Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future Transport in Galway...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Sulmac wrote:
    are they needed (or not)?
    Their is some sort of propper bus (short term) or light rail (long term) system needed within the city.
    As for outside the city, well a rail system would be nice but would take forever for it to be built. (10+ years)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Ceannt station definitely needs to be redeveloped coz its a dump!!
    They all sound very interesting but will they ever happen??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Msfc wrote:
    Ceannt station definitely needs to be redeveloped coz its a dump!!
    True, but as you have said will they ever happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Sulmac wrote:

2. Bus Rapid Transit (also known as 'Streetcars') and Buses in General

This seems to be extremely popular with Bus Éireann (unsurprisingly) :rolleyes: .

This involves having 'bus trams' which will sometimes run on their own special 'tracks' (usually outside the city centre). In addition to this proposal, bus services in and around the city will get a major boost as this plan by Bus Éireann has just been announced:

i seen a long ass bendy bus with english plates drving around town last week, it looked awkward as ****!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

It'll never happen. Why, we're so far from Dublin and all that's out here are fields and sheep, right? :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:CLR_Tram_crossing_corrib.jpg

NEVER going to happen as long as that red building is there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

JIZZLORD wrote:
    i seen a long ass bendy bus with english plates drving around town last week, it looked awkward as ****!

Is it the bus in this video: http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0222/6news.html (look at "Row over Galway bus & rail terminal development"). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

There was some snazzy photos of the proposed new train and bus depot. Looks very nice if they pull it off.

Photos were in Galway First yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

As far as I know the Tuam - Galway train line is going ahead. It would be a godsend if they did. The traffic on the N17 really makes you think twice about driving to Galway. It's such a pain it's barely worth the trouble unless your staying over night.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭Msfc

Sulmac wrote:

Yeah saw them in Galway First- how nice would that be!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Sulmac wrote:
    1. Light Rail
    1.1 Corrib Light Rail
    • Two lines
    • 28km long (in total)
    • ~€5m per km (~€140m total)
    • Line 1: Oranmore - Knocknacarra
    • Line 2: Ceannt Station - Moycullen
    • Major landmarks served: Ceannt Station, Eyre Square, NUIG, UCHG, GMIT, Merlin Park Hospital, Corrib Village and Oranmore Station.
    This kind of linkage would be heaven! ... tho' I would be inclined to think it should run to Athenry, and that the Athenry - Galway link could use the existing track.

Problem is that the planning wasn't done 20 years ago, when places like Knocknacarra etc. were being built. Even if nothing was actually put into place then, leaving the space for it would solve so many problems / save so much money now.

That said, something is going to have to be done eventually, and the longer it's left, the more it will cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭stevecrow74

ScumLord wrote:
    As far as I know the Tuam - Galway train line is going ahead. It would be a godsend if they did. The traffic on the N17 really makes you think twice about driving to Galway. It's such a pain it's barely worth the trouble unless your staying over night.

it ok saying openening the western rail link and all that.. but what people seem to forget is that the train doesnt go direct from the city to tuam it link up on the track at athenry.. so does that mean a connection at athenry or will they actually run a commuter on that line.. and if so will it effect the running times of the galway dublin train (seeing as there is only one track from galway to athenry)

just a few things to think about...

I've found pictures of the proposed 'StreetCars', and a Wikipedia entry on the specific model that was in Galway:

http://www.wright-group.co.uk/streetcar/ (click on the pictures to view full-size)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wright_StreetCar

• Registered Users Posts: 2,299 ✭✭✭PixelTrawler

From the front it looks a little like a LUAS thats decided to flee dublin.

Hard to imagine them getting that thing around some of the tight corners here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

From the front it looks a little like a LUAS thats decided to flee dublin.

Hard to imagine them getting that thing around some of the tight corners here

as i mentioned in my earlier post it struggled around the corner at the bottom of the square, aib side

There just buses there's nothing new about them. The buses we already have can barely fit on the roads in Galway. More smaller buses would be of more benifit. Galway doesn't really need buses internally the citys to small encouraging bikes like in Amsterdam would be better in every way. What ever happened to those four seater bike you used to see in salthill?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

ScumLord wrote:
    What ever happened to those four seater bike you used to see in salthill?

Dude!!! They rocked! I haven't seen them since I were a wee nipper in the early 80s, before I moved away from Galway for the civilised east!

They where class alright, it's been so long since I've seen them I can't remember if I went on one or not. I remember pestering me ol pair for a go on them every time we went to Galway can't remember if they gave in or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭foxy_19-89

Galway city and its outer towns are in DIER need of a decent bus service first off. i live in newcastle, about a 15/20 min walk from the centre of the city. some days i want to get the bus, i just think waiting up to an hour and 5 mins is abdolutely ridiculous. why cant the just be as simple as to run every 15mins mon - sat 7:30 until 22:30. the bus service here sickens me, especially when i go to dublin and a bus can be gotten so easilly,not just a bus, but a train, a luas, a taxi. everywher seems to be better than us, public transport wise, and here we are complainin about all the cars on the road. get the finger out and do something about it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭gbh

I don't want to seem like a killjoy or anything but the Galway planners or City Council or whatever are notoriously bad at getting any major projects implemented. Look at the Eyre Square development to name one. Or look at how they have allowed the Water Works to go out of date. I just don't see the current crop being able to implement a major project like this if they can't even supply clean water to the people.

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭mickd

Why is there not a bus service to the airport? Hourly bus services to Shannon & Dublin but none to the fastest growing regional airport in Ireland. Galway can really be infuriating at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 531 ✭✭✭D-A-V-E

mickd wrote:
    Why is there not a bus service to the airport? Hourly bus services to Shannon & Dublin but none to the fastest growing regional airport in Ireland. Galway can really be infuriating at times.
    those stretch buses that yer man was posting were in Limerick too. i saw a few going around town one day, cant imagine them being encorporated into galway city as the streets are a lot narrower then the ones in Limerick like. shure Limerick is promised a light rail system too and all these fancy buses, but its never going to happen in the near future! its all spoof!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

gbh wrote:
    I don't want to seem like a killjoy or anything but the Galway planners or City Council or whatever are notoriously bad at getting any major projects implemented. Look at the Eyre Square development to name one. Or look at how they have allowed the Water Works to go out of date. I just don't see the current crop being able to implement a major project like this if they can't even supply clean water to the people.
    Did you know that two businessmen offered to do the works on Eyre Square at their own expense if they were allowed to build an underground carpark there to recoup their investment? The corporation declined, obviously preferred to waste money and feck it up for as long as possible instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

Our wonderful people with the power to do something with our traffic chaos that is the Headford rd roundabout have decided to add more traffic lights and went against practical advice of a few Fly-Overs and under passes.Aw well, elect morons, get a more fecked up City.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Galway is a small, walkable city.

Or it would be if they'd actually paint a few pedestrian crossings on the roads - I don't think I've seen ANY here anywhere!

It's a rash thought, I know, but a lot cheaper and easier than any of the other proposals out there.

Oh - and ask the guards to actually start enforcing laws about parking on footpaths too ...

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Did anyone see the piece in this week's Galway Independent headed 'Galway "Luas" gets green light from transport minister'?

Noel Dempsey is quoted as saying that 'he was aware the new outer bypass would not solve traffic problems in the city and a new public transport system was the only solution'. Niall O Brolchain says 'the new Luas could be up and running by 2012'.

Sounds good - I hope it's true, but I also hope the city council aren't left in charge of implementation, given their record of cackhandedness with regard to Eyre Square etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

padraig71 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the piece in this week's Galway Independent headed 'Galway "Luas" gets green light from transport minister'?

Noel Dempsey is quoted as saying that 'he was aware the new outer bypass would not solve traffic problems in the city and a new public transport system was the only solution'. Niall O Brolchain says 'the new Luas could be up and running by 2012'.

Sounds good - I hope it's true, but I also hope the city council aren't left in charge of implementation, given their record of cackhandedness with regard to Eyre Square etc.

not a hope of this happening by 2012, more like 2112. f*ck they wont even be able to get planning permission for it by then...

I'd really love to see this happen but i'm really really pessimistic about all this.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,737 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

So where is this "Luas" going to run between then? Just which of the far-flung industrial and housing estates is it going to service???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

JustMary wrote: »
    Galway is a small, walkable city.

Or it would be if they'd actually paint a few pedestrian crossings on the roads - I don't think I've seen ANY here anywhere!

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this! Walking to college I spend a good bit of time waiting for the traffic to calm down so I can cross roads. It's highly annoying.

There is so much traffic in Galway. There is always a traffic jam outside my apartment, day or night. Most days I catch up with the bus and beat it home. I'd love to have a car here but I would get so frustrated if I had to sit in traffic all day.

A Luas would probably be a good idea, but, as always, something would go wrong and the whole thing would be a disaster.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement