Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A Yank's trip to Croke Park...

• 14-02-2007 4:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

For those of you that care, I thought you might want to hear an outsider's experience. Thanks for all the advice that was given earlier when I asked questions about the game.

A couple of my friends and I came over for the Ireland - France match without tickets. We arrived on Wednesday and essentially asked anyone their thoughts on the game and the chances of getting tickets.

I am not telling you anything new, but there was great talk about the fact that this was going to be the first rugby game at Croke Park. Most of the Dubliners I met were of the mindset that they were not overly thrilled but better at Croke than elsewhere.

Also, everyone was telling me that a ticket would be impossible to get. With the history behind this event I was unfortunately starting to believe them. In the USA, there is always a ticket market, no matter the event including the Super Bowl.

So we left for the stadium and enjoyed the walk along the Liffey and enjoyed all the Irish and French flags being flown. Essentially from O'Connell Street and Liffey it was continuous moving mass of anticipated joy.

My thoughts walking to the stadium was that Ireland would start slow (as we say in the States, butterflies) behind how important this event was, but then eventually win out by coming together realizing the BOD would not be there and that they would have to do it themselves.

We walked down the street that leads to Gill's Pub. Needless to say, it was quite a shock to see the mass of folks out in the street drinking and singing. The first thing I really noticed was how many signs had the "Looking for a Spare ticket". My friend and I did not know whether the sign meant they were looking to pay face value or more. But there were tens and tens of these signs.

So we went into the pubs and started asking around. We found one guy willing to sell a premium ticket for 1000 euro. This was way out of my budget and then started getting depressed that it was not going to happen. We then walked back to the intersection and started observing and trying to figure out which pub to watch at.

Then we were sitting there and a gentlemen came up to the guy beside us and stated that he had a ticket to sell at price. It was in lower Cusack stand (305, Row S), Leinster Supporters section. The guy was telling about how much he paid for it. He was asking 500 euro. Nobody budged, and he went away. It was now nearing 2pm and he came back again and I asked him if he had the ticket. He said yes, and I told him I was willing to pay 250 euro for it. He said 300 and you have a deal. I bought it. This was what I budgeted for thanks to the advice of this board last month.

So with ticket in hand I start walking in on the Hogan Stand side, with worrying that I could have bought a fake ticket. But alas, got through the gate and stopped off for a pint at the Jurys to breathe in my good luck. That is when I met some of the saddest folks who bought tickets from a ticket place who did not show. There must have 5-6 guys who bought tickets who were promised, but when I left at 2:30 to get into the stadium, still no luck for them.

Finally got around to the Cusack side, and the lines/queu was not well organized, but the people were all polite and a good mood.

The stadium was very nice on the outside. When I entered into my section and saw the inside, I was very impressed. The angles, seats, were all top notch. You could tell alot of money went into the stadium.

The playing of the anthems is something that I will never forget. It is always great when people sing with such enthusiasm. There is something about two countries meeting on the sporting pitch that brings out the best.

I was suprised to be able to hear the France fans, but they were small but a vocal group. When things got going for Ireland it was terrific.

The first thing I want to say about the game, is that I am still in disbelief at the result 4 days later. The game itself I am not giong to rehash, but I am still disappointed in a few of the calls.

The horns that you kept hearing when the French kickers were lining up were coming from two teenagers in Section 305. At first people were admonishing them, then eventually when France was making noise when ROG was lining up it got worse.

The Irish try was magic. The gents around me were in disbelief with pass.

The bounce off the post on the try kick had me thinking this is Ireland's day.

The maul should have been the nail in the coffin. ROG kick had everyone around me cheering and clapping and believing.

And then the kick, and the bounce. Needless to say, the language was sh@!, f&ck, etc..until the try. Then silence.

Leaving the game, I have never heard 82k people be more quiet. We were walking and a gentlemen besides me summed it up, "Jesus, it's a funeral".

Went back to Gill's pub and had a few pints and lamented the day that was. The French were nice and the Irish folks I was talking to were drinking away their sorrows.

A sad but unforgettable day for me. It is something I will always carry with me.

Cheers to all that I might have met and did not know.

Hopefully, next time I see Ireland play, the verdict will be different

tcc

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

Nice story, would love to have met dude looking for €500 for LB ticket, wouldve given him hiding and taken his ticket for free. Fooking touts like him make me sick:mad: :mad: :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭aoa321

tcc_dc wrote:
    For those of you that care ...

tcc, I really enjoyed reading your report, you gave a great sense of the day, thanks for the post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

jackbhoy wrote:
    Nice story, would love to have met dude looking for €500 for LB ticket, wouldve given him hiding and taken his ticket for free. Fooking touts like him make me sick:mad: :mad: :mad:

bleeding rapih.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,918 ✭✭✭Steffano2002

tcc_dc wrote:
    For those of you that care [...]
    What a nice, enjoyable post to read tcc. Thank you for taking the time! I was thrown back in time and kind of re-lived it myself. Although for me it was a great result as I am French and was delighted with the result.

It was also my brother's Christmas/birthday present. I flew him over from France (Bordeaux) and bought him a ticket. He was delighted! I didn't think we'd win though. I actually told him so when he flew in on the Saturday. I said to him "You realise we're going to witness a defeat tomorrow?" to which he replied "Yeah, I know. But let's hope it's a good game". And thank God it was!

However it was a sour victory. Indeed, I am half French, half Irish. And although I support France 100%, it was sad to see Ireland start their "Croke Park Journey" with a defeat... :(

But I had fun and my brother said it was a wonderful present so overall, I'm happy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,175 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

You've been awfully quiet Steffano lately :p

• Advertisement

Sangre wrote:
    You've been awfully quiet Steffano lately :p
    Indeed... Well, was hardly going to go on an Irish forum and start bragging about it... Even in work I didn't slag people about it, I don't particularly like it when people do it to me so I'm not going to do it to others!

Just thought I'd post a pic I took last Sunday. I like it (I'm a n001b photographer though so anybody could have done a better job...)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭Crash

Croker's a fantastic stadium, i've never been there before when there wasn't a good atmosphere and packed out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Seemed to be a unique atmosphere in Croker. 70, + shouting for one team. All-Ireland day, Ulster Final, Tyrone v. Armagh or of course when the Dubs are playing is special to. Seemed to be a different but equally as good atmosphere on Sunday.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Advertisement