Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NTL POP3 Mail Settings

Options
  • 30-01-2007 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭

Anyone know what the smtp setting for outgoing mail is for NTL?

-

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

• Registered Users Posts: 8,372 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Thanks aidan,

That link is not helping, I should have mentioned that I'm using NTL Broadband but a NON NTL email address & I can receive email no problem but I can't send any out because I don't know their smtp for outgoing mail.

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Then you want the SMTP address for whatever email provider you are with. Their support section should have the information you need.

Then you want the SMTP address for whatever email provider you are with. Their support section should have the information you need.

I don't mean to totally confuse the issue but.....

I have two broadband lines at present

1 is with Smart & the other is with NTL

The problematic email account is an eircon email address. (when used with Outlook Express)

On the Smart line I have to set my incoming POP3 to eircom
    my outgoing smtp to smart. This works perfectly well.

So on the NTL line I set the incoming POP3 to eircom (this also works fine)
    The outgoing is not working. Would it not follow that I would need to use the NTL smtp for outgoing??

I'm dealing with two separate systems, one connected to Smart & the other to NTL.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭Zirconia
    Boycott Israeli Goods & Services

Yes gadgetman, Eircom block smtp in to their mail servers if it's not coming from an Eircom IP address range. It's to prevent spam relaying via their servers. The general rule these days is becoming that you can only send outbound SMTP mail to a relay host if you are using a machine that has been assigned an Internet IP by the owner of the relay host.

For your Eircom email account set the inbound POP3 server to mail1.eircom.net, which you already have, obviously, but for your outbound SMTP server, set it to: smtp.ntlworld.ie

As you can see, your outbound eircom.net mail doesn't even have to go anywhere near an Eircom server to get delivered, and it's okay with NTL as your PC has one of their addresses when you're using their mail relay host.

Gets a bit more complicated if you have a laptop that you use on different networks occasionally, but you can do this too by setting up different outbound SMTP servers in seperate Outlook profiles (e.g "Eircom Via NTL", & "Eircom Via Eircom", etc), but set all the profiles to use tha same PST mail storage file. (You can do this with Outlook; I'm not sure about Outlook Express?)

I'm on NTL Broadband and also use and eircom.net mail address, and occasionally use my laptop on other clients sites, and this solution has worked perfectly for me for years.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement

Zirconia wrote:
    Yes gadgetman, Eircom block smtp in to their mail servers if it's not coming from an Eircom IP address range. It's to prevent spam relaying via their servers. The general rule these days is becoming that you can only send outbound SMTP mail to a relay host if you are using a machine that has been assigned an Internet IP by the owner of the relay host.

For your Eircom email account set the inbound POP3 server to mail1.eircom.net, which you already have, obviously, but for your outbound SMTP server, set it to: smtp.ntlworld.ie

As you can see, your outbound eircom.net mail doesn't even have to go anywhere near an Eircom server to get delivered, and it's okay with NTL as your PC has one of their addresses when you're using their mail relay host.

Gets a bit more complicated if you have a laptop that you use on different networks occasionally, but you can do this too by setting up different outbound SMTP servers in seperate Outlook profiles (e.g "Eircom Via NTL", & "Eircom Via Eircom", etc), but set all the profiles to use tha same PST mail storage file. (You can do this with Outlook; I'm not sure about Outlook Express?)

I'm on NTL Broadband and also use and eircom.net mail address, and occasionally use my laptop on other clients sites, and this solution has worked perfectly for me for years.

Hope this helps!

Cheers Zirconia,

I guessed it had to be something like that but I didn't know the smtp for NTL was smtp.ntlworld.ie

All sorted :)

Thanks to both aidan_walsh & Zirconia for the help :D

Advertisement