Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Allofmp3 to be closed :(

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,780 ✭✭✭JohnK

that sucks :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

CyberGhost wrote:
    Maybe they'll move to Sweden?

My money would be on Ukraine.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

Not surprised, definitely expect it to pop up in some other country...

Still don't understand why people pay for illegal music, but that's just me!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

xebec wrote:
    Not surprised, definitely expect it to pop up in some other country...

Still don't understand why people pay for illegal music, but that's just me!

Because it's way more convenient, you can rip music in any format you want, you have huge choice right on the palm of your hand, and it's cheap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Heh, I think Sweden isn't the place to relocate, rather Holland (I guess you're thinking of that well known case... and isn't it Holland that they went to?).

I used to use allofmp3 until they stopped doing visa card payments (xrost etc is a pain). So, I don't really care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

So how long have I got left to use up my credit?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

I used them once for some Beck albums, they were pretty good.

So how long have I got left to use up my credit?

I've heard you can't download at all(basically it's frozen), I haven't tried myself.

btw, has anyone noticed how they raised prices lately? I know it's still dirt cheap but still it was like 0.015 cents per mb and last I check it cost 0.23 cents to download a song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭DublinEvents

The only true way to fight music piracy is to make mp3's so cheap that people don't feel the need for stealing it. I mean what if every mp3 cost 5 or 10 cents? I bet then 99% of the people would buy it. No one likes stealing. People download mp3's illegally just coz they can't pay for all the music they love. An honour system would also be good whereby people pay for music they actually love and keep. I'm sure there are enough honest people in the world to keep such an honour system profitable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

I agree with DublinEvents. If MP3's were only a few cent each (20c say), you'd find a lot more people willing to pay for their music legally.

ambrose :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

CyberGhost wrote:
    I've heard you can't download at all(basically it's frozen), I haven't tried myself.

btw, has anyone noticed how they raised prices lately? I know it's still dirt cheap but still it was like 0.015 cents per mb and last I check it cost 0.23 cents to download a song.

I downloaded stuff last night.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

I could this coming as soon as USA started hassling Russia over them. Thankfully I used up the remainder of my credit two months ago. I will really miss them as the choice of formats, bit rate and selection of music was amazing. Why can't the music industry take them as a template for selling music?

iTunes is too restrictive. I want to bring my mp3 player into a music store, PAY, download and KEEP my music and use it on any mp3 player. Not interested in any of this DRM crap or renting the music like so places offer (keep subscribing or your music will no longer work).

I am fully prepared to pay for a good product. I spent around $300 on allofmp3 in a year, I wouldn't normally spend that on cd's, which I think are clunky 70s technology past its sell-by-date.

The good news is there are many other sites out there that will emulate allofmp3.com which will keep us supplied with the drug we love: music until the RIAA pull their thumb out of their a$$e$ and give us what we want.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,916 ✭✭✭dubmick

I agree with DublinEvents. If MP3's were only a few cent each (20c say), you'd find a lot more people willing to pay for their music legally.

ambrose :cool:

yeah but then nobody would buy cd's at all. It's a catch 22 situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

dubmick wrote:
    yeah but then nobody would buy cd's at all. It's a catch 22 situation.

And thats a bad thing?

Seriously though if a music store held everything as a digital file they could offer a service where you pick the music and for a small extra charge they could burn your selection to cd. Everybody wins! RIAA get their money, we get digital music and those who want it could have cd's!

Less cd's less waste less planet killing.... downloading saves the planet

Mother earth loves all the illegal people

John

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭damienom

There's always gomusic.ru before the bastards get them too

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭SwampThing

if you've credit left on allofmp3 and can't download music from it, download the alltunes explorer client to your PC and you'll be able to get your files. Just did it there a few minutes ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,035 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Managed to use up my credit through allofmp3explorer (old version of alltunes). Having said that, your credit doesn't go as far as it used to. Only managed to get 2 albums and about $0.30 change out of the $4.50 I had left.

Would agree that the price of legal downloads should come down. Haven't actually downloaded any albums off the likes of itunes but last time I checked it's cheaper to buy the cd off online retailers such as cdwow or play.com than actually paying for the download. Why would I ever pay for a download that costs more than having the cd and is full of DRM rubbish, when I can just buy the cd and rip it to whatever format I want and not have to worry about what system I can and cannot play it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

Yeah song prices are average 16c.

I did notice a while ago when I tried to update my balance that it would not accept any visa or mastercard cards.

Alltunes was always faster than the site for downloads anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,943 ✭✭✭Mutant_Fruit

I think Microsofts new ploy pretty much highlights the issue of why DRM will never work....

I'm sure everyone here is familiar with "PlayForSure". Well, all heavily DRM'ed "PlayForSure" songs will no longer "PlayForSure" :p All those songs you invested in won't play on new portable players as PlayForSure is being abandoned now by microsoft in favor of the new (even more crippling) zune DRM. So either you don't ever get a new player (i.e. stick to old players with PlayForSure support), or you dump all those playforsure songs. Your choice.

Thankfully all those CD's i bought 20 years ago can still be put on any portable player i own. *That's* compatibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,828 ✭✭✭unklerosco

Well it aint gone yet...

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=5157
    First of all, the site is functioning perfectly under Russian law. It sends 15% of its profits to the Russian Organization for Multimedia and Digital Systems (ROMS), which is the extent of its liability. From there, ROMS will distribute those royalties to the proper artists upon being contacted and given proof of copyright. A copyright holder can also request not to have tracks sold by sending a letter to AllofMP3, which would then take those particular tracks down.

Of course, nobody has bothered to write. At all. AllofMP3 has not heard from any content holders, and ROMS has not received a single request to distribute royalties. In fact, AllofMP3 hasn't heard from anyone, even the regulatory agencies that are supposedly trying so hard to shut it down both in the US and in Russia.

Studios are claiming it's because they don't wish to "legitimise AllofMP3," but I have a different theory. Could it be that people are just too lazy to get their money, since it's not automatically sent to them like it is in America and the UK?

-Bit-Tech

Sucks you can't pay through CC though :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Check out gomusic.ru. The same kind of setup, with the same kind of legal issues no doubt.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

Anyone who didn't think this was inevitable was ignoring reality tee bee haitch.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,283 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Although it's not as good as allofmp3, http://mclub.te.net.ua/ is based in the Ukraine and will probably be still up and running for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Was looking for some obscure stuff earlier and decided to go back to allofmp3 to see if it was still running. It seems to be taking payment from my Mastercard again and is working fine.

Does it work streight from allofmp3 website? the last time I checked they were redirecting you to somewhere else, where you had to buy a pin and then blah blah blah...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

it directed me somewhere but not the same crap as last time. No pin required anyway.

Give it a go.

• Advertisement

Cool thanks for the update Quarry!

AllofMP3 FTW!!!!

Advertisement