Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I connect VGA PC to HDMI on LCD TV.

Options
  • 01-01-2007 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi,
    Appreciate any help or advice. I started to dicuss this in the Bargain alerts thread but felt it more suitable here.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055031082

Basically, I bought a Phillips 42" LCD tv and want to connect the PC, which is VGA, not DVI output. What's the best way of doing this?
    The TV does not have a com port but it has HDMI input.
    What do I need?

As suggested in the other thread, I think I need some type of VGA to DVI converter and a DVI to HDMI cable.
    Is the
    Would this set-up work?
    What would the picture quality be like?
    Would it be expensive?
    What about getting a DVI graphics card?

Any ideas where's good to order this kit?

Any help or advice appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Thread moved.............:)

VGA to DVI converters are available, Gefen springs to mind as a known brand, check here http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310.

A simpler (and a lot cheaper) solution would be to change the graphics card in your pc to one with a DVI output, doesn't need to be the last word, practically all graphics cards have DVI out.

Ritz.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Thanks for the info Ritz. Rang Peats, they said I need to ensure I have a "PCI/E" graphics driver to run a DVI graphics card? Not sure how to know if I have this. It's a dell Optiplex GX260.

I'm looking at this graphics card but not sure if it will work.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=324727

Also, one of the guys in work has just suggested using a simpler (And cheaper) "VGA to Component" cable such as this one.
    http://www2.dvigear.com/vgahtocovi3r.html?source=AdWords_VGAComponentCable2&gclid=CJD-25jLwYkCFT4GQgodMQKyUg

Would this work? An image of the connections on the TV are as follows (Page 2):
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf5331_10/42pf5331_10_pss_aen.pdf

Thanks again for any advice. :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭8T8

From what I can make out on Dell's site the Optiplex GX260 uses AGP instead of the newer PCI-e interface for graphics cards.

You can confirm this by downloading a program called CPU-Z, go to the mainboard tab and at the bottom it will list the type of graphics interface present on the motherboard.

All this means to you is that you must get a graphics card with an AGP interface that's all. If it does turn out to be AGP here are some suggestions;

The FX2000 you linked to above for €40.

An X1300 Pro which comes with ATI's AVIVO DVD decoder (useful for HTPC) for €98 - the better of the two.

DVI-HDMI cable 3M in length other lengths can be found in that category.

VGA to component will work but the picture quality wont be as good depending on circumstances. Also if your current GPU is old it may not have the necessary options with the driver to tweak the display to fit all of the desktop on screen.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, RicherSounds.ie Moderator Posts: 2,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Ritz

Just a note of caution............. if the Optiplex is a small form factor or a small desktop model then it needs a low profile graphics card...... a regular graphics card will fit, but the cover on the pc won't close. The Optiplex also takes AGP4x, make sure you get a compatible graphics card (an 8x card won't work in a 4x slot).

I suspect that whoever you were talking to in Peats thought you were looking for a card with HDMI out - there's no AGP graphics card with this, but loads of them with DVI.

Ritz.

Edit:

It looks like all the AGP cards on Komplett are AGP8x - if you can't find a suitable alternative, you could try a PCI card, this one, for instance, http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.asp?sku=327734, should do the trick.

Ritz.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭gamer

I have a 9700 pro agp card,with dvi,hdmi adaptor, it gives a nice clear picture on hd tv at 720 x1080 resolution.I had to download the latest driver to get it working at that resolution.IF you get a agp card 256meg ram, you will need a proper fan on the graphics card to cool it.I need 1 power cable, from my floppy drive and one standard power cable ,for the fan, just to run the agp card .Its got a fan and zalman cooler and its very quiet.MAKE SURE any agp card you get has dvi, and vga interface too. DVI for attachment to hd tv ,or lcd monitor.I sometimes play games on the 32inch tv ,i have LARGEst text fonts set up in display propertys advanced to make it easy to see the icons menus on the 32inch tv.You can still buy agp cards in maplins,or pc world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭adrian.s

Fr Dougal wrote:

Also, one of the guys in work has just suggested using a simpler (And cheaper) "VGA to Component" cable such as this one.
    http://www2.dvigear.com/vgahtocovi3r.html?source=AdWords_VGAComponentCable2&gclid=CJD-25jLwYkCFT4GQgodMQKyUg

Would this work? An image of the connections on the TV are as follows (Page 2):
    http://www.p4c.philips.com/files/4/42pf5331_10/42pf5331_10_pss_aen.pdf

Thanks again for any advice. :confused:

I'm using a VGA -> Component cable. The PC drives a Phillips Plasma and uses a resolution of 1024 * 768 which the tv treats it as a proper VGA signal. My Phillips plasma however limits the resolution you can drive the TV to 1024*768. If this is a problem for you, then you're back to the DVI.

Picture quality is good, but I do intend changing to DVI down the road.

HTH,
    A.

oooh, one last thing.... looking at your cable I not fully sure if it's compatible,

I used the following cable:

PC Cable Link

Note the extra few connectors, which are required. The cable you were looking at only had the RGB connectors. Whereas this one also has the v-sync and h-sync connectors.

A.

Thanks for the help so far.

I've run CPU-Z and on the "Mainboard" tab, the "Graphic Interface" fields are all empty.
    I'vo checked propertied on the desktop and it says I've got an "Intel 82845G/GL/GE/PE/GV Graphics Controller, which appears to support several different screen sizes. It's currently set at 1024 * 768.
    The PC is a tower system so space for a card should be okay. It's not very high spec PC, Celeron processor so not sure if Graphics card would even work though.

Adrian,
    Your VGA to Component cable seems to have grooves for the pins on the sockets but they are just push on connectors on my TV. Also, there's no v-sync or h-sync connectors, just red and white Audio in sockets.

CPU-Z is not always very happy with Dell machines - I've used it in the past and it's not always accurate. Do you have a digital camera ? Open the PC case and post a picture of the inside - we'll know whether it has an AGP slot - if you've described it accurately there should be one there, so all you need is a 4x agp card with DVI - I've probably got one lurking in the cupboard here if you get stuck.

If you just want to use it for playing dvds then the PC doesn't need to be high powered............ but it will give you the best dvd play back performance, short of very high-end equipment.

Ritz.

There are 3 GX260 models two of which use low profile cards the last one a mini-tower can accept full height card.

Take a look at the back of the case do the slots where peripherals go look like this (full height) or this (low profile).

Once you know which type of height card it accepts, take of the side panel to confirm the presence of an AGP slot. Take a look at this reference picture of your motherboard the AGP slot is marked as number 9.

Once you know for certain what it accepts you can proceed.

As for using the Intel integrated graphics with a VGA to component adapter, you may be able to but Intel do not expose a lot of options within their driver. You may have to use a program called Powerstrip in order to get a custom resolution that will make the desktop appear correctly on screen.

The native resolution of the screen is probably 1366 x 768 though you need to check the model number to confirm.

• Advertisement

download Belarc adviser to give you a more detailed overview of your pc.IF you wanna watch wma/divxx/dvd/dvdr you can buy a dvdplayer philips with usb interface,and dvi,or HDMI interface or component .HARVEY NORMAN have 1 99euro.ali/lidyl have em in stock every 3 months.50euro.TRY and get one that has progressive DVD Upscaling for hdtv display.YOU ,D need to be there at 9pm to get one in aldi.Get one with hdmi out for use on your tv.

Fr Dougal wrote:

Adrian,
    Your VGA to Component cable seems to have grooves for the pins on the sockets but they are just push on connectors on my TV. Also, there's no v-sync or h-sync connectors, just red and white Audio in sockets.

The cable should come with adapters to convert to RCA connectors. At least the one I ordered did. Regarding the V / H sync stuff, then you should be fine, I just assumed that Philips would have the same type of component input, but obviously not.

A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

The Ritz wrote:
    The Optiplex also takes AGP4x, make sure you get a compatible graphics card (an 8x card won't work in a 4x slot).

99% of agp 8x cards out there will work at x4 just fractionally slower. All 8x AGP should be backwards compatable with 4x.

You may be getting confused with PCIe 16 vs PCIe 8 where the sucess rate is lower. (thats if the slots are physically big enough) Still worth trying imo.

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Decided, I'm going to go for the AGP DVI card and DVI to HDMI cable. Will probably be a couple of weeks before I do this, spent a lot over the last few weeks..........

Also, I'm running ducting to hide cables and looking for ducting big enough to take a scart plug through. Gonna plaster over it when laid.

I'll let ye know when I get it done.

On a side note, the son bought a Nintendo WII on Saturday and connected it to the 42"tv. He was streaming video via the Netopia modem and the picture was pretty acceptable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pete81

Hi

I have a lap top with VGA connections and am trying to connect to Philips LCD HDMI TV. Can I get a graphics card like the ones mentioned above or is this not possible with a lap top.

This is my first post and im not too well up on the techie side of things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pete81

pete81 wrote:
    Hi

I have a lap top with VGA connections and am trying to connect to Philips LCD HDMI TV. Can I get a graphics card like the ones mentioned above or is this not possible with a lap top.

This is my first post and im not too well up on the techie side of things so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Pete81

Does your laptop have a DVI out on it ?

If no then things are tricky because HDMI is digital only so it requires a digital output like DVI not VGA.

There are ways around this you can acquire speciality converters that will convert a VGA analogue signal into a digital signal which can then be plugged into a HDMI port but the cost of these are a few hundred euros.

The alternate option is a concept device which was just shown at the CES an external graphics card if your laptop has an Expresscard slot you could use one of those when they launch later this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 pete81

It only has a VGA output.

I have seen the price of the converters and think they are too dear.
    Gonna try to hook up to tv in other room.

thanks for the help..

You can use s-video if your TV has the input but the picture quality will not be as good it is one of those things you would have to see in action to see if it's worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

The Ritz wrote:
    Thread moved.............:)

VGA to DVI converters are available, Gefen springs to mind as a known brand, check here http://www.gefen.com/kvm/product.jsp?prod_id=1310.

A simpler (and a lot cheaper) solution would be to change the graphics card in your pc to one with a DVI output, doesn't need to be the last word, practically all graphics cards have DVI out.

Ritz.

This is massively overpriced. I got mine from Galaxy Computers for less than €20 [can't remember the exact price].

For reference prices

Much less expensive than buying a graphics card.

IrishTLR wrote:
    This is massively overpriced. I got mine from Galaxy Computers for less than €20 [can't remember the exact price].

For reference prices

Much less expensive than buying a graphics card.

You are misunderstanding the implications of VGA & DVI to HDMI;

DVI-I is the universal DVI standard it supports DVI-D which is a digital signal and DVI-A which is an analogue signal.

You cannot interface a DVI-A signal with HDMI as DVI-A is analogue it must be DVI-D for it to work. In other words your graphics card must have a DVI output.

When you convert via one of those little VGA-DVI €20 adapters it takes the VGA signal and turns it into DVI-A the signal is still analogue not digital ergo it cannot be used to plug into a HDMI display which is why those expensive converters which do analogue to digital conversion where linked to.

• Advertisement

If you are on a budget get agp card with dvi and vga out for 45euro in maplins.Sometimes peats have HDcables going cheap in bargain bin, rear of tv section,parnell street.or get 256meg ram agp card with dvi and vga 80euro ma

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Baltrasnabullte

I have the same situation and I think this video card in Peats looks pretty good
    http://www.peats.com/cgi-bin/catalog.cgi?view_product=1&id=23654&sid=14&cid=122&scid=315

Advertisement