinlacey wrote:
    ok just started the first answer,but can someone tell me how i can answer all the individual questions underneath the questions without them all looking like they are part of what is being quoted,if you know what i mean?

To create a quote box put [**QUOTE] before the question and [**/QUOTE] after the question [remove the **] and then answer the question. To start the next question...repeat.

Advertisement