Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

speed dating

Options
  • 07-03-2007 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭

a friend of mine, eh joey joe joe junior shabadu, is going to go to a speed dating "event" in dublin in a couple of weeks time and I, i mean HE, would like to know if anyone has attended one of these events as HE is a bit nervous about it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Is this really a personal issue?:confused:

Anyways, you, I mean your friend shouldn't be worried. Apparently it's a bit of a laugh. In some places the tables have an electronic scoring system so that you(r friend) can turn a dial on the table to 'rate' your (friends') speed date and they do the same.

At the end of the evening you(r friend will) get a sheet with the ratings people gave you(r friend) so you(r friend) can have a chat with the person who rated you(r friend) highly and maybe arrange a real date.

EDIT: I know all of this from some single female friends of mine who have been speed dating and liked it, so this is second-hand news so to speak. Apprently not all centres are the same but there is guidance at the centre to tell you how it will work. Nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

I was thinking of going along to one of these with some mates just for the craic. I'd say everyone who goes to them is there for the same reason really. Just a bit of lighthearted fun with the added bonus of maybe meeting someone nice! Dont treat it as a big deal...just take it easy and enjoy it

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭littlesurfer

yup fun fun fun, I'm going to one in march for the craic. I think i'm probably as likely to meet someone in a pub as at the speed dating thing but i'm just in it for the run. Something new to do. My friends who are in couples are really jealous that they cant join in.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Yeah heard alot about them. A few mates have tried them and all said they enjoyed it and had a few laughs. Thats the main thing at the end of the day. Go have some fun OP and relax :)

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭badbrian

I went to a couple of these. More craic if you go with mates as you can relate your stories!

I got bored of the "who are you?, where do you live? what do you do? patter and found I got a much better insight by asking something slightly different like what you prefer to be doing if you weren't here? (one girl actually answered "work").

I also actually found the 20 or so 4-minute interviews a bit draining. It can be vey hit-or-miss who you talk to as you will obviously meet a selection of people.

There is normally a "discho" after which can be very good. No-one is intimidated to go up and talk to someone as everyone should be there for the same reason!

On a personal level I didn't manage anything other than a few dates but overall I found it positive. I was also never ashamed to admit that I went - some people seem to think it is truly a desperate measure for desperate people.

Enjoy and good luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Cionn

I went to one of these before, the rest of the lads had a few beers on them before the start but I arrived straight from footie, good craic and no crap. I was surprised at the talent that was there some really cute girls.

I suppose the only advice that I would give is check what the age bands are. As in if you put down that your 30 you may be put at a table of people 30 - 36, not that there is anything wrong with that but I know I would have had a better chance on the 25 - 29 table.

If your going to do it in style arrange a "dental appointment" with the boss so you have the morning off.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭iremex

cheers gent. joey joe joe will be most pleased.. should be a laugh. need to get a couple of mates to attend as the "discho" will more than likely turn into an event in its own right!!

• Registered Users Posts: 731 ✭✭✭bbbbb

Yes a friend of mine went a couple of times, errr Stevie Stevens.

You'll probably meet 15-20 girls at the tables, important to take some notes. It can be difficult to remember which one "Mary B" was a few days later.
    You'll need to tick yeah or nay, don't do this infront of the candidates.
    Worth thinking about a few converstation topics in advance, the usual where are you from, what do you do gets a bit tired.
    I would say half the girls there are not actually available, they've just come along to give a friend/sister moral support. They'll be the relaxed & easy to talk to ones but don't be surprised when you don't get the ticks afterwards

Event afterwards are usually better, but you'll probably be knackered.

Good luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭memphis

Sounds like a bit of a desperate measure as a means to actually meeting Mr/Mrs Right, But I would go along personally for the laugh, but only if a mate or 2 came along also.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

i went to one about 5/6 years ago - tell him not to bother and save his money. it was horrible and sleazy bascially full of slappers looking for new numbers for their little black book...........almost everyone who was there had been every week just getting phone numbers

Advertisement