Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Easiest way to get a proof of address

Options
  • 03-01-2007 10:26am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭

My girlfriend needs a proof of address but is having a hard time getting one, can anyone advise on an easy way to get one? She can't use letters from Revenue because she is not working in Ireland and thus has no PPS-number. I am sub-letting so no utility bills are in my name, nor can they be transferred. We do however, both live together and so if we could just get any of the major companies to send her anything, we would have a letter with her name on it. Her name is on the door and she really does live with me, problem is how to prove it.

Any ideas anyone?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Why cant you transfer a bill to her name? Esb will do it over the phone.. just give a name and the next bill will be to them! Gas is more difficult but never had a problem with ESB in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭rediguana

Bank Statement, if she has an a/c.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭Ibjiba

Thank you for your replies. Unfortunately neither will work. I don't have a bill to write in her name as I am sub-letting and she doesn't have a bank account.

I was thinking about getting her a cheap travel insurance from AIB, that might work or what do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Ibjiba wrote:
    she doesn't have a bank account.

wtf, how can she not have a bank account? Is she in the country illegally?
    It's suspicious that she won't or can't open a bank account!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Ibjiba wrote:
    Her name is on the door and she really does live with me, problem is how to prove it.
    Send them a photo of the door. ;)

If you could tell us who is requesting ehe proof of address from your gf we might be able to tell you what would be acceptable to them as different people will accept different levels of proof.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Photoshop, A copy of someelse's bill, a scanner and a good laser printer would be a highly illegal way of doing this so I would not recommend it. However you could join a gym for a month, the library anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Well she needs proof of address for a bank account too :D So i can understand why she does not have one!

Here is an idea for prrof of address that companies should do.. simply send the person a letter and when she comes in a few days later with the letter then it should show she lives there :D Will not work in reality but not a bad idea.

Thank you again for your replies. I won't photoshop anything as I do not want to do anything illegal.

To further explain things: I live and work in Ireland. My girlfriend is a resident of Germany but will be living with me more or less constant for the coming months. If we provide my employer with a proof of adress of her living with me we will get certain benefits from my employer. That is why we need it. So since it is my employer I don't think it has to be that official but still can't be just anything.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

A Tv Licence in her name perhaps? Official enough I would guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Mobile phone bill? Electoral register?

I was going to say to get a PPSN, even if she's not working, but to get a PPSN you need proof of address :D

An invoice of some description would be enough for your employer I would guess. Can you order something online for her?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Get a joint bank account. It only has to be temporary :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

My housemate/tenant is having trouble with this too. She has her pps number but she got it when she rang up and she has nothing on paper. She doesn´t have a bank account because she has no proof of address even though I work for a bank and asked them if I could write a letter confirming she was living with me. Her employers want to start paying into her bank account and the bank will accept a letter from her employer confirming address, but the employers say they don´t want to do that, because how do they know. So maybe I can write a letter to them confirming it and ask them to write a letter for her. It seems to be just going round in circles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,082 ✭✭✭✭Random

Most places will accept one or two letters from a "person in authority" as proof of address. You mates with your local Gardai?

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭Kobie

Well if she's a resident of Germany and works abroad then naturally giving proof of an address in Ireland is going to be difficult since she doesn't seem to have one.

Why not put her name on your rental agreement? Presumably if she's moving to Ireland won't shel have to get a PPS number anyway?

K.

A simple way would be to just order something and get the invoice delivered to (name & address) or have forwarding address proof from Germany, like a letter from Deutches post for example.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

All the bank has to do is discharge its duty to make sure you're not attempting to launder money.

She should be able to get proof of address from the local Gardai.

Is she actually living here full time ?
    Do you have any documentation at all of her address here?
    Letters from a univeristy, library, anything!?

Also bare in mind the bank will possibly ask for a PPS number!

I'd strongly suggest that she first applies for PPS number. She's an EU national, it's not that big a deal to do. It's more of an issue for someone on a work permit (i.e. working here from outside the EU)

To apply :

(From Department of Social Welfare's site)
    For EU nationals (other than UK)

Current Valid Passport or National Identity Card
    and
    Evidence of either birth /work /unemployment /residency /tax liability /education in an EU/EEA country or Switzerland
    and
    Evidence of address in Ireland

The following are acceptable documents showing address:

Household Bill, Official letter/document, financial statement, property lease or tenancy agreement, verified employers letter. All documents must show the applicants name and address.

Thank you again for all your replies! Unfortunately she doesn't have anything to prove she lives here. I asked my employer and they do prefer some kind of utility bill. After talking to my landlord this is not possible. What I am thinking now is if it is possible to request for some forms or brochures from Revenue or a bank? Then she would get a letter home with her name and address printed on it and together with the logo.

Can anyone think of such a thing I could request that could work?

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Ciara22

Ibjiba,

I used to work in a credit union, and like banks, legislation states what is acceptable for proof of address. We had hundreds of foreign people looking to open accounts, but legally it cant be done without a proof of address. Banks are more strict that credit unions though. They will definitely need this and 2 proofs of address.

I suggest first opening a Credit union account, you will need her passport, and a letter from the your landlord that she is living at that address, with a bill in the landlords name. PPS number can be overlooked if her place of birth is on her passport (which it normally is).

A credit union statement is a recognised proof of address.

Just be nice to your landlord;)

I've ordered brochures and similair from a couple of companies now. However these all have my girlfriend's name printed on the envelope only, I need it on the paper inside.

Can anyone think of a company that will send me an invoice if I request it, but will simple let it be if I "change my mind" and don't pay/cancel my order?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Horv

The two of you go into Hibernian Insurance's new office in Hatch Street, get a life insurance proposal form and ask for Level Term life insurance quote paying €12.50 per month. As she does not have bank account you will have to use your bank account for the direct debit mandate so you will have to sign. Tell them that she needs policy immediately. They can input and issue policy on the spot which will have her address on the document. A couple of days later another letter will be sent out addressed to her at the given address. They will not require any proof of address. She uses this policy for the proof of address along with letters that you have oredered which should be acceptable and possibly for the credit union also. After it is used for relevant purposes, she is entitled to cancel policy within a month and get full refund so there will be no cost. This of course assumes that health wise she is ok. As far as I'm aware none of the other insurance companies can issue on the spot.

• Advertisement
Advertisement