Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Driving Test SGS!!!

Options
  • 30-11-2006 7:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭

Currently waiting about 5 months in south Dublin for my driving test and I've just been sent a letter by SGS to arrange a test with them. I've known nothing about this until now, is this common? And furthermore, does anyone know anything about their success rate???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Don't SGS also own the NCT franchise atm? ANyway, the pass rate is higher than the government test. That was reported on the news a few days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

I've a test with them in a week so I'll let you know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 23,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭feylya

I was told by my driver instructor that they pass pretty much everyone at the moment (not his words but it was suggested). Which test centre are you using?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Really? That sounds awesome. My test is in Churchtown, I failed the first time with the Dept of Transport crowd.

SGS don't have a Churchtown center afaik. It should be Deansgrange.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

feylya wrote:
    SGS don't have a Churchtown center afaik. It should be Deansgrange.
    Well i applied with churchtown. Maybe they moved me!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,843 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

hi, davyhose, which instructor did u have in churchtown? that particular test centre seem to like failing people... they failed me too and i have heard alot of stories

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Idbatterim wrote:
    hi, davyhose, which instructor did u have in churchtown? that particular test centre seem to like failing people... they failed me too and i have heard alot of stories
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/passrates.html

Driving Test Centre Pass Rate %* Weeks Waiting**
    Churchtown 48.4 34

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

John_C wrote:
    I've a test with them in a week so I'll let you know.
    Update:

My test has been postponed because they're too busy. Apparantly the traffic is a lot worse than what they had allowed for.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Ballyman

Do you have to apply seperately to SGS for the test or is it pot luck who tests you when you eventually do get called??

I applied to Naas about 3 months ago and haven't heard a thing from SGS or Dep. of Transport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Kebab

Hi guys

I reapplied for my test about 3 months ago (requested the Churchtown route) and got a letter on Tuesday to ring SGS to arrange a test. Have done it twice previously both in Rathgar so didn't want to go back there.

Rang SGS yesterday and they've put me down for the Citywest route - asked if I wanted Deansgrange (I assume from the comments here that that was because I'd requested Churchtown!) but I'm miles away from there so I said I'd go with Citywest. It's all totally different to the way it was - there was no suggested time or date on the letter, I just rang them yesterday and talked to the lady there who told me when the next date for Citywest was (second week in January). It's confusing as I assumed I'd get a route I knew (i.e Churchtown).

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any driving instructors who know what route they do from Citywest? I've picked up many bad habits in the years I've been driving so a couple of pre-test lessons are needed!

Thanks

K

• Registered Users Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Kebab wrote:
    Hi guys

I reapplied for my test about 3 months ago (requested the Churchtown route) and got a letter on Tuesday to ring SGS to arrange a test. Have done it twice previously both in Rathgar so didn't want to go back there.

Rang SGS yesterday and they've put me down for the Citywest route - asked if I wanted Deansgrange (I assume from the comments here that that was because I'd requested Churchtown!) but I'm miles away from there so I said I'd go with Citywest. It's all totally different to the way it was - there was no suggested time or date on the letter, I just rang them yesterday and talked to the lady there who told me when the next date for Citywest was (second week in January). It's confusing as I assumed I'd get a route I knew (i.e Churchtown).

I just wanted to see if anyone knew of any driving instructors who know what route they do from Citywest? I've picked up many bad habits in the years I've been driving so a couple of pre-test lessons are needed!

Thanks

K

One of the most common misconceptions people make with regards to the driving test is "opting" for certain centres as they know their "routes" better. While it is handy to know the area relevant, at the end of the day one is not going to drive that area for all eternity and the skills needed to drive carry through all over the world so it matters little where you sit it. If you want to learn the area a bit better, just drive there on a Saturday or Sunday and have a loot at it.

One piece of advice, get a few lessons first off as opposed to a Pre Test if you have not driven much so you can iron out any wee faults you may have in your driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Kebab

Yeah that's the point the lady in SGS made when I told her I didn't know the area well at all... I know she's (and you are) right but I would have been more comfortable with an area I know better - they always gave you the option of choosing two routes before, I'm just surprised they've changed it this much....

I do want to get lessons/pre-test but at the same time I'm a bit wary as I got 3 lessons the last time I did it and the instructor told me to indicate past every parked car on the side of the road. This basically was my downfall. I probably took him too literally but I wouldn't have done it if he hadn't told me to - meaning when I did the test (9.30am on a weekday morning) there were cars parked everywhere and my indicator was going for some time :eek: Of course it was confusing for the car behind me, but I was worried about not doing it. When I went back into the centre the tester did ask me was there anything I wouldn't normally have done and I said the indicating and he basically said that was why I'd failed... another lesson leant :rolleyes:

K

• Registered Users Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭jjbrien

Do SGS do the tests in Finglas?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,061 ✭✭✭Sarn

I had originally applied for my test in Churchtown back in January but had it switched to SGS Deansgrange. Did it last month (got it :) ).

They'd only just opened. I can understand them having problems squeezing people in as the traffic when I was doing it was terrible and the test took close to an hour. The tester was lovely though which helped.

I had two pre-tests but the instructor didn't know all of the routes as they were only new. I ended up doing it in a different area (around Monkstown), which I know a little. But as has been pointed out, it shouldn't make any difference so long as you know what you're doing.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,484 ✭✭✭Red Alert

I heard churchtown is ridiculous for failing people. (Sour grapes warning: i failed on friday)

Hope i get SGS next time.

Sorry for dragging this thread up folks but John C, did you get your test with SGS? How did it go?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Red Alert wrote:
    I heard churchtown is ridiculous for failing people. (Sour grapes warning: i failed on friday)
    Whilst not the worst they are below average!
    http://www.drivingtest.ie/drivingtest/HTMLContent/passrates.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,171 ✭✭✭1huge1

im 17 in a month and was going to apply for the test
    but these guys sound much better
    anyone know if they have any in limerick (or even tipperary) and how do i apply
    thanks

You apply as normal. It's the luck of the draw whether you get these guys or the government testers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,917 ✭✭✭✭Stark

jjbrien wrote:
    Do SGS do the tests in Finglas?

They do tests for people who've applied for the Finglas test centre, though their actual test centre is in the NCT place in Ballymun.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭AnotherYou

I'm now <SNIP> myself for wednesday. I'm doing mine and I hope I pass.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I suggest you read the charter before posting, especially the bit about use of bad language on this forum.
    Also dragging up nearly 3 year old threads is generally frowned upon unless you have a good reason to bring them back up.
    Thread Closed.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement