Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Album Archive on Phantom 105.2

• 06-12-2006 1:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭

The Album Archive is on every Sat night at 9pm. This week we're taking a look at the Manic Street Preachers "Everything Must Go" to co-inside with it's 10 year anniversary (yeah we didn't think it was that old either!)

Any suggestions for future weeks or indeed any comments on previous shows?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭catch--22

Album Archive this week is Elliott Smiths' "Either/Or"

Sat 16th Dec 9pm on Phantom 105.2

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

Have you done Doolittle by the Pixies yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭QM79

When the new Pumpkins album comes out next year you could do Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness as part of the Archive. It is probably the best double album EVER. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Smurfpiss

I second all those suggestions.
    Would also put forward the KidA/Amnesiac sessions, lots of really great bsides and live tracks with it.
    Also Whipping boy - Heartworm (if that hasnt been done already)
    And maybe Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (seeing as he released the outtakes album as well)
    Other artists i would suggest:
    Neil Young
    Doves

Have you done Doolittle by the Pixies yet?

My fav album of all time....it has been done in a previous Phantom life...but'll I'll do my all to get in in again!!
    QM79 wrote:
    When the new Pumpkins album comes out next year you could do Mellon Collie and the Infinite Sadness as part of the Archive. It is probably the best double album EVER.

Yes we will.....that would make a great show I think!
    Smurfpiss wrote:
    I second all those suggestions.
    Would also put forward the KidA/Amnesiac sessions, lots of really great bsides and live tracks with it.
    Also Whipping boy - Heartworm (if that hasnt been done already)
    And maybe Sufjan Stevens - Illinois (seeing as he released the outtakes album as well)
    Other artists i would suggest:
    Neil Young
    Doves

I think Heartworm might have been done in a previous life....but I don't see why we shouldn't update old shows for the new station!

As a big Sufjan fan I'll have a look at that one! In fact I might pencil it in for the following week!

All other suggestions have been noted too! Thanks for the input people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

My fav album of all time

Mine too. And Catch-22 my favourite book. GET OUT OF MY HEAD.

Next week on the Album Archive is PJ Harvey's "Dry".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

some of the suggestions here are fine but I just think, the manics/Pumpkins/pixies/Pj Harvey are still relatively recent. How about unearthing some long forgotten nuggets like

The Stooges FunHouse, CAN Tago Mago, Neu! (1st Album), The Velvet Underground loaded, King Crimson Red and so on

Sounds good.....will look at them for the week after!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

maybe some arcade fire with the whole buzz about their new album

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5 mlam

How bout Jane's Addiction? Maybe C'mon feel The Lemonheads too cause they're back on the scene- it was 1 of my fave albums when I was much younger. I'd also be curious to hear a show bout The Mary Jane's album Sham

*starts writing out a list*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭-Lithium-

Lots of really great suggestions above (particularly the Radiohead ones :)). I've heard two of the programmes, REM's "UP" and The Yeah Yeah Yeahs album, really enjoyed them. Obviously lots of work put into the programme, it's just a pity they are broadcasted on Saturday nights, it's hard to catch them at that time. Hope you'll repeat them some time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,794 ✭✭✭JC 2K3

Oh man, Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth would be epic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,584 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

As a big Sufjan fan I'll have a look at that one! In fact I might pencil it in for the following week!

also sufjan has a christmas release aswell. it's 5 ep's recorded over 5 years - one a year - and it contains both orignal work and christmas favourites.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭damonjewel

Marquee moon by Television is super dooper too

Next week we are looking at "Waiting for the Sun" by the Doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Eddie Specs

screamadelica and the stone roses would be good ones

We covered Screamadelica! a few weeks back......it was one of the firsrt ones we did, so sorry you missed it....but I'm sure we'll have a look at the Stone Roses soon!

Well, at least you're doing the good ones ;) . I suppose you've done The Bends too.

few suggestions: Fear Factory-demanufacture, ash-1977,acdc-high voltage ,jeff buckley-grace,bob dylan-the freewheelin' Bob Dylan, rage against the machine, space-spiders,the presidents of the united states of america, snow patrol-songs for polarbears

• Advertisement

The Bends hasn't been covered yet.....and some other good ones there!

aye you gotta do The Bends...it's one of the best albums of all time...surely? :)

True....don't worry it will be done!

I was thinking of a Thin Lizzy release for the week after as it's the 21st anniversary and all.......any suggestions?

If you're doing a Radiohead album it's gotta be Kid A.

some would argue ok computer was the breakthrough...although Kid A was one of those albums that Radiohead fans at the time were most certainly put off by- and then eventually came round to. it was quite a transition, but even at the time I loved idioteque, really driving original track.

Yeah I used to not like the later Radiohead albums, then I just listened to Kid A one day and its greatness hit me.

OK Computer is brilliant, but to do it on the Album Archive would be kinda contrived, it's topped loads of lists and is the most famous Radiohead album. I've gone off The Bends recently, I love some of the tracks, but tbh, I much prefer Kid A these days.

The Bends is still one of those albums I can listen to all the way through without flicking, it's seemless- I remember hearing the intro's echoed sound effects (planet telex) and just being hypnotized

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Filthy Jeff

You've probably done Grace and Dark Side of the Moon before but I'd love to hear them.

Failing that how about the Battle of Los Angeles by RATM?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Pavement - 'Crooked Rain, Crooked Rain'
    Nick Cave - 'The Boatman's Call' or 'Murder Ballads'
    Tindersticks - 'Curtains'

All worth looking into.

• Advertisement

Please keep those suggestions coming in!! Some really good ones there......but for now.....

Next week....Radioheads' "Kid A"

Yes!!!

catch--22 wrote:
    Please keep those suggestions coming in!! Some really good ones there......but for now.....

Next week....Radioheads' "Kid A"

for the bsides get your mitts on "the amazing sounds of orgy"
    ok technically it was a pyramid song bside but it was all the same session...
    amazing song-would love to hear it on phantom :)

Smurfpiss wrote:
    for the bsides get your mitts on "the amazing sounds of orgy"
    ok technically it was a pyramid song bside but it was all the same session...
    amazing song-would love to hear it on phantom :)

Wrong album I'm afraid....there were no singles from Kid A and as such no b-sides!

But we might get a chance to to cover Amnesiac at some stage!

ah i know it was amnesiac, but like i say they were all recorded at the same time so seeing as you do outtakes and bsdies...teccccchnnnicalllyyyyyyyyy.
    ah go on :D
    i look forward to it anyhoo. wait..ah crap illl be going to the phantasm thingy. might get a wee bit of it on the bus.

Well, since you're not gonna even bother listening!! Tsk! ;)

We'll see what we can do!

• Advertisement

It'd be great if you'd take both Kid A and Amnesiac together in the same week because the reality of the situation is that there won't be enough weeks to cover all the good albums out there, and, as Smurfpiss pointed out, they both came from the same recording session.

And to reiterate a point I made earlier in this thread, it's a pity the programme is aired on a Saturday night. Obviously a lot of time goes into making it, it deserves a better spot. Or a least to be repeated at some stage.

I feel quite confident that we could come back to Amnesiac again at a later stage....with the a new album on the way we might even get a few weeks put aside for a some of radioheads releases when that comes out!

I think there would be too much in Kid A to have to share it with another album....an hour sounds like a lot of time...but in reality thats only about 10 tracks and a small about of speech! But I do understand what you're saying about the two albums.

I will however be looking into getting a repeat slot for the show to suit people who miss the Sat night slot!

A few weeks dedicated to Radiohead would be fantastic :)

-Lithium- wrote:
    A few weeks dedicated to Radiohead would be fantastic :)

thought you might like that!

Next week on the Album Archive:

Pixies - "Doolittle" (20/01/07)

• Advertisement

Next week we have Brian Wilson's "Smile"!

Next Sat (27/01/2007) 9pm on Phantom 105.2

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Jeanious

hey i dont suppose ya got the repeat slot sorted did ya? Was half listenin to brian wilson last night (the girlfriend!) and it sounded class. Failin that, did anyone happen to tape it by any chance??

Yes, please, please can we have a repeat slot? I haven't managed to catch anything since way before Christmas :(

Still working on it! Should have an update soon!

In the time being....next week (3/2/2007) "Are Your Experienced?" The Jimi Hendrix Experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Spazgazz

How about doing Tom Waits "blue valentine"?

Good choice..."Closing Time" would be up there too I think!

Next week (10/02/2007) on the Album Archive we'll be looking at The Postal Service "Give Up" from 2003.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

WOOOOOO! Someone pointed out to me that the independant directory ad on the station sounds a bit postal servicey :D

Rockiemalt wrote:
    WOOOOOO! Someone pointed out to me that the independant directory ad on the station sounds a bit postal servicey :D

That was me. jesus you have terrible amnesia Rockie. :D

Yeah, I heard that add yesterday....very like Such Great Heights alright! Found a great video clip on the web yesterday for Ben Folds doing his studio cover! Go to Youtube and you'll find it!

• Advertisement
Advertisement