Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[IRL] Heroes - 1X1 / 1X2 - Genesis / Don't Look Back [*spoilers]

Options
  • 20-02-2007 7:46pm
    Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,227 CMod ✭✭✭✭

They do this over on the Lost forum (or at least did until Ireland effectively caught up with the US). So here is a place to discuss Heroes episodes if you have only seen them on Sci-Fi.

Overall, taught the first two episodes were superb. Having heard it hyped up here and by friends I was expecting alot and the show delivered. Lots of memorable moments (Claire's injuries especially) and dramatic and clever (got to love Super Hiro). Still little info about the actual super-powers, but so far seems to stay away from the Lost approach of just hurling new questions at you every couple of minutes and hoping they stick. Each story strand seems interesting.

Will be tuning into Episode 3 for sure.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

It was a good idea to show the first two episodes back to back. I wasn't terribly taken by show when I saw the first episode and that seems to be how a lot of people felt.

It was just a little bit too plodding. But I appreciated how it wasn't in a rush to get all the characters to meet up, as traditionally in a TV show like this you'd have all your main characters meet up and form a team before the end of the first episode.

But the second episode was great and the show has been consistently brilliant since then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

The first episode didn't really do much to grab me at all until the very end. It wasn't a bad show, but (besides some comic-book love bits like the episode titles and the way certain shots were framed) I wasn't getting what people were raving about. The second was great, though.

Like monkeyfudge said, a great idea to show the two of them back to back.

I'll be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,835 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yeah, have started watching them along with the girlfriend again. As she missed Dexter first time round (which she loved) so said she'd give this a try.

I was one of those as monkeyfudge mentioned who loathed the pilot but was caught up in it all by episode 3.

Also never fully understand why they left introducing Parkman until episode 2 - Greg Grunberg is one of the most under-rated actors out there and impresses me more and more in this role, despite the less on-screen time he gets as compared to the more primary characters.

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Set the recorder the other night after seeing a lot of hero talk on boards. Enjoyed it, particularly liked super hiro. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

The first two episodes were shown here back to back as well. Episode 8 is on Monday night, woohoo. Loving the show so far.

I like the way the but the subtitles in different places like comic book text

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

basquille wrote:
    Also never fully understand why they left introducing Parkman until episode 2 - Greg Grunberg is one of the most under-rated actors out there and impresses me more and more in this role, despite the less on-screen time he gets as compared to the more primary characters.
    Complete speculation, but I'm assuming that the studio introduced his character as a cop - something they'd think viewers would be more familiar with. That's why he wouldn't be in the pilot which was what would've been submitted to the studios before a full season got commissioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,374 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Wow.

Had heard a lot of people raving about it, so set my Sky+ box on Sunday night. Watched the two episodes before the United game yesterday and......WOW.

Absolutely brilliant.

Niki's story is the one that has grabbed me the most, but a mate has sad she is his least favourite character on it.

2 episodes in a completely hooked on it already. Can't wait for next monday! (of course i don't have to..... but i do kinda like having some popcorn tv!)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Very impressed with the first two episodes and I'll be back for more.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Tauren wrote:
    Niki's story is the one that has grabbed me the most, but a mate has sad she is his least favourite character on it.

2 episodes in a completely hooked on it already. Can't wait for next monday! (of course i don't have to..... but i do kinda like having some popcorn tv!)

Yeah nikis story isn't the best. IMO of all the stories, hers is the weakest. Hiro ftw :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

ixoy wrote:
    Complete speculation, but I'm assuming that the studio introduced his character as a cop - something they'd think viewers would be more familiar with. That's why he wouldn't be in the pilot which was what would've been submitted to the studios before a full season got commissioned.
    I read an interview with Greg Grunberg at one stage and he said that he originally auditioned for the role of Peter, but didn't get it... but they liked him so offered him the role of a new character.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭The_Hustler

I don't think he would have been suited for Peter.

I know Nikki's story isn't great by now, but I think it was when we were only 2 episodes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,083 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nikki's story is just too slow in comparison to the others imo. Its not that it isnt good it just could stand to be told with a bit more momentum.

As far as the cast goes I don't think there is anyone out of place; seems pretty f*n-A. Hiro especially is a likable character (and Japanese sounds cool)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Again, nothing new compared to 4400. It had better improve. When's episode 3 on?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭Agamemnon

Tonight at 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,230 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Thanking you

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭Killaqueen!!!

After all the hype surrounding Heroes I thought I'd give it a go (don't have SciFi channel but channel6 are airing it well) even though I convinced myself that I don't need another TV show to be obsessed with...

But I don't think I will be obsessed with Heroes. The first 2 episodes didn't really 'grab' me but it was decent enough and I can see the potential that it has. It's a bit of a nerdy show if you get me, so I think it will attract a lot of Star Trek fans - especially with Hiro's story! Which, by the way, I'm not getting why people love him so much - he's really annoying! As soon as he picked up the gun in episode2 I just knew the police would come bashing in.

I think Nikki's story if my favourite. I think she's the most 'real' character there. What with her job and raising her (genious!) son I think we can sympathise a lot with her but I don't understand what her power is yet!

And what is with Claire's dad? Why was he in New York and why did he, supposedly, have involvement with the Indian chap's fathers death?! (Sorry don't know all the names of the people yet!)

Another entertaining character is the policeman - his superpower is cool! :)

Overall looking to be a great show but I don't see how it is the 'new Lost' as I heard somebody say!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

so I think it will attract a lot of Star Trek fans

Emmmm. Where the hell did you get this from? Ando merely pokes fun at Hiro and his power and refers to Star Trek to imply that it's out of this world. Star Trek is Sci-Fi and that's the only thing that it has in common with Heroes (
    And Sulu who is cast as Hiros' father
    ).
    And what is with Claire's dad? Why was he in New York and why did he, supposedly, have involvement with the Indian chap's fathers death?!

He was there on "business". After the first two episodes you don't really know much about him and the nature of his business is very mysterious. Stay tuned though is all I can say to you - H.R.G (Clares' dad/Mr Bennett) is one of my favourite characters!
    The first 2 episodes didn't really 'grab' me but it was decent enough and I can see the potential that it has.

The first 2 episodes didn't really grab me either but thankfully I was watching the first 5 episodes in one sitting and I can safely say that the first two episodes are the weakest in the series and things get MUCH, MUCH better!

Advertisement