Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tCN = Recycle Bin

Options
  • 02-11-2006 6:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭

Hi, first time complaint here on the boards.

The is about The Sys forum, "The Cuckoo's Nest". I have only been casually posting there for about two months. But in my time there I have seen wrongful (in my opinion, and I can only guess the opinions of others) thread moves that are placed into the Cuckoo's Nest (tCN). An example I was able to dig up was this one...

do you like America
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993485

This maker of this thread had a poll of how much you hated America. It was an awful thread, with no real point. I know at tCN we post threads that are pointless, but this has nothing to do with the forum. Its a rant on how America is hated. If it doesn't suit the forum it was originally posted in, then it shouldn't have been posted at tCN. It should have been binned rather than moved to tCN to be honest.

The thread that gave me the will to post this thread was a more recent thread...

Bebo in the news AGAIN
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055010010

A rant about how bad Bebo is etc. Is this tCN material?

In conclusion, I just want to see smarter thread moved, as opposed to shifting it off to The Cuckoo's Nest. Comments please...
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

I propose this thread be moved to The Cuckoos nest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 954 ✭✭✭DarthWraak

petes wrote:
    I propose this thread be moved to The Cuckoos nest.

lol :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I want every thread in TCN, so I can have my way with them.

Wow, I was expecting to get to at least page 2 when the seriousness of this thread faded away. Alas, if teh cuckloooos nest gets mentioned anywhere, we all go a bit crazy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

TCN seems often as in the case of the first thread you posted to be where a mod with a personal bias will throw something that they disagree with as a dig to the OP. It was done on me once in politics where as a dig a post was moved to conspiracy theories to suit a personal bias.
    It happens.

• Advertisement

Good point made there. But why does tCN have to suffer because of it. Maybe a new Sys forum called, mmmh, "Off Topic Threads" forum??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

good point DW, tcn is always having stuff moved into it, its stupid i thought that was what the thunderdome was for, or as DW already said make a different forum for them, but stop polluting our beloved Tcn!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,350 ✭✭✭Lust4Life

Very good point.
    These threads start in After Hours.
    We have read them in After Hours. (Yes, we actually DO surf the other forums as well!:eek: ) We read them, and either post a comment or say "Meh - someone's trying to up their post count." and move on.

Then it gets moved to tCN - our opinion is they get shifted to tCN because these threads have already died a horrible death in AH and no one really has no further comments to add. Not even funny ones!

Why stink up the nest with dead threads? Please, please PLEASE Put them in the recycle bin where they belong. Nobody likes to get in an elevator just after someone's dropped a stink bomb. tCN is our elevator. Let us do the farting. Okay?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,090 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Karoma just moved another one, a perfectly good thread, when will this madness end!?!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Karoma just moved another one, a perfectly good thread, when will this madness end!?!
    Beware of the winter sunshine robbers/muggers

I'm odd like that.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Most of you are too new to realize that tcn was actually created to be a dumping ground.

It's the place for pointless threads.

The recycle bin is for spam, the thunderdome is for abuse.

Everthing changes, bar you looking like Justin Timberlake.

tCN = Recycle Bin, but one in which you lusers can post replies to and put your spin on the thread. Recycle Bin = unamusing spam (or a simple lock and let it die).
    Don't like the threads? Ignore them and they go away. Or ask/let amp bin them... if only there was some way of doing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

DarthWraak wrote:
    Hi, first time complaint here on the boards.

The is about The Sys forum, "The Cuckoo's Nest". I have only been casually posting there for about two months. But in my time there I have seen wrongful (in my opinion, and I can only guess the opinions of others) thread moves that are placed into the Cuckoo's Nest (tCN). An example I was able to dig up was this one...

do you like America
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054993485

This maker of this thread had a poll of how much you hated America. It was an awful thread, with no real point. I know at tCN we post threads that are pointless, but this has nothing to do with the forum. Its a rant on how America is hated. If it doesn't suit the forum it was originally posted in, then it shouldn't have been posted at tCN. It should have been binned rather than moved to tCN to be honest.

The thread that gave me the will to post this thread was a more recent thread...

Bebo in the news AGAIN
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055010010

A rant about how bad Bebo is etc. Is this tCN material?

In conclusion, I just want to see smarter thread moved, as opposed to shifting it off to The Cuckoo's Nest. Comments please...

amp originally requested that bebo threads be moved to TCN, rather than be deleted.

and i occassionally move threads by CSG, just becuase i dont like her.

so there you go!

and hey, not everything is not about what you want or like either. but well done for not making a complaint until you reached the dizzy heights of 300 posts....

but well done for not making a complaint until you reached the dizzy heights of 300 posts....

So what, when I get 10,000+ posts I'm allowed to make a complaint. Was that supposed to be an insult? Pfft tbh...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

DarthWraak wrote:
    So what, when I get 10,000+ posts I'm allowed to make a complaint. Was that supposed to be an insult? Pfft tbh...
    Ah, you will get used to WWM soon enough :D

TCN was created to as a place for post count++ threads and threads that go way off topic. There was a stage when AH was full of all kids of crap, not as bad now.
    Off topic threads are a pain in the ass when the OP is after a some what proper discussion.

AH well never really have the seriousness of Politic or Humanities but the new wave of mods are trying to calm the place down a little I think. Good idea or bad idea, I'm not sure yet.

K and Ruu have a pretty straight no bull**** rule when it comes to this. Forget about the wrath of Monty, the tag team action of those two is worse ;)

Thanks for putting it down in black and white for me. I just get a bit baffled when a thread about how much we hate America pops up in tCN. I was under the impression that tCN was for forum games and such only.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,314 ✭✭✭Talliesin

Nope. The history is as such:

Lots of crappy threads where getting deleted or moved to the recycle bin. However some threads, while admittedly crappy, had some humour value. Some clearly crappy threads became quite funny while also rapidly moving more and more off topic.

So The Cuckoo's Nest was created as a variant on the Recycle Bin where people could still post and enjoy the sheer self-indulgent lunacy of their crapness.

Some people enjoyed the crapness quite a lot and would be deliberately off-topic in their own ways in a Dadaesque revelry. Sometimes even going so far as to actually create new threads in TCN.

Some of them then created the private forum LUBNiP dedicated to such Dadaism.

More people came along and saw some nonsense. Sometimes they get it soon enough and join in the Dadaism. Sometimes they get it, sometimes they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Yes off-topic posting is the life blood of the tCN! Also agreed that some threads from AH that go off topic are funny but not all, and they don't all make good tCN material. Oh and WWm please remove your head from your anal sphincter, some of us have better things to be doing than posting everywhere and anywhere to increase our post counts. Some of us post for the fun of it!

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

The Cuckoo's Nest was created for surrealism and Mod's should move threads there when they get surreal/funny, not as an alternative to the Recycle bin.

DeV.

• Advertisement

Bah! It's just a different circle of hell.
    I likened it to the Recycle Bin as it is a 'dumping ground' and for 'spam'. Albeit, only for amusing/surreal spam that should conceivably be added to. I defy you to show me a thread which was moved to tCN by me that wasn't justified.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

there's little point for the recycle bin now however, with the advent of soft delete. tbh takes me longer to move to RB than to delete, so why would I be arsed?

DeVore wrote:
    The Cuckoo's Nest was created for surrealism and Mod's should move threads there when they get surreal/funny, not as an alternative to the Recycle bin.

DeV.

you might want to pass that info onto the mods of the forum itself.
    i mean, they have expressed certain opinions that fly in the face of what you have just said, and since they have a lot more input into the forum than you do, im probably going to go with their opinion.

perhaps the admins should start putting up a 300 point plan on what to do with threads, how to guage how funny something is (you could make up a seperate 'humour value indicator' matrix for the very purpose), what constitutes a 'valuable contribution' to a forum, and what is essentially rubbish.

however, since its all pretty subjective, why dont you just mod all the forums yourself?
    Darthwraak wrote:

no, you get to know in the first place why something happens, and you dont make an arse of yourself by going and and complaining about it, when a simple question to the mods of the forum would have got you a difinitive answer immediately.

pfft tbh.

jules80 wrote:
    Yes off-topic posting is the life blood of the tCN! Also agreed that some threads from AH that go off topic are funny but not all, and they don't all make good tCN material. Oh and WWm please remove your head from your anal sphincter, some of us have better things to be doing than posting everywhere and anywhere to increase our post counts. Some of us post for the fun of it!

oh dear, some random tard with a numbers in their name insulted me. oh, ban ban ban etc etc yawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

I dont think WWM realises that post count doesnt increment in tCN hence the small post counts by all the tCNers.

But in all seriousness I think there is far too much crap being dumped in tCN, for example the "Bebo in the news again" thread, some off topic posting doesnt make it tCN material. Though some are fairly justified, "beware of winter sunshine robbers" :D

I dont think WWM realises that post count doesnt increment in tCN hence the small post counts by all the tCNers.

im fully aware that post count doesnt go in tcn.
    i fail to see why you would think that i dont to be honest.

or are you trying to intimate that people on tcn only post on tcn and not anywhere else?

in which case, i would have thought that people who post in tcn would know why things happen in tcn?

or maybe they have been there a long time and are just stupid?

i dont know, you tell me?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Thats a very tCN inspired post, you should think of coming to the dark side...

Ban him Amp :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

There's a lot of people who claim to know why the tCN was created, but the only person who actually knows and who's opinion is right is DeVore. Why?, because he created it. Any body who claims differently is simply vocalising anally.

I did object a while ago to threads being dumped in tCN by moderators who assumed that the forum they moved it from was somehow superior to the tCN. These moderators need a reality check. After Hours is not superior to tCN. Humanities is not superior to tCN. And tCN while it is one of my favourite forums is not superior to any other forum. It is different.

I base my moderating style in tCN on a couple of factors:
    • As close as possible to the original reason DeVore created it
    • Something Awful's FYAD
    • The place I started on the INTERWEB - alt.stupidity
    • Various chemicals
    • Cake
    • As the center for the fight against Chuck Norris
    • More cake
    • As a place to try out different moderating techniques

My original objections about moving threads are now obsolete. I feared that threads moved there would kill any emerging community that was developing. It is quite clear now that there is a vibrant and healthy tCN community and as such moving threads there will allow that community to convert those threads into tCN standard threads.

There are many people posting in this thread that are ignorant. I'm not saying that in order to troll people like Wwman is trying to do. I'm saying it because it's plainly true.

So send us threads you feel demean the forums you moderate. Once in a while I may send them back if I feel they demean tCN but most of the time we will have fun with them all the while laughing at those that think the tCN is full of crap.

Lastly a warning. If any moderator goes nuts and decides to flood tCN with moved threads. I will send each and everyone back and will declare a jihad on that particular forum. My loyal tCN troops will be sent in, they will create anarchy and you will suddenly find yourself having to moderate by the minute.

So next time you decide that a thread is not worthy of the forum you mod ask yourself: Do I really want to fúck with the tCN?

Glory to the tCN! Death to the infidel!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Most of you are too new to realize that tcn was actually created to be a dumping ground.

Wrong
    tCN = Recycle Bin, but one in which you lusers can post replies to and put your spin on the thread.

Wrong
    So The Cuckoo's Nest was created as a variant on the Recycle Bin where people could still post and enjoy the sheer self-indulgent lunacy of their crapness.

Wrong

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

amp wrote:
    My loyal tCN troops will be sent in, they will create anarchy and you will suddenly find yourself having to moderate by the minute.

Loyalty until death!

Well at least I brought this issue forward, and made it more aware of. <3 tCN, and didn't like seeing it being home to moved random threads. However, I understand now the reason why tCN was built, and I thank you. But even I understand that tCN has evolved since then.

Advertisement