Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mosquito device

Options
  • 08-03-2007 11:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 441 ✭✭

I heard about the Mosquito device last year on the radio and I didn't like the idea of it. It is a device which outputs a noise at a frequency which can't normally be heard by adults, it is used as a deterrent to groups of kids hanging around outside shops, etc.

It seems the use of the device is catching on.
    Irish Independent: Hang-about teens told to buzz off with sonar power
    TEENAGERS beware! Being told to buzz off is about to acquire a whole new meaning.

A local authority is considering using the latest sonar technology to deter hordes of teenagers from congregating in places where they can become a public nuisance.

The so-called Mosquito devices - known variously as teen tormentors or teen deterrents - are used widely in Britain to discourage teenagers from loitering around convenience stores.

Now Letterkenny Town Council has invited selling agents to appear before its joint policing partnership board to discuss the possibility of the widespread use of the devices in the town.

From my reading of the Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act the use of this device could be classed as assault.
    Non-Fatal Offences against the Person Act, 1997. Section 2
    Assault.
    2.—(1) A person shall be guilty of the offence of assault who, without lawful excuse, intentionally or recklessly—
    ( a ) directly or indirectly applies force to or causes an impact on the body of another, or
    ( b ) causes another to believe on reasonable grounds that he or she is likely immediately to be subjected to any such force or impact,
    without the consent of the other.
    (2) In subsection (1)(a), "force" includes—
    ( a ) application of heat, light, electric current, noise or any other form of energy, and
    ( b ) application of matter in solid liquid or gaseous form.
    (3) No such offence is committed if the force or impact, not being intended or likely to cause injury, is in the circumstances such as is generally acceptable in the ordinary conduct of daily life and the defendant does not know or believe that it is in fact unacceptable to the other person.
    (4) A person guilty of an offence under this section shall be liable on summary conviction to a fine not exceeding £1,500 or to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 6 months or to both.

Is it discrimination? Could the Protection of the Environment Act's; and Safety, Health and Welfare at Work Act's also apply?

What about the owner receiving and ASBO for using it? If this device was routinely used against you, would it not be harassment?
    Criminal Justice Act 2006. Section 113
    Civil Proceedings in Relation to Anti-Social Behaviour
    (2) For the purposes of this Part, a person behaves in an antisocial manner if the person causes or, in the circumstances, is likely to cause, to one or more persons who are not of the same household as the person--
    (a) harassment,
    (b) significant or persistent alarm, distress, fear or intimidation, or
    (c) significant or persistent impairment of their use or enjoyment of their property.

I guess I'm too old (29) for this to effect me. I just don't think it's the right fix of the problem of antisocial behaviour, the device itself is antisocial. The use of such a device should be prohibited or at least regulated (through planning?).

What do you think about the use of this or similar devices?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 271 ✭✭Rebeller

I'm horrified to say the least. The idea that state or local authorities would consider using a device that was essentially devised as an animal control system on human beings is outrageous!

I'm 27 myself and while I do sometimes feel that a sizeable enough segment of the current crop of 14-16 year olds are mindless, consumerist conformists who are all to eager to engage in anti-social activity using a sonar device to achieve order is wrong.

There is an extreme dearth of good quality, reasonably priced entertainments for under 18s in this country. Many people complian about the "feckless youths" of today and their desire to hang around petrol stations (I don't get that one!) and the like. However, these very same people are then the 1st to object when any youth orientated development is planned.

Cork has a hardcore group of skateboarders who congregate in the city centre and use street furniture (what little of it there is) for tricks etc. It's good to see the city being used for something other than economic consumer activities. What does the city council do to combat this healthy pursuit? They introduce bye-laws banning skating within the city centre.

The flip side was that they then proposed to construct a free public skate park in Blackrock (a somewhat `'posh" part of the city). Unfortunately, the local residents objected to the planning permission and the project was shelved!

Now, I don't like to see groups of people hanging around not doing anything (I certainly didn't do it when I was a teenager) but using a "mosquito" to deal with the issue? come on:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭cushtac

Rebeller wrote:
    It's good to see the city being used for something other than economic consumer activities.

It's good until they plough into an innocent passer-by & end up hurting them, as happened to my aunt in London. They've no business endangering others in public like that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Here's a link to the sound:Link

I can hear it and I'm 24. Its not so bad if you listen to it once quietly, but if this was blasted out for more than a minute I'd go crazy.

It's very strange that a local authority would consider such things, but it's madness that shops would consider it. Sweetshops, fast food outlets and music/toy/game stores would loose all their customers.

Advertisement