Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Going thin on top

Options
  • 14-11-2006 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Please move this if its not in the suitable forum.

Ive been going a bit, well, Kojak like for awhile now and I was wondering if anyone has experienced positive results from the many many clinics now on offer both here and the UK?

Also:

Does Regaine do any good or is it just a con?

All feedback appreciated. I like and want to keep my hair :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

William don't let the likes of lads like me who have gorgeous, shiny, luscious hair ridicule you. Be bald, be proud and polish your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 William Shatner

Very helpful Pighead :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Do as I do. Get the mach3 out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Very helpful Pighead :rolleyes:

In fairness, he's right. for once...
    You should have called yourself Jean Luc Picard, now there's a good lookin' bald man!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Yeah OP, keep it tight and trim and it shouldn't look too bad. I've never bothered with treatments or lotions and potions as it has never really bothered me and I've been going bald since I was about 23 or so. Still have some hair on top but definitely very thin :)

Have a look at this for some more info but please remember that this is related to a specific type of baldness which may not be the cause of your going thin.

Find the cause, you may find a solution! Otherwise, be yourself and carry on with life :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Did I just see B agree with Pighead? Shocking stuff indeed.

Can't say I've ever done the whole regrowth/stimulation thing OP. I've been thinning at the top and slightly at the front for years now. I've never had any negative reaction to it from anyone. Occasionally a joke will be made in work, but it's good natured and I'm several years older than most of them so it doesn't bother me.

When I was single I used to get it shaved and I have to say it did suit me and I received several compliments, but I think I was a bit neo-nazi looking for my GF who made me grow what I have back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

ftw

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

Blade 1 all around, makes me feel a lot more presentable. Wee bit thin on top, nothing to write home about or anything! Short thin hair looks better than long thin hair. People with combovers deserve the ridicule they get. I've read that those regaine / rogaine treatments only work for as long as you use them. Stop taking it and it all falls out! :eek:

Saves you loads at the hairdressers as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,277 ✭✭✭✭Rb

OP, you'd be probably best off asking your GP about products/treatments tbh.

Personally I haven't any advice to offer as its not a situation I'm facing (yet, and hopefully not for a long, long time).

However, I did see a programme on RTE before about some guy getting hair replacements in the Blackrock Clinic. From what I could see they took hair folicles(sp?) from other areas of his head and implanted them where his hair was no longer growing. Came out absolutely flawless too but they did warn that some other places advertising the treatment did shoddy jobs of it which they've ended up having to fix.
    So I guess thats always an option...

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,072 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I think I saw that on tv3 a while back. Man was as bald on top as a very bald person. What they do is stretch the existing hair across the scalp. French guy doing it I think.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't even notice when people are balding to be honest... It's just not something that I've ever noticed, even if they've got NO hair on the top of their head. Maybe it's some sort of problem with my perception that I should get sorted out :confused: But if other people are like myself then they won't think twice about it. So don't be worried from that perspective.

And from a style perspective I'd say keep it quite short and neat, or else let it grow a bit and grow a beard to counter it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Moved from AH.
    I haven't used any of those hair in a can remedies. Shave it, best thing that you can do. No point in fighting what is going to happen. Ruu has the ladies running after him since I got rid of the few pieces of hair I had left. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

Look dude, as one ex-girlfriend put it to me, all women notice initially in a guy is a clean shirt and a nice smile.

Regaine will give you the whispy hair that you probably have on your forearms. It's a nightmare in terms of daily application (so I've been told!) and very expensive.

Also, steer clear of natural remedies such as Saw Palmetto, unless you want to develop man-breasts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

MarkR wrote:
    Short thin hair looks better than long thin hair.

Donkeys!

If I ever go bald, I'm doing a Devin Townsend job:

strapping_young_lad.jpg
    SYL_waldrock_metalex_03.jpg

Kickass! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

He does have a certain allure alright... One only he could pull off... :p

MarkR wrote:
    I think I saw that on tv3 a while back. Man was as bald on top as a very bald person. What they do is stretch the existing hair across the scalp. French guy doing it I think.
    Thats not the one I saw.
    The one in question was a youngish barber, was receeding a bit in the front and had a patch at the back. From what I remember they removed the folicles from around the sides and back of his head and transplanted them into the affected regions. They showed him a few months later and he had a full head of thick hair again, so I guess they did a good job of it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

There's always been *something* about Devin Townsend.
    Not sure what it is. (The second pic looks a lil frightening though Hungus!)
    His hair's definitely got something to do with it.
    He knows he's going bald, but it's not stopping him, y'know?
    Definately sexy!

He knows he's going bald

In fairness, he's a little past going bald...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

rb_ie wrote:
    In fairness, he's a little past going bald...

but he obviously doesn't care. And that's the sexy part.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,433 ✭✭✭kittenkiller

tbh wrote:
    but he obviously doesn't care. And that's the sexy part.
    Exactly!

Embrace it man!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,145 ✭✭✭DonkeyStyle \o/

He'd be able to do one hell of a comb-over with that much hair.

Maybe it's the fact that Devin doesn't try to hide the bald, he goes with it. Probably helps that he's an absolute ****ing legend though.

Anyway, there you have it op, being bald ain't bad, and you can still be seen as damned sexy. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

I have a full head of thick hair :(

Costs me a lot of razor blades staying bald.

Talliesin wrote:
    I have a full head of thick hair :(

Costs me a lot of razor blades staying bald.

Long hair is the answer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭keynesian

:cool: my thoughts exactly:cool:

Advertisement