Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's your favourite Star Trek movie?

Options
  • 06-10-2006 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭

OK trekkies and trekkers get voting for your fav Star Trek movie of all time!

I'll get the ball rolling by voting for my favourite: Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan because not only is it the best ST movie, in my opinion, but because its also a classic sci-fi movie for everyone.

What is your favourite Star Trek movie of all time? 41 votes

ST The Motion Picture
    0% 0 votes
    ST II The Wrath of Khan
    0% 0 votes
    ST III The Search for Spock
    34% 14 votes
    ST IV The Voyage Home
    2% 1 vote
    ST V The Final Frontier
    2% 1 vote
    ST VI The Undiscovered Country
    0% 0 votes
    ST VII Generations
    17% 7 votes
    ST VIII First Contact
    7% 3 votes
    ST IX Insurrection
    36% 15 votes
    ST X Nemesis
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

1, 2, 3, 6 and 8 are all good.

4's alright and the rest are fairly ****e.

I don't really want to pick a favourite... but... I'd probably have to say 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭egon spengler

For me 6 is the only genuinely well made film. And 8 perhaps. The rest are forgetable. I find a lot of the plots details defy logic as in they just make no sense whatsoever (Spocks "rebirth," the Genesis device, the Nexus).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I like all of the TOS movies except 5 (but even that has one great scene with McCoy). All of the TNG movies (even 8) are rubbish.

Wrath of Khan is the best overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,801 ✭✭✭✭Kojak

Definatly the Wrath of Khan is the best Trek film, IMO.

Pigman II wrote:
    I like all of the TOS movies except 5 (but even that has one great scene with McCoy). All of the TNG movies (even 8) are rubbish.

Wrath of Khan is the best overall.

Mc Coy looks older than usual in 5, they solved it for 6 but in 5 he looks really old and a bit tired. 5 was a bit of a pisstake tbh, they go on this long quest to find god, god turns out to be an alien looking to hitch a ride, one of the ultimate let downs in movie history and very mickey mouse imo for that, but funny in an odd way.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

WOK ftw !

nemesis can go suck on some midget albino downsyndrome donky phallus !

Worst movie ever, And now paramount have gotten wrid of the director and his crew, brannon braga i think it was. good riddence is all i can say. And hooray for the next ST movie !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭J.R.HARTLEY

For me 6 is the only genuinely well made film. And 8 perhaps. The rest are forgetable.
    are you working too hard at the weekends busting ghosts or something egon TWOK was not forgettable, you mightn't have liked it but it is vastly superior to the others, the two you mentioned are the only two that come close.:eek:

anti wrote:
    Worst movie ever, And now paramount have gotten wrid of the director and his crew, brannon braga i think it was.
    Great to see Braga and crew finally getting the boot, the show/franchise could certainly do with some fresh ideas, but he didn't have much to do with Nemesis in fairness.

Nemesis was directed by Stuart Bard, a guy who hadn't much interest in or knowledge of Star Trek beforehand (he thought Geordi was an alien apparently). This is fairly apparent in the film itself I think, and judging by the cast and crew interviews on the DVD, seems to have been a major problem. That, and the story. And script. And editing. And basically everything really. The film sucked.

Nicholas Meyer, the guy who directed Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country was originally hired to direct but got the sack when he asked for a rewrite. In hindsight, they should have bloody well listened to him.

Goodshape wrote:
    Nicholas Meyer, the guy who directed Wrath of Khan and Undiscovered Country was originally hired to direct but got the sack when he asked for a rewrite. In hindsight, they should have bloody well listened to him.
    that was another famous example of bragas ego, he was always having digs at the old series instead of realising he wouldn't have a job without it, apparently roddenberry tore him a new one about some joke he tried to play on spock or scotty in the unification/crossover episode.
    i can't understand people who like one and hate the other. Star trek is a timeline Archer Kirk Picard Sisko Janeway(well i can understand hating voyager, i never warmed to it;) )
    all trek is good trek.

are you working too hard at the weekends busting ghosts or something egon TWOK was not forgettable, you mightn't have liked it but it is vastly superior to the others, the two you mentioned are the only two that come close.:eek:

See I thought TWOK was the best until I saw it again this summer and I felt it lacking in that it was a bit small scale and I just didnt really care whether Khan got killed by Kirk. It didnt have the complexity and depth of The Undiscovered Country, and First Contact was next gen with the borg, even if it was only ok, for those 2 reasons its way better than TWOK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Surion

Goodshape wrote:
    Great to see Braga and crew finally getting the boot, the show/franchise could certainly do with some fresh ideas, but he didn't have much to do with Nemesis in fairness.

Nemesis was directed by Stuart Bard, a guy who hadn't much interest in or knowledge of Star Trek beforehand (he thought Geordi was an alien apparently). This is fairly apparent in the film itself I think, and judging by the cast and crew interviews on the DVD, seems to have been a major problem. That, and the story. And script. And editing. And basically everything really. The film sucked.

Here Here - nemesis was SUCH an incredibly bad film. Star Trek 6 will never be surpassed - but they should at least try. And for god sakes, NEVER NEVER NEVER let jonathan frakes TOUCH star trek ever again!!! What about Levar Burton? His directed episodes are always 'effects' 'science' and good story!??!

i reckon you get a good director sit him down with the seven seasons and have him tell his ideas to producers then, if he's missed the point of trek pass on him, otherwise hire him, Nicholas meyer had never seen star trek when hired for twok (which is the best movie egon;)) he watched all episodes immediately, and got it, he understood trek which is why he's directed two great treks and written the script for contemporary San Francisco in Star Trek IV. if the director is just doing a job he'll never do it justice, Baird just wanted a paycheck and thought, "these nerds will lap up any old special effects drivel"
    Stuart Baird you plonker!

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭dan99989

I could watch ST:Undiscovered Country again and again...sheer class. Out of TNG movies, i'd have to say Generations or First Contact (Enterprise-E!).

Nemesis = the suck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

Undiscoverd country wass good

• Registered Users Posts: 28,724 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Hmm.. favorite Trek movie.

I - Does anyone EVER vote for this one?

II - Action, effects, cool new uniforms and KHAN :D Definitely up there.

III - Good follow-on. Plus we get the first look at the Excelsior - love the scene where they steal the Enterprise. Great music too!

IV - Fun, lighter film, but a bit disappointing as the end of the Genesis triology.

V - Awful, and they didn't even bother to change the Enterprise-D sets at all.

VI - Good storyline and a fitting farewell to the TOS cast. Plus more Excelsior!

VII - Not great. Would've made a poor 2-parter as well, and why the random uniform changes between "classic" (and better) TNG style and the (then new) DS9 look. Still, the Enterprise-D herself looked great.

VIII - or 'Best of Both Worlds III'.. The best of the TNG films really.

IX - Forgettable with another never-before-mentioned Villian Of The Week.

X - Terrible from start to finish.. and they ruined the Romulans.

Don't think I'd ever vote for it, but I like The Motion Picture (first one) a lot. They played it very straight, very serious, which I thought was good and sadly missing from the others (except to some degree 2 and 6).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 981 ✭✭✭tj-music.com

Star Trek VI followed by Star Trek II ...
    1. "Star Trek VI - The undiscovered country" - just the best
    2. "Star Trek II - The Wrath of Khan" - a really well acted film with all the ingredients that made the classic series work
    3. "Star Trek - Generations" - just great story and Data with feelings was superb
    4. "Star Trek VIII - First Contact" - another smash, me thinks
    5. "Star Trek IX - Resurrection" - could have been better but some of the scenes were brilliant
    6. "Star Trek IV - Voyage home" - typical 1980s flick in a way but also very critical and humourous
    7. "Star Trek III - The Search for Spock" - moderate follow up to ST II but bringing in the Klingons is always cool
    8. "Star Trek X - Nemesis" - not as god as I had hoped but not as bad as many say
    9. "Star Trek V - The final frontier" - not a bad story but very B-movie quality
    10. "Star Trek I" - Never liked it, lacked the original chemistry of the crew members and "Decker" was just an idiot

Just my two cents

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Steve_o

I loved first contact....i enjoyed the films based on the Next Gen. characters although Nemesis could've been a whole lot better!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 429 ✭✭Dontico

cant believe no had yet voted for the voyage home. come on people! they go back in time to save whales!

when is star trek 11 coming out?

Advertisement