Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Insurance Question

Options
  • 30-01-2007 2:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭

Ok here's my question. In my insurance I can drive any car under TPFT so im wondering would it be possible to buy a cheap 1litre fiesta or similiar and insure that and then buy a more powerful car. Is this possible? What would need to be in my name?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Both cars need to be insured in a policy I'm afraid, what you could do though, is get a little oul lady a super car, get her insured on it, then get yourself a fiesta and get yourself insured on it, you pay for both cars, both tax or whatever and you leave your fiesta at your grannies and take a spin of her super car... every day;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,091 ✭✭✭Biro

On my policy I can drive another car with 3rd party cover even if it's not insured, I checked with them. However, with all policys the car cannot be owned by you or hired to you.
    You could get your mother or granny to buy it, and put it in their name and drive it then, but if there is an accident and there is a big enough claim in, then the insurance company will investigate and check how often you were driving it and how often your gran drives compared to the milage put on the car due to service records etc and basically you won't be covered and be in trouble with the law.
    You don't really escape pulling the wool over insurance companys eyes, cause it may come back to bite you in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,792 ✭✭✭✭cormie

don't think your gran would be too happy to be banned from driving if her grandson was a bit of a boy racer too;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kdouglas

thought the car had to have some form of insurance policy to be driven on public roads?

id say it wouldnt really save you that much money and wouldnt be worth the risk getting into a bad accident etc....

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Muzzy

The "Driving of Other Cars" in the Insurance company that I work for means,That you can drive any Car and have TPF&T cover on it. The car must be registered in somebodies name, it must be insured by the registered owner, taxed and NCT'd.

If you are having trouble insuring a car, i.e Civic V-Tec, Evo, Impreza etc, just get a policy out on a piece of crap car, and then do a permenant substitution onto your new car. An insurance company can say no to you at new business depending on what car you drive but they can not say no to existing customers. Heads up though, they will only give you TPF&T cover on the car, even if the origional policy was COMP. And you will have to sort out alot of paper work, Invoices from the dealer, service log books and NCT reports etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,208 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Even if you're policy states the other car doesn't have to be insured, try telling that to a Guard at a checkpoint when you've no tax, insurance or NCT on display. The car will most likely be impounded and rightly so. I pay OTT insurance policies to keep it all legal and for peace of mind, so you should too :D

Advertisement