Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overclocking Opty 165, Mushkin RAM & 7900GTX

Options
  • 06-02-2007 3:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok well this has been a LONG time in the making, probably the LONGEST amount of time i've ever had to wait to get overclocking my rig.

I bought this Opty off ebay about 6 months back off a guy who said he had managed to get it to 2.7Ghz on air, i'm aiming for 3Ghz (I like a challenge :p), after having numerous problems overclocking it on a ASUS A8N-SLI and then an ABIT Fatal1ty I dug deep and went DFI Expert, and its been running perfect since. While i've had it i've spent my time buying choice pieces for the system, including the Tuniq, the HR05 and the VF900 for my 7900GTX. I've also set up a RAID 0 with 2x36GB ADFD WD Raptors. I can finally say now this system is complete and ready to be burnt alive (just in time for a C2D upgrade :rolleyes:)

So lets begin :devil-smi

First off, here a 3Dmark06 screenshot with everthing at STOCK

001.jpg

Also, whenever i've overclocked before, getting my RAM to allow me to overclock my CPU has always been my headache, which is why I bought this Mushkin xp4000 RAM to give me some headroom. I could not get it stable past 240 (DDR480) on my previous ASUS A8N-SLI, so I thought for a while they might of been dud sticks, turns out the boards fsb limit was holding me back. Since having them on my DFI Expert (OCZ Tonys BIOS) they have been running like a dream. I got some help over at the Mushkin forums as to what I should have my timings at, they are:
    Command Per Clock- Enable 
    TCL- 3.0 
    TRCD- 4 
    TRAS- 8 
    TRP- 3 
    TRC- 7 
    tRFC- 16 
    TRRD- 2 
    tWR- 3 
    tWTR- 2 
    TRWT- 4 
    tREF- 0780 
    tWCL- 01 
    DRAM Bank Interleave- Enabled 

DQS Skew Control - auto 
    DQS Skew Value- auto 
    DRAM Drive Strength - Level 7 
    DRAM Data Drive Strength - Level 3 
    Max Async Latency- 8ns 
    DRAM Response Time - Fast 
    Read preamble Time- 5ns 
    Idle Cycle Limit- 16-32clks 
    Dyanamic Counter - Enable 
    r/w Queue bypass: 16X 
    Bypass Max - 07X 
    32 Byte Granularity - Disable (4 bursts)

Here are some screenshots of benchies in memtest86, I ran them while I was at work:

At 250 (DDR500) @ 2.61v

01.JPG

At 260 (DDR520) @ 2.61v

02.JPG

At 270 (DDR540) @ 2.61v

03.JPG

*bummer* At 280 (DDR560) @ 2.61v

04.JPG

Still i've got some headroom with my voltages. Next i'm going to try the RAM at 280 @ 2.71v and see if I can pass 8hrs of memtest86.

Just for ****s and giggles I threw my cpu multi up to x9 and booted into windows to run 3dmark06. w00t an extra 700 points having the RAM at DDR540 and the CPU at 2.4Ghz

05.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

cool

overclocking atm and my ram wont go past 260 bummer :( and i gave it 2.8v

the cpu will fail at 275 at 1.5.

may i ask 1 question whats the safe max vcore i can give my cpu.my temps are fine only 30c on full load at 1.5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

Anything is safe, as long as you can move the heat. But the cpu will not last as long ( some say ) Although i have never found it a problem.

@ L31mr0d

That a pretty decent 3dmark score. With some more oc'ing on the cpu and graphics, I can imagine you hitting 7200~ with no problems.

ok last question lmrd :D

ok ht bus should i try keep this around 1000mhz or wha this has all ways confused me :(

so 270xht4=1080.................................

Try never to go over 1200. But its better to have it below 1000 rather then over.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

always have it under, there is no benefit to be had overclocking the HTT, if your fsb is over 250 then keep it at 3x.

Well here are some more pics, getting difficult to get them stable at 280Mhz, although the number of errors over a 9 hour period are going down with the more voltage I give it.

Also a note, the Dominator Airflow fan IS making a big difference. I tried running it at 270 @ 2.61v and it spewed out over 3000 errors after a few hours, when I turned the fan on I got no errors

Anyway, getting back to this RAM, here it is at 280Mhz @ 2.77v, 11 errors *dammit*

06.JPG

Here it is at 280Mhz @ 2.8v, 4 errors, better, but not good enough

07.JPG

I'll be trying some higher volts tomorrow, if I can't get it stable at 280Mhz before 2.9v then i'll throw in the hat and begin overclocking the CPU.

BTW, about the 3Dmark06 score, it really isn't that good anymore, considering the world record is over 22,000. But I did notice one thing, having my CPU overclocked by 600Mhz only gave me around 600 extra points, whereas I ran a test with my graphics card overclocked by only 20Mhz and it gave me an extra 200 points. 3Dmark06 seems to be heavily weighted towards the graphics card. I'm going to be running some superpi benchs when i'm overclocking the CPU.

• Advertisement

If its anything like my opty, going 850mhz overclocked only improves 1M by 3 seconds. Which i think is pathetic.

hmm thats odd. Did you run any other benchies? Like in sis sandra? Maybe an extra 3 seconds is a lot of extra computation.

*dammit* ok thats it, i'm not wasting anymore time trying to get this ram stable at 280Mhz, i'll work on maybe seeing if I can get the timings tighter at 270Mhz.

I tried 280Mhz @ 2.84v today and it failed after 9 hours with 29 errors, I also forgot to take a picture :(

I'll try setting Trwt to 3, Trfc to 15 and maybe set CAS to 2.5 if i'm lucky.

god thats nice ram how much it cost you ?

not too much, I bought them off ebay about 6 months ago for €120. It really is this mobo thats allowing them to get up to these speeds, as I couldn't even get them stable at 250Mhz on my last ASUS A8N-SLI and ABIT Fatal1ty mobos.

• Advertisement

Ok well i think this is were i'm going leave it for now with this chip. I can be happy with 2.7Ghz and DDR540. Here are some screenshots. w00t, I got nearly and extra 1200 points out of this overclocking.

BTW my 7900GTX is overclocked to 720/1760

08.jpg

09.jpg

10.jpg

Also here's my CPUz validation

You pi score is nice. 2 seconds faster them mine. And i run at 2.85ghz.

Looks liek i will have ot tighten my memory up a bit.

what speed are you running that RAM at? It should be more than capable of 3-4-4-8 1T @ DDR540, i'd say you might even get DDR580 out of it.

yep, 3-4-4-8 1t @ 285mhz 1:1.

I did have htat dual core optimiser but found it made certain applications slower.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

Hi,
    am new in this board and in Ireland (I'm from Italy)

I had a DFI NF4 Ultra Infinity and a MSI K8N Neo4-FI (I both break the chipset cause of the waterblock dancing :mad: ) I think I will order tomorrow an A8n32-Sli

Although, I have an Opteron 165 and a Nvidia 7900gt (and two raptor 36gb :p )

When I was @ liquid I managed to overclock the cpu to 2825 mhz (9x313)
    The memory (gskill 512mbx2) 2-2-2-5 @ 200mhz (i don't remember the multi)

I have an unlucky vga so I can't overclock it too muck.

I think that I did about 7000 point overclocking at max every thing I could :rolleyes:

Overclocking @ air (I think, but I'am not sure as all my screenshots are in the motherbard broken computer) I reached 2750-2800 full stable ofcourse.

If you need some help don't bother asking me.

what stepping do you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭Gian-Pa

CCBBE 0615DPMW

am also thinking instead of upgrading to intel core duo, and buying the asus 939 motherboard.
    But to recover my raid with a nforce4 chipset :(

sorry for OT

Advertisement