Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work Stress Help

Options
  • 03-12-2006 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone, going through some stuff at the moment in work and I would appreciate everyones input.

Firstly, leaving and getting another job isn't really an option as I have put so much time and effort into my department that walking away would be very hard plus I like the job, the location, and to be honest it would be like surrendering.

Anyways, it is a small company with 10 employees, I am head of my department which incidentally is responsible for about 80% of the companies work.

There is no hierarchy in the company in terms of handing out orders they all come from the MD which is grand, we are all responsible for our own work, again this is grand. The MD has a right hand man for want of a better phrase, he is a yes man, he would shine the bosses shoes if he was asked. Its a very odd relationship to observe and tbh I really think he has feelings for the MD.

Anyways, where do I come into it and what am I going on about? Basically this yes man (who deals with clients also) has done everything in his power to get me out of there. The MD thinks I am the best thing since slice pan (I get through a lot of work and I am always moving further ahead and pushing the boundaries (we are in a creative field). When MD isn't there the 'Yes Man' will do NO work at all, sit there playing boss and generally do whatever the the hell he likes. I could go on and on about this and things he has done in the past to paint a proper picture of this psycho but it would take too long.

Basically he does no work at all when boss isn't there and when boss is he talks utter crap and makes up reasons why things weren't achieved. Hes a liar, pure and simple. On Thursday last week we had a confrontation about something. He was working on one of my projects (not his area at all) and had fuc$ed it up and passed it to me saying it was broken (he broke it). I was already under pressure and now had added pressure of fixing something he shouldn't have been near at all.

I've been to the boss countless times to complain but nothing has changed, I think I now need to get to the same level as this parasite and play the same game.

To summarise, little runt trying to get rid of me as he feels threatened, making up crap and making me look stupid, need payback...I'm passed being depressed, just angry now.

I am a girl with 9 guys if this sheds some light.

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'prepare a case against him. when u are ready with it, refuse communication with him (u have a right to do this if he is not respectful to u). IF/when the MD approaches you put your case to him in private, make sure your case has some solid foundation. bare in mind that the MD may be pulling all the strings here.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Ishindar1 wrote:
    'prepare a case against him. when u are ready with it, refuse communication with him (u have a right to do this if he is not respectful to u). IF/when the MD approaches you put your case to him in private, make sure your case has some solid foundation. bare in mind that the MD may be pulling all the strings here.'

He has zero respect for me! Infact I am pretty sure he hates me purely because I have a great working relationship with the MD. The MD told me in the past that the your man feels threatened by me and that is an excuse for his behaviour. However he is NEVEr called up on it.

I am preparing a case on him though, every single incident is getting recorded. Just need to figure out how to deal with this in teh meantime so i can hang on in there.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Hidden camera when the boss is gone?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

'
    TheGooner wrote:
    He has zero respect for me! Infact I am pretty sure he hates me purely because I have a great working relationship with the MD. The MD told me in the past that the your man feels threatened by me and that is an excuse for his behaviour. However he is NEVEr called up on it.

I am preparing a case on him though, every single incident is getting recorded. Just need to figure out how to deal with this in teh meantime so i can hang on in there.

sounds like your MD knows the score and is reluctant to act. if it is harassment your MD will be forced to act.'

• Registered Users Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Huggles

Reluctant is not the word! Thats why I am saying it is a very odd relationship to observe!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,493 ✭✭✭An Ri rua

Why don't you get some perspective on things? By setting absolutes like 'I must keep this job', you're limiting yourself. Check out a Work LIfe Balance course like the Clarity one being run at Temple Spa. You're allowing yourself to be fenced in and can't see the options anymore. Stop reacting! Take care

TheGooner wrote:
    Reluctant is not the word! Thats why I am saying it is a very odd relationship to observe!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 313 ✭✭Dalfiatach

I was in almost exactly the same situation once years ago. Me and my team did all the work, but there was this slimy wee toerag who was incapable of doing anything at all (technical field) but thought for some reason he was in charge :rolleyes:

Also had the same creepy semi-homoerotic relationship with the MD.

After a particular project when we'd been pulling 80-hour weeks to get the job done, slimeball decided to "take charge" on my day off, and promptly messed the whole thing up at massive cost.

The MD defended him and said he wasn't even going to reprimand him. I resigned on the spot. And good riddance to them.

Life's too short. If a company are taking your talents and hard work for granted, while promoting/supporting incompetent arselicking fools, then it's time to go get another job. I've seen it happen before many times. Once, the senior techie walked out, and brought most of the other competent people with him. Serves bad bosses right when things like that happen :)

• Registered Users Posts: 990 ✭✭✭galactus

I've found the best way to be noticed (not that you seem to need it) is to take tactical sick-days when its busiest.

As for that knob (sales-type, i assume), i'd approach him directly. Be prepared for some verbal. Then approach the MD directly.

Why should you resign!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

I know how hard it is to walk away from something you've spent a lot of time building up, but you have to pick your fights gooner. You could spend the next two years fighting this guy on his own level, and achieve nothing but being dragged down to his level.

I'm afraid you have to bite the bullet. Go to your boss, explain again how things are (and don't use phrases like "he sits there acting the boss" - give specifics) and say that unless things have changed by - say - this time next month, you're walking. And then do it.

Advertisement