Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multiple framed action shots into one image

Options
  • 03-02-2007 11:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭

Hi there, I have 6 shots taken of me diving into the sea, and I can't find a way to merge them into one image with CS2. I've a feeling there's a simple way to do it, but I can't find any tutorials. I've tried cutting the figures out etc. but that predictably looked...horrible.

Any help? Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

They (as a rule) need to be taken from the exact same spot with the same exposue settings.

You simply stack the images up as different layers and then use a mask to paint yourself through in each image. It looks weird if you overlap.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Funkstard wrote:
    Hi there, I have 6 shots taken of me diving into the sea, and I can't find a way to merge them into one image with CS2. I've a feeling there's a simple way to do it, but I can't find any tutorials. I've tried cutting the figures out etc. but that predictably looked...horrible.

Any help? Thanks

Well, first and foremost they need to be shot perfectly or it'll look pants no matter what you do.

Off the top of my head, if theres enough room, stack all the images on different layers and erase the empty part on one to expose the figure in the lower ones? Obviously depends on the image.

If you wanna upload them I'll give it a whack, im in the mood for some photoshoppage.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Is is something like this you are after, this is done with Stitcher 5.5

BrianDuffConcord41.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Yeh except without the ghost effect. I've looked over them, and the position of the camera moves slightly with each shot...it will be messy and will probably not work so I'll give it a miss.

On another note, what is layer masking? This is one of a few major things in photoshop I have to learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

I have been after a tutorial for this for months so if you find one, defo post up!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

The stitch or the layer masking mike?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Presumably you mean something like this then:

325040017_622dfd9879.jpg

or this maybe:

234017153_6a763ad465.jpg

I'm supposed to be writing a tutorial on this but in the meantime, this is where I learned it from:

Flickr Chronophotography tutorial on stop action

You have to get the angle of the camera consistent over all shots or you wind up with this:

247793090_a44b8edf3c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

I can get as far as having all the photos on different layers in one image, but I'm stumped when it comes to being able to show what I need from the layers beneath

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

You need to rearrange the order of the layers, by the sounds of things. Assuming you're using Photoshop or PSE, I'm guessing all you need to do in the layer navigator window (dunno what it's "officially" called) is drag and drop the layers top to bottom in the order you need them in.

Advertisement