Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When is a service charge not a service charge? (Part 2)

Options
  • 16-01-2007 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055034331

I'm shocked and amazed people. The Hard Rock Cafe in Temple Bar are now doing the VERY SAME THING.

Was there last night and it looked like the waiter had crossed off the 5% service charge but it was just the way he had circled his name. Anyway he told me that the owner imposed it to help with the cost of the hike in minimum wage and it goes straight into the till.

I spoke with the manager to voice my disapproval of being deceived and he AGREED! He said he's getting complaints about it all the time and he's on our side because the money isn't going to the waiter. Unfortunately there's nothing he could do as it's a directive by the owner.

It was done already in the other thread, but I thought you'd all like to know that TGI's aren't the only ones.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

did you pay it?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Well presumably if it's on the bill having been shown clearly on the menu then you should. Not that I agree with it or anything. You have agreed to pay it by virtue of ordering the food on the menu.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Does this mean ther's nothing to stop any restaurant from listing apparently cheaper prices but subjecting them all to a 10% or 15% "service charge", which a customer would expect to be going to staff, but which is actually going straight to the restaurant? At the very least, it's sharp practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭bardcom

Devon wrote:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055034331

I'm shocked and amazed people. The Hard Rock Cafe in Temple Bar are now doing the VERY SAME THING.

Was there last night and it looked like the waiter had crossed off the 5% service charge but it was just the way he had circled his name. Anyway he told me that the owner imposed it to help with the cost of the hike in minimum wage and it goes straight into the till.

I spoke with the manager to voice my disapproval of being deceived and he AGREED! He said he's getting complaints about it all the time and he's on our side because the money isn't going to the waiter. Unfortunately there's nothing he could do as it's a directive by the owner.

It was done already in the other thread, but I thought you'd all like to know that TGI's aren't the only ones.
    Legally, you can't be made to pay a service charge - even if it's stated on the menu! You can simply ask that the service charge is removed. Many restaurants add the service charge and pocket it entirely, or pocket half and give the staff half. It *is* sharp practice. If you want to leave a tip, it's often better to leave a cash tip - that way the staff have the best chance to get it - but sometimes cash tips go into a pool and are split with the restaurant... Best thing to do - ask the staff. But don't forget that in many cases, the staff member that served you is supported by kitchen staff, washer-uppers, etc, so it's not a bad thing if the tip is split with them too.

** EDIT: Would surprise me if Irish law was different than UK in this regard. From the Consumer watchdog site: http://www.bbc.co.uk/consumer/your_rights/food.shtml "If a price is stipulated, for example, ten per cent service charge, that's what must be paid, unless, for any reason, you can legitimately criticise the standard of service - if meals were served at significantly different times, or otherwise if hot dishes were cold or undercooked. "

Advertisement