Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OK who's going to upgrade their PS3 Harddrive???

Options
  • 27-03-2007 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭

Reading over on AVforums that a couple of PS3 owners have replaced their 60gig with 120gig 2.5" Sata drives. Seems pretty easy to do see here http://www.gamersreports.com/article/43 I think it might be worthwhile thing to do, you don't lose your saved games profiles etc, and if Sony continue to sell full games through their website it will eat into the 60gig pretty quickly

Snake ;)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

I haven't done it yet, but plan to soon. I stuck Linux on mine (a 20GB model), and it's amazing how quickly you can run out of 10GB then. I want to get a HDD with 16MB of cache, though, since apparently they are quite a bit faster in PS3. Toshiba has a 100GB model with that level of cache, but it's hard to track down..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,111 ✭✭✭tba

Can you hook an external usb HD to the PS3?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭scrapland

tba wrote:

I think you can.

What version of Linux did you run LookingFor?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭xanthor

tba wrote:

Apparently, it Picked up my Pika Flycase anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Wow, that seems really simple to do. Sony anticipated that people would want to do this and are accommodating them, albeit in a bit of a DIY fashion. You wonder why Microsoft didn't make it as easy to upgrade the harddrive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,521 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Very forward thinking of Sony, they know that as future storage requirements increase that by providing this diy fix it will help the PS3 beat the 360 which will require users to purchase a new propiertory MS hd

Snake ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

tba wrote:

You can, but you can't install games to them. You can browse media from them, though, or backup your PS3 HDD to them (including installed games/demos, game-saves etc.)
    scrapland wrote:
    What version of Linux did you run LookingFor?

Yellow Dog Linux.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭scrapland

LookingFor wrote:
    Yellow Dog Linux.

Is it simple to install. I have dabbled with Ubuntu 6.10.

Do you have to feck around manually changing settings in the xorg.conf files etc ? Or does this linux distrubtion have those things (resolution etc.) auto set ?

• Registered Users Posts: 24 SeanDoe

Found thhis quite helpful if anybodys in need of some info on hdd/ssd
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-ps3-hard-drive-upgrade-guide?
    Especially since the top links going nowhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭bluestripe93

4 years old thread!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,291 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Old thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement