Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two Gardai face sack for drunken fight (while on duty)

Options
  • 10-10-2006 10:13am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭

UTV wrote:
    Two Irish policemen face being kicked off the force after a damning internal inquiry found they got drunk on duty and fought while on armed protection at the United States Embassy in Dublin.

The men, who between them have 35 years service with An Garda Siochana, were armed with handguns when they started drinking during a 12-hour shift outside the Embassy.

One of the officers was later caught drink driving after leaving his post early.

It is understood the results of the internal inquiry have been sent to Garda Commissioner Noel Conroy recommending that both men either resign or be sacked.

Although in the uniformed branch of the force the two gardai were transferred temporarily into the plain clothes division to man the security post at the Embassy in the leafy suburb of Ballsbridge in the south side the city.

Carrying standard Smith and Wesson guns, they began a 12-hour shift along with a uniformed officer at the front gates of the compound.

The officers began drinking heavily in a nearby pub during a break and remained until the early hours of the morning.

A fight broke out over whose round it was and the pair were separated before returning to their post where they continued to row in front of civilian security and US marines who were on duty inside the compound.

At around 5am one of the men decided to leave his position and go home - two hours before his shift ended - and handed his weapon over to the uniform guard on duty.

As he drove home he was stopped at Ballymum, on the north side of the city, around 20 minutes later.
    He has since been convicted of drink driving.

The firearm was returned to his garda station by the colleague when the shift ended at 7am.

The two gardai, who were based at a south central city station, were suspended from the force following the incident in June 2005.

Abandoning a post, drinking on duty and brawling in public are all serious offences in the garda discipline code.

They faced numerous breaches of discipline and have been found guilty on each count.

The men and Commissioner Conroy have 15 days to make a final decision, which can be appealed.

Following the incident, the Department of Justice apologised to the American Ambassador to Ireland for the serious security breach at what is regarded as the city`s most high-risk target for foreign terrorist attack.
    http://u.tv/newsroom/indepth.asp?id=77215&pt=n

Professional boys you got there...
    :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

The mind boogles. Not so much at the brawling, but the fact that two gardai left their post, armed, to go to a pub and stayed there?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭robz150

Ah the Guards an example to us all!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,563 ✭✭✭connundrum

Fair play to them I say, I don't think the cops do enough drinking on the job.

This will surely show all those who are opposed to an armed police force.. they can be trusted!! Feckin nervous people :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 651 ✭✭✭CLADA

sinecurea wrote:
    Professional boys you got there...
    :)

mmmm:rolleyes: and where was it recently that a female officer entered a police station and shot one of her male colleagues?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 360 ✭✭dave101

could and WOULD only happen in the emrald isle lads .

http://inkharkov.com/img/e372_221.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

CLADA wrote:
    mmmm:rolleyes: and where was it recently that a female officer entered a police station and shot one of her male colleagues?
    That's because women are stupid, not police officers. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭Noelie

Typical cops fighting over who's round it was, both to mean to buy the next

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

Reminds me of something chief wiggum would do, can just see the muppets trying to clean the wax out of their ears with the barrel of their gun! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭\m/_(>_<)_\m/

where are all the garda on here to defend this... normally they are out like flys around pig s#it,

sinecurea wrote:
    That's because women are stupid, not police officers. :)

:eek: Straight talking sinecurea, I think i'll sit back and watch how the fairer sex react to that one.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

check your nearest dunkin doughnuts.... :D

where are all the garda on here to defend this... normally they are out like flys around pig s#it,

You can't defend the indefensible, and i'm sure any garda you talk to won't be too sorry to see these two muppets sacked. keep it in mind that the guards themselves dealt with one of these individuals immediately by catching him on the way home for drink driving.

CLADA wrote:
    You can't defend the indefensible,

when has that ever stopped them defending something...

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

What are the odds that if sacked, they'll keep all pension entitlements amassed?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Robbo wrote:
    What are the odds that if sacked, they'll keep all pension entitlements amassed?

I'd normally expect something like that but the fact that it was outside the american embassy will stand against them.

CLADA wrote:
    keep it in mind that the guards themselves dealt with one of these individuals immediately by catching him on the way home for drink driving.

"Now John, I'll have ta give ya these few points and a bit of an aul fine for that. Ya just can't be drivin round nilly willy with a few pints on board, sure ya know yourself! Right well I have it all here now, you take it easy goin home right, I don't want ta have ta be pullin you over again right! Sound as a pound John!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Haha "Ah lads, now ya can't be doin' that."

connundrum wrote:
    "Now John, I'll have ta give ya these few points and a bit of an aul fine for that. Ya just can't be drivin round nilly willy with a few pints on board, sure ya know yourself! Right well I have it all here now, you take it easy goin home right, I don't want ta have ta be pullin you over again right! Sound as a pound John!"

Well according to media reports he has already been convicted and is currently disqualified from driving

Robbo wrote:

I think in order to keep your pension you have to try to retire before the sack arrives if you have reached retirement age.
    remember the hassle over the senior officers jumping with their pension before they were pushed without it after the barr report.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Just plain ridiculous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

i like the way the bould Noel might ask them to...gasp..resign. Oooh that will set an example. Wonder if that means they loose the ould pension.

But fair play to the ballymun gardai for joining that select band of coppers who have actually arrested another cop for drink driving instead of waving them cheerily on their way :)

CLADA wrote:
    Well according to media reports he has already been convicted and is currently disqualified from driving

Thanks for clearing that up ted ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Were their names Eddie and Lou?:) Ah they didn't want to show any weakness in front of the Americans.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

I'd say from the recent reports about how the Gardai are operating there is severe pressure for a reform and some examples have to be made.

A few years back they would have gotten off it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Ruu wrote:
    Were their names Eddie and Lou?:) Ah they didn't want to show any weakness in front of the Americans.

Lol.. Thats some good drinking boys :D

layke wrote:
    I'd say from the recent reports about how the Gardai are operating there is severe pressure for a reform and some examples have to be made.

A few years back they would have gotten off it.

they would of got away with it today, only the were acting the maggot outside the US embassy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

They are all at the shell to sea protest

connundrum wrote:

That's hilarious because it's true!:D
    Yeah the gardai are corrupt I know a good few barely fresh outta college and they are running riot all the time!

Sure my mates don’t be saying anything about a corrupt force when they are getting fine's removed, points and do background check's upon request!!!

We live in a whole "If you scratch my back I'll scratch yours" type of society

I think the actions of some of our politician's prove that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 822 ✭✭✭Kastro

sure they are a pack of wannkers anyways.. god only knows what crimes they have committed in the past and they are only after getting caught for this..

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,433 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Magnolia

they would of got away with it today, only the were acting the maggot outside the US embassy...

I was wondering about this myself.

Advertisement