Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Request from Prime Time, RTE TV

Options
  • 23-10-2006 2:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

To Whom It May Concern:

My name is Ken O’Shea and I am a reporter with Prime Time, RTE’s Current Affairs TV programme. I am making a pre-recorded package for tomorrow night’s show (Tuesday 24th) on road safety.
    As you are no doubt aware, there is an ongoing debate on introducing severe restrictions on young drivers, in light of the ongoing road fatalities situation.
    The Govt, opposition politicians, Gardai, road safety bodies, and members of the public all seem to be in agreement that there should be a crackdown on young drivers – particularly those who have an interest in modified/tuned-up cars.
    Amongst the measures are speed limiters/restrictions on the types of cars young drivers could be licensed for etc.
    I think it is vital to include some voices of the people who would be directly affected by such measures – young drivers and those with an interest in modified cars.
    However, finding such people in a short time frame is not an easy task.
    Basically, I am writing to anybody I can find on the Net who seems to have an interest in this area to see if you could help me with any of the following:

• would you and/or your friends be prepared to talk to Prime Time about the realities of being a young driver and your view on the best way to cut road deaths?
    • Do you know of anybody who might be interested in talking to us?
    • Do you know of any clubs/societies which might have a representative who would be willing to talk to us on this subject?
    • Do you know of any other message boards where I could contact people on this issue?
    • Do you have any recommendations on who I should talk to on this subject?

Please forgive the somewhat scattergun approach of writing to you like this but in the past when we have covered this story we have had loads of input from the various ‘suits’ and politicians but we have yet to hear the voices of the people really affected by this and I am determined to avoid that unsatisfactory situation this time around.
    As it is for tomorrow night’s show, time is of the essence here. So if you can offer me any help, it would be very much appreciated.
    I realise that there are issues surrounding the Internet in terms of being 100% sure of who you are talking to so you can contact me in the ways listed below, to confirm who I am.

Ken O’Shea.
    Reporter
    Prime Time

RTE Main number: 2083111. (Ask for Ken O’Shea in Prime Time.)
    Desk phone: 01-2083157, Mobile: 087-9874966. Email: osheak@rte.ie

You can also log onto the Prime Time area on www.rte.ie/primetime and if you look in the archive section you will see that I did a report on Iraq for last Thursday’s show.
    Thanks for taking the time to read this and any help you could offer me would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Hi Ken,

I can help you out with the modded car end anyway. I would suggest a group http://www.manic-motorz.com/ who try to work with the gardai and TD's for events. I have met a few members once or twice and they are nice chaps.

Unfortunately I have just hit that 25 year old marker that elevates me above the 'young driver' status. I'll try to get a few more organizations that may be interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 KenOShea

layke wrote:
    Hi Ken,

I can help you out with the modded car end anyway. I would suggest a group http://www.manic-motorz.com/ who try to work with the gardai and TD's for events. I have met a few members once or twice and they are nice chaps.

Unfortunately I have just hit that 25 year old marker that elevates me above the 'young driver' status. I'll try to get a few more organizations that may be interested.

Excellent.
    Thanks for the help.
    Ken O'Shea.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

The lads on Manic would be happy to help you out!!

EireAl on here is a member there, he is the only that tries organising meets and venues with TD's and the gardai, he goes by the name of Algreene on Manic Motorz.

jonny24ie wrote:
    The lads on Manic would be happy to help you out!!

EireAl on here is a member there, he is the only that tries organising meets and venues with TD's and the gardai, he goes by the name of Algreene on Manic Motorz.

Thanks for that.
    I'll drop him a mail.
    If anybody has a contact for him could they drop him a text and tell him that I am lookingt for him?
    Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭PsychoSue

Hay Ken,

Just sent Al a text 2 let him know your looking for him!!!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

PsychoSue wrote:
    Hay Ken,

Just sent Al a text 2 let him know your looking for him!!!

Sue your a star, I couldn't find his number!! Al would be the best man for the job here me thinks!!

Great.
    Thanks for the help lads.
    Looks like I should be sorted out alright.
    Ken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Looks like my diligent work on the other foums was'nt needed! :(;)

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Mike, not to worry you get an A for effort.

Can some one record this please?

I have a TV card in my PC and could record it but i'm in College tomorrow evening :(

• Registered Users Posts: 18 downey

there are some opinions here that might interest you!

http://www.racershaven.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22216

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

layke, you'll be able to watch Prime Time on-line via the RTE website from late
    Tuesday or early Wednesday.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

None of the cars in them horrific crashes over the weekend were modified cars and its very few modified cars that are in these crashes so why afre they being used as a scapegoat.

The monaghan crash were 2 golfs, both standard but the crash happened at 2:30am. No need to guess what happened there. If they`d clamp down on drink drivers and sort out a proper driving test system it might actually do something.

All this talk and blame of modified cars is a joke. Theres some amount of girls on provisionals these days that cant drive to save their lives(no pun intended) and they`re getting insured for little or nothing on provisionals.

If that rte primetime lad makes modified cars look like the real culprit in this farce then expect to see no change in road deaths as this is not the main issue that needs tackling. The government is whinging about 3/400 deaths(pretty reasonable in my opinion with a population of 5million) but still do not have a proper test in place so what do they expect of drivers?? This affects ALL drivers, not just males under 25 who are going to be made the scpegoat yet again judging by that PM Ken oShea or whatever his name is, sent Mike65.

---Ive since found out the monaghan crash victims/dopes were playing chicken with each other and both cars were owned by the same lad. But primetime will probably not mention this and allow the viewers believe it was a genuine crash just for its ratings :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

Nuttzy, fact is that the 25 and under is most at risk, and most people reckon that the modfied car kids seem to drive harder than anyone else. So it's reasonable enough. Also, any young fella in a car with alloys is a modfied car driver/boy racer to the general public too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭louie

Paparazzo wrote:
    ..... Also, any young fella in a car with alloys is a modfied car driver/boy racer to the general public too.
    Ain't that stupid? Because one or two incidents, people are brushing everyone with the same brush.
    Some "young" drivers do love their cars, probably for the reason that they have nothing else to do with the money (don't drink, smoke, etc) and lets be honest we all did it at one time.
    It's like fashion, but you don't hear anybody complaining about the supped girls (half naked) walking on the streets putting themselves in danger.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,438 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

louie wrote:
    It's like fashion, but you don't hear anybody complaining about the supped girls (half naked) walking on the streets putting themselves in danger.

It seems to be the lads in cars that are actually getting killed. not girls walking the street. the facts are there.

(off topic but...) Not all modified car drivers drive fast, but the kind of person who enjoys driving fast will generally drive the most appropriate car they can afford, if a high performance car is uninsurable, they stick a set of big wheels and some stickers on a mundane family hatch . I don't think it's lads in Skylines and Glanzas that cause the problem, more lads in underpowered cars convincing themselves or others that they can go fast.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,227 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Nuttzy wrote:
    The government is whinging about 3/400 deaths(pretty reasonable in my opinion with a population of 5million)

My girlfriend of nearly 3 years was the innocent victim along with her brother in a crash coming home from oxygen this year. Since then her family's life and mine have been completely shattered.

Whats "reasonable" about that nuttzy?

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

KenOShea wrote:
    I am making a pre-recorded package for tomorrow night’s show (Tuesday 24th) on road safety.
    Crap! Im after posting on the motors forum that it is on tonight - am I wrong?
    KenOShea wrote:
    You can also log onto the Prime Time area on www.rte.ie/primetime and if you look in the archive section you will see that I did a report on Iraq for last Thursday’s show.
    wrong link - try www.rte.ie/news/primetime.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kbannon wrote:
    Crap! Im after posting on the motors forum that it is on tonight - am I wrong?
    wrong link - try www.rte.ie/news/primetime.html

Read his original date...... This was on last October!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

lol @ kbannon :):)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Lollers all round :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,348 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

testicle wrote:
    Read his original date...... This was on last October!
    doh.jpg

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Eh, i just saw a promo and it is on tonight at 9:30.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭Skyuser

I see modified motors magazine gave an interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭passarellaie

louie wrote: »
    Paparazzo wrote:
    ..... Also, any young fella in a car with alloys is a modfied car driver/boy racer to the general public too.
    Ain't that stupid? Because one or two incidents, people are brushing everyone with the same brush.
    Some "young" drivers do love their cars, probably for the reason that they have nothing else to do with the money (don't drink, smoke, etc) and lets be honest we all did it at one time.

Mr O Shea the one who has cost the Irish taxpayer over 1 million euro over his hatred of the Catholc church tell us why you Kavenagh and Parceir havent resigned over your disgraceful savage attack on Fr.Reynolds.Stand up and have the balls to tell us Ken or have RTEs anti Catholic propaganda team sent you all to Communist China for a while or maybe North Korea youd like it there they dont allow Catholics in Pyongyang

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Don't bump 4 year old threads

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement