Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IMPORT USA PS3 power advice.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭scrapland

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_3#Form_factor_and_power_consumption

According to Wiki - All current PS3 power supplies are Universal 100V-240V/50-60 Hz and will work worldwide, external power markings only relate to the intended market area. The power consumption ranges from 150-200 watts during normal use.

Still can anyone else confirm, Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Nyum Nyum

I just used the power lead (5amp fuse) from my pc on my Japanese PS3 and it works fine. No problems whatsoever :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

It's not the lead in questions... it's the power coming from the mains.. I dont know about the PS3 but most US products need a stepdown transformer. You can get them in some shops in Dublin try Maplins or Peats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭fdevine

PS3 has an internal transformer.

This transformer will take voltage in at 100/110v (US) OR 220/230v.

If you use a standard PC type power cable, you will not have any problems.

No stepdown required.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭ricey

Ya i just plugged mine in and iv had no problems
    no need for a converter.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭NeVeR

thats cool, Well done to Sony..... about time someone did something like that... they save money as well. they only need to make 1 type for the whole world.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭ZygOte

yup i have a US PS3, just plug it in and go :)
    as for sony saving money, nice for them, shame they dont see fit to pass the savings on to the customer

Especially when Sony claimed one of the reasons they try to block importing is to protect he consumer from things like difference in power supply etc.

Oh well my PS3 should be here sometime next week (if UPS havent lost it).

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭Nexus

Will the US PS3 run european games?, Im over in america at the moment and ive seen it playin and its amazing but on the pack it says its NTSC 1 but the games just say bluray. Any 1 want to clear this up?

Nexus wrote:
    Will the US PS3 run european games?, Im over in america at the moment and ive seen it playin and its amazing but on the pack it says its NTSC 1 but the games just say bluray. Any 1 want to clear this up?

yes - the ps3 is utterly region free for games.

besides NTSC / PAL do not come into the equation when your in HD 720p/1080i/1080p

But for movies BD is regionalized, unlike HD-DVD which is region free at the moment. Form BD you will have to buy American/Japanese movies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭Kanney

Question bout imports? Are the games like the PSP and region free?

Kanney wrote:
    Question bout imports? Are the games like the PSP and region free?

Yes ALL PS3 games are region free.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

scrapland wrote:
    But for movies BD is regionalized, unlike HD-DVD which is region free at the moment. Form BD you will have to buy American/Japanese movies.

Not entirely true

http://bluray.lindsite.dk/ (scroll down for Region B list)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

scrapland wrote:
    Yes ALL PS3 games are region free.

Great news. I love getting import games. I love Firepro and King of Colosseum for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 978 ✭✭✭AceCard Jones

All I will say about this is that it's true for now.
    Nothing is stopping them from changing it, and didn't Sony say it was also up to developers whether or not they region lock their titles?
    If any company sees a loss somehow from people importing they will introduce region locking very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

NeVeR wrote:
    thats cool, Well done to Sony..... about time someone did something like that... they save money as well. they only need to make 1 type for the whole world.

Absolutely loads of things have the ability to work with both power supplies(110/220) My ipod charger, my phone charger , my bluetooth headset charger my laptop charger, my external hard drives power supply to name but a few! Its nothing new to sony , as it you metioned its for saving money more than anything id presume

Advertisement