Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Development contributions

Options
  • 26-03-2007 6:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭

hi all this is my first post on boards.ie

i have planning permission for a 2600 sqft dormer and the council (kildare) want €14000 in fees before i can start to build

i knew it was going to be expensive but that price is mad

the girlfriends brother has planning for a allmost identical house 100yards up the road and the only wanted €10k off him and he got to use a septic tank even thou i was told by a planner that the can not be used anymore.

i was told by a few people not to pay to go in and say i cant afford it and ask to pay in instalments and pay a few and leave it.

why do ye all think can i look to have the figure recalculated or not pay it at all.

its a stupid amount of money that i can think of hundreds of better ways to spend

Thanks for and info

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 corkonian0110

if you say you cant afford it, they will say you cant afford to build - Im afraid you will have to grin and bear it - I have had to pay 17.5k to cork coco for a 2700sqft dormer, 4.5k of that contribution was towards the new Blarney railway station which in my opinion will not be built before 2012, since one of the 2 parties involved in the major development up the road has objected to this condition on their planning permission.. wtf/...:eek:
    Also they asked for a 1400 deposit to encure i put down 10m of tarmac into the drive so I wont drag any mud onto the road - ( this same road that 700 lorries will be going up and down daily.....)...
    mind boggles

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

i was told by a few people not to pay to go in and say i cant afford it and ask to pay in instalments and pay a few and leave it.

I wouldn't take that advice if I were you. Did you not know about development contributions when you applied for planning?

Yes the council will allow you to pay in installments but ring them and clear it with them first. If you do not pay you will be in breech of your planning conditions and will also possibly suffer punative interest charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,827 ✭✭✭✭muffler

the girlfriends brother has planning for a allmost identical house 100yards up the road and the only wanted €10k off him and he got to use a septic tank even thou i was told by a planner that the can not be used anymore.
    I think you've answered your own question - he will use a septic tank while it appears that you will connect to the public sewer and that normally incurs a much larger devp. contribution.

As squire 1 said you will have to pay the contributions if you are going to build and the Council will normally accept stage payments. Just watch out though as the contributions are subject to yearly increases based on the Wholesale Price Index for Building and Construction published by the Central Statistics Office.

Ring the planning dept. and ask them about stage payments. The breakdown of your contributions will be clearly shown on your permission but if you feel it is not right you can request a recalculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,040 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Get a breakdown of the contributions.
    If after a set amount of time these things haven't been complete then you can claim it back I believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Naux

I have just gotten back my full PP AND my contributions are 3.6k for 2465sqft two storey, It's like giving the council money for nothing as far as I'm concerned as infrastructure in Galway is non-existant.:mad: Having seen the level of contributions quoted elsewhere in this thread though................

OP 14K ...........ouch, ouch, ouch,:eek: There must be something major in there like the example given of the railway station in Cork.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭squire1

Naux wrote:
    OP 14K ...........ouch, ouch, ouch,:eek: There must be something major in there like the example given of the railway station in Cork.

I'm confused now. Can the Council charge for stuff like train stations, surely rail lines and infrastructure like that is paid for at national level rather than at local level. Am I wrong? Maybe that is why the developer mentioned above is objecting to having to pay for it.

I don't know squire....................I'm only going on what was posted by other people on the thread.

I'm in the clear in Galway in any case because the council/politicians couldn't plan a p**s up in a brewery as regards infrastructural projects. No projects = nothing to contribute for I guess.

BTW for everyone else the breakdown of my contributions are as folllows

2.3k for "recreation & amenities" + 1.3k for "water"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 238 ✭✭fatboymsport

thanks for the replys no i was told at the preplanning meeting that i have to use a wastewater system at a cost of 4K so not only is he saving 4k on the fees he can fit a septic tank and 1/5 of the price.

the have a large amount for recreation and amenities but its out it the country there is nothing for miles

I take it they means "roads" when they charge you under "recreation & amienities".................and we all know that Irish country roads are high grade and are fabulously well maintained:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

AFAIK treatment plants for once off housing in the countryside are the norm these days.

• Moderators Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭LFCFan

We were charged approx €9,700 by Meath CC for a 2477sqft house and we are putting in a treatment plant ourselves so what we are basically paying for is connection to the water supply, a dirt track of a road and no amenities. They have you over a barrel when it comes to this because most people are so happy that they've gotten permission, they will do anything to make sure nothing ruins it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Winnie001

Hi,

Kildare build also & contribution of €15k i think. That seems to be the cost of services when using treatment plant - €18k if connected to public wastewater treatment. Perhaps your brother in law is connected to group water scheme or something which reduces it further as he would not be connected to public water.
    While Im not thrilled to be paying this I knew about it when I applied for planning & so im just going to have to grin & bear it.
    Argument that you can't afford it..........then how can you afford to build rest of house??
    You can pay in stage payments - the council told me to send in a letter with the commencment notice outlining how I planned to pay it - advice was to pay 1/4 with commencment notice & then 3 other payments, the last of which could not be more than 1 year after commencment.

As for treatment plant - most people are being asked to use these now

Advertisement