Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a train driver

Options
  • 27-02-2007 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to drive the Dart. I know it's impossible to get a job as a train driver, especially because I'm only 19, but even for a day. In England they offer one-day courses of driving a steam train. Does anyone know of any way I could drive the Dart for a day? I know it sounds foolish, but you only live once!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭MarkoP11

They won't and if they did I'd be on the phone to the Railway Safety Commission

Driving a DART is incredibly boring, its way easy to drive push level forward it goes pull back it slows down, the computer will drive if you go too fast or don't slow for a signal. It was planned to go driverless. The challenge comes when something goes wrong, the rule book is huge and you need to know it word for word. IE do directly recruit DART drivers unlike mainline drivers, they also have the best pay but work longer hours

If you really really want to get a understanding of this you probably best of joining the RPSI and learn the hard way by cleaning boilers and shovelling coal if you are really really lucky and stick with it for years you might be get to drive up and down a yard at a slightly more than walking pace

You only live once, but you will certainly be terrified the first time you put the brake on a speed and find out that it takes up to 7 seconds for it to react, never done it but I'm told its fairly scary if you are used to the instant response of a car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 524 ✭✭✭DerekP11

I don't know which one of these posts is worse.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 78,262 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try this or this.

Alternatively sit in the front row on a Luas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

Try Jimmy Saville....or Ray D'Arcy...:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

The courses you mention are run by most preserved railways in the UK. most run steam driving courses and some do diesel ones as well. They would cost around €300+.

These courses are just experiences for fun, similar to the rally or race car driving courses.

here is a link to one of them that do diesel courses. If you like trains it would probably be good fun and it is a source of revenue for the preserved railways that are all run by volunteers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Lorrs33 wrote:
    Ever since I was a child, I've always wanted to drive the Dart. I know it's impossible to get a job as a train driver, especially because I'm only 19, but even for a day. In England they offer one-day courses of driving a steam train. Does anyone know of any way I could drive the Dart for a day? I know it sounds foolish, but you only live once!

Lorrs, to back up Markos point, until a few years ago the training course for Irish Diesel drivers was 70 weeks. At one stage in the past, you also needed to have been passed out as a train guard before you could apply to drive, though it isnt the case anymore. I have some engine driver manuals and some signalling and general rule books at home and believe me, they are NOT Mills and Boon to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

become a TV comedian
    see February 20 "Video: Rick drives Toronto transit" here:
    http://www.cbc.ca/mercerreport/backissues.php

Advertisement