Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic Insurance small print

Options
  • 08-11-2006 2:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

Hi Guys,
    Was just having a look at my policy documents (I'm with carole nash) last night and discovered that my fully comp policy

1. Only covers the car for theft if it's stolen from my garage between 10pm and 6am. So when I'm at work and not in a position to protect my car some scumbag can steal it and i get nothing, but at night when I'm at home and the car is theoretically less vulnerable by my presence they'll pay out? Doesn't make sense.

and more worryingly

2. That the 3rd party cover only applies to people between the ages of 17 and 65!!

Can this be right? Say, God forbid, i have an accident where I run into a queue at a bus stop plowing down all and sundry. Does this mean that the school kids and pensioners will sue the life out of me and everyone else will be taken care of by the insurance?
    I'm now very wary of taking the car out for a spin and I certainly won't be driving past any schools, old folks homes and I'll be giving the post office a wide berth on pension day.
    Keep well.
    Torq

P.S. Seriously though, I find the lack of cover alarming!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Torq wrote:
    2. That the 3rd party cover only applies to people between the ages of 17 and 65!!

i presume this is a reference to the insured persons age, not the age of the third party.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Torq wrote:

I assume that this refers to the age of the person driving the insured vehicle.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Torq wrote:
    1. Only covers the car for theft if it's stolen from my garage between 10pm and 6am. So when I'm at work and not in a position to protect my car some scumbag can steal it and i get nothing, but at night when I'm at home and the car is theoretically less vulnerable by my presence they'll pay out? Doesn't make sense.
    AND being a classic policy the car is supposed to be a 'second' car meaning that it's expected to be sitting at home during the day!

You're right - that is daft.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭1275gt

Torq wrote:

jesus H christ, thats absolutely DAFT! have you rang them to query this? that is absolutely unbelievable!!! id try and clarify this and if its definetly the case - i would flood every forum in the country with the info you've mentioned, its a disgrace (im with FBD and will be checking my policy details later)

:mad::mad::mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Have the document in my hand.

Endorsement Number 10 - Personal Accident
    We will pay.....blah blah
    If the injury results in ..... Blah blah.
    What is not covered
    Death or Injury to any person under 17 or over 65 years of age is not included.
    Death or Injury outside the Republic of Ireland is not included.

So not only can I not run over school children or pensioners but no one is safe if I travel up north!

Keep well (and well out of my way!!)
    Torq

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 449 ✭✭camarobill

i just looked up the poilcy that i have on the corvette,and your correct,il be on the phone to them tomoro,i have fully comp,and the small print has everything on it that you have stated,what a joke:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Thats boggling and makes the insurance effectively worthless.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Eric318

This is ridiculous. What is the name of that company so we can avoid wasting time with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Torq

Eric318 wrote:
    This is ridiculous. What is the name of that company so we can avoid wasting time with them?

Carole Nash

Maybe this is worthy of a sticky topic for small print?

I've just checked my classic bike policies and there doesn't seem to be any similar clauses there.

Keep well,
    Torq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭mustang68

Thats not very good, we would be personally liable then :( as in bankrupt if we the worst happened and we hit someone <17 >65

I'll have a look at my axa concourse policy tonight. In the meantime, post whatever you find here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭green-blood

this is why I am paying 80 quid more for AXA

Carole Nash do not do what it says on the tin. no garage = 3rd part only, not fire or theft.... bollix to that

their policy really is not worth a lot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

This is all quite amazing and it shows how it pays to read the small print.

I read an article recently about how biker-granny Carole is selling up her wonderful insurance company for something like £70m. I dread to think about what her household, travel and commercial insurance actually covers...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Nice one - I'm with AXA too so I can run over pensioners right? ;)
    el tel wrote:
    I dread to think about what her household, travel and commercial insurance actually covers...
    Their holiday insurance probably doesn't cover you outside of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Carole Nash do not do what it says on the tin. no garage = 3rd part only, not fire or theft.... bollix to that

their policy really is not worth a lot

Agreed.
    CN can get you out of a spot when you need insurance in a hurry (UK plates etc.)
    but the policy is very poor when compared to AXA.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

anyone got the IVI policy able to check for simillar terms and conditions?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭atlantean

JustinOval wrote:
    CN can get you out of a spot when you need insurance in a hurry (UK plates etc.)
    but the policy is very poor when compared to AXA.
    I am with Carole Nash just for this very reason. I needed insurance at last minute to fetch the car and it was on UK plates. Only when I got it did I realise about the garage bit!

I am with AXA for my Vectra - think I will be looking at them for my Manta after reading this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

i think that 3rd party insurance is a legal obligation so i cant see how this can be right UNLESS they are expecting you to claim under your main car's insurance somehow......odd, but i know that a lot of these policies have clauses that make it look as if they wont pay anything under any circumsatnces...keep us posted! (im now with AXA too....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I'm now insured through First Ireland and must check the small print but I specifically made sure that teh car didn't have to be in a garage to be covered against theft.

As I posted on the main insurance thread I had a very nasty experience when I tried to claim against CN for damage to a 67 Merc - it took them 6 months before they accepted that if I am fully comp and a door is damaged beyond repair then they need to pay to fix it...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 g_land

does anyone know if this applys to the hibernian classic policy

George

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Itsfixed

I'm now insured through First Ireland and must check the small print but I specifically made sure that teh car didn't have to be in a garage to be covered against theft.

As I posted on the main insurance thread I had a very nasty experience when I tried to claim against CN for damage to a 67 Merc - it took them 6 months before they accepted that if I am fully comp and a door is damaged beyond repair then they need to pay to fix it...

Being very lazy here - I'm with first ireland too, did you see anything worrying?

Tbh I don't think the FI classic car policies (or at least mine) are comparable with Carole nash, AXA or FBD because its actually a proper no-claims bonus type of policy. ie I don't have to have a second, modern car. Mileage limit is 10,000 a year and I'm insured to drive other cars. I pay a good couple of hundred quid more than the other policies for this reason.

• Advertisement
Advertisement