Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ExamCraft Hons. Maths

Options
  • 27-02-2007 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭

I had paper one this afternoon. Did anyone else find it quite difficult? Well, more difficult than honours maths usually is?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,426 ✭✭✭✭cson

dunno if i got the same paper as you but i thought it was reasonably tricky. seeing as how i hadn't bothered my arse with maths at all, i was happy enough that at least I failed it with dignity.

Got a ridiculous part (b) (ii) in Q7.... differentiate tan-inverse(sinx)

WTF?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

Same paper. You haven't done paper two have you?

Not until thursday im afraid. Did ya get that tan inverse question? how the f**k do ya do that? I nearly made ****e of my brain trying to get that q out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Kateface

I got some stupid question asking me to draw a graph, so i did and there was one point, the origin, then i was told to prove there were no points of inflection and i did, and then they told me about the tangents, but i only had one point!!! It was the stupidest question ive ever seen!!

y=tan^-1 (sinx)
    => tan y=sin x
    I think. I did sh1t on that, although I'm happy that I got the Newton Raphson out. I do hate those effers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 dancingpixie

I got the same paper 1, the one with the tan inverse(sin x). Does anyone have paper two done, or will they be doing it before thursday? I made an absolute mess of paper one so i HAVE to do well on paper two!! Please somebody tell me what's on paper 2!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

I have paper 1 + 2 tmrw in maths.:mad: my school uses examcraft papers, i was wondering what proofs came up and any other strange questions that came up??;)

Thanks a million:D :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

cson wrote:
    Got a ridiculous part (b) (ii) in Q7.... differentiate tan-inverse(sinx)
    I had that two, surely just the chain rule does it?

Im not a math-sy person but i thought the chain rule is for a bracket to a power like (4x-2)^4?

By that reckoning tan^(sinx) would be something like (1)tan^(sinx).(-cosx)
    but anyway im scutter at maths so i probably wouldn't know anyway.

A proof on paper one was root x from first principles

Doing paper 2 tomorrow so if anyone has it done, if you would tell me the proofs/what kinda questions/ones to watch out for/what to go over, i'd much appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭WildCardDoW

MY paper had 1/x for first rule differntiation, and some effed up algebra questions, had powers as fractions. I got it out though, it was just weird. Got me off gurad aswell, failed the rest though, lol!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

Did Paper 2 this morning.
    The Circle was hard enough, you needed to use division of a line segment for line segment to get a point on the circle.

The Line part (c) was linear transformations. There was also a question involving Distance from a point to a line in another part.

A part (c)'s in trig was:

Write Cos3x+Cosx as a product
    Hence Solve Cos 3x+Cosx+Cos2x=0

Part (b) was a 3D triangle problem,

The only proof was Sin2A=2TanA/1+Tan^2A.
    Then you were given Sin2A= 3/4, Find A.

P&S
    (a) 10 people in a group, 5 chosen to go to party, 3 are then chosen to go to cinema. Remaining 2 go shooping, What is the number of possible combinations
    Part (C)'s of the prob Q's were:
    (C1)
    A Bag contains 5 red, 4 blue and 6 white, Marbles drawn out without replacement, What is prob that
    (i) First Marble is not Blue
    (ii)The first Red marble drawn is the third marble drawn
    (iii) The First 3 marbles are different Colours
    (iv) At lease one Blue Marble is drawn amongst the first Four marbles drawn.
    (C2)
    One Set is: a,b,c,d
    The mean of this set is X(with the dash on top) and the Standard Deviation is _ (that Symbol that looks like an O)

(i) Express in terms of X(with the dash on top) the mean of the set; 1-a, 1-b,1-c, 1-d,
    (ii) Express in terms of the standard Dev of the first set the deviation of; 1-a, 1-b,1-c, 1-d,

In the Diff Equation of one part(B) you need to use sum and Prod Of Roots.
    The other part(B) was about Days of the week and the prob of people having the same birthday on a day or not etc.....

Q8,(A) easy ratio test to show series is convergent
    (B) Integration by parts of: S LogeXdx
    the second part you were given S LogeXdx = 1, with the integrals "K" and "0" and you had to find "K"

(C) Something about a ladder, I'll try and describe the diagram:
    It was essentially a right angled triangle with the Hyp=10, and the orther two sides X and Y.

(i) express area of the triangle in terms of X
    (ii) The value of X which gives the max area
    (iii)Find Max Area.

Thats The Examcraft Paper. Hope that helps..........;) Any Economics Examcraft tips going??????????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

Cheeers Hopkirk fror the above ^^^^:D :D:D

I am pretty much set up for tomorrow, but this will focus my last minute cramming session!!

Thanks again;)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,219 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ok so, turns out I'm doing Examcraft papers. Paper 2 wen t awful today, cant believe it.

As for that arc tan9sin x) question. Here it is(AFAIK):

y=tan^-1(sin x)

dy/dx= 1/1+sinX by cosX(derivative of sinX)
    =>cosX/1+sinX

Isnt that how its done? cos the derivative of arc tan is 1 over 1+whatever else is there, then have to multiply it by the derivative of that number/thing.

That 3-D triangle problem was actually quite easy, got that and the product of the Cos thing. How do you do the limit part? I did attempt it as best I could

Yep, did that paper 2 today. I have one word for it: Arse. I mean i'd say i didnt even fail that paper with dignity. Spent the last half hour trying to think up of excuses to tell the teacher.

As for that trig question with the alpha and beta......whoever came up with that question is most definitely a miserable b@stard

Agreed, but I thought it mostly went well. Did anyone get Q2(b)(iii)? The vector g= 1/3.vectora + 1/3.vectorb one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭Shox

ya i spent ages at the question, i tink twas a mistake, cos every way i did it i got 1/2 instead of 1/3!!!!

Anyone else have this same prob??

No-one in my year, as it turns out, could do it. Not even the 600-point certainty guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

Hopkirk wrote:

(B) Integration by parts of: S LogeXdx
    Could you clarify that integral, as it is there's no Integration by parts involved, its just a standard integral.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Hopkirk

I can't really remeber now but I don't think there were any integrals. If you integrate dx to get x I think you can integrate by parts. I think that was it anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Copper_90210

did ur paper1 have something about a sphere and diff from 1st principals was i/x ??? how do u no what company they r? my papers have no markings whatsoever so i cant figure it out

• Advertisement
Advertisement