Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggested Reading

Options
  • 04-10-2006 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭

I'm extremely new when it comes to Buddhism, so I'd like to know what the regulars here think are good books on Buddhism. I've been looking online for ebooks and I found the following address:

http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_g.htm

I'm just starting to read them now so I cannot comment on how valid they are. Has anyone read these ebooks before? Are there any ebooks or physical books you would recommend for me and others?

I'd like this thread to be a useful resource for people interested in learning more about Buddhism. Apologies if a thread like this exists already. I couldn't find one. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

I found the Dali Lama's Stages of Meditation very helpful.

It's short, concise and easy to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 426 ✭✭maitri

Hi! :)

Here are two of my absolute favourites. I feel that every time I take a look in these two small books I either learn something new or I am reminded of something important:

The Pocket Buddha Reader

About “The Pocket Buddha Reader” from the back of the book:

“Here is the core of the Buddha's teaching in his own words, as it was memorized word for word by his disciples and written down two hundred years after his death. These selections from the Buddhist scriptures deal with the search for truth, the way of contemplation, life and death, living in community, and many other topics, serving as an excellent introduction to the Buddha's teaching.”

And:

Awakening Loving-Kindness

About “Awakening Loving-Kindness” from a book review by Elizabeth Merz:

“There is much wisdom here in Pema Chodron's easy to read, easy to understand book, and it can be applied to anyone of any faith. I recommend Awakening Loving- Kindness to everyone!”

And “Joystjohn” says:

“A little gem of a book. I highly recommend it. I keep it in my sack with me most of the time even though I have read it twice through already. She really drives home the truth that trying to change yourself is aggression against yourself. I have found a lot of wisdom in this tiny tome(...)”

If you click on the links you’ll be able to search inside the book to see if it’s something for you, and if you scroll down there are several book reviews.

Good luck!

M.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Just started reading "My Land and My People", also by H.H. Dalai Lama.

About 50 pages in so far and I have a feeling I'm going to really enjoy this book. What a story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭scojones

That's so much guys. I'll be ordering these books tomorrow. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭Asiaprod

sjones wrote:
    That's so much guys. I'll be ordering these books tomorrow. :)
    Buddhism of the Sun by Dick Caustin deals with the mechanics such as the 10 worlds and a second book by him called Buddhism in Daily Life deals with the meditation prayer side of it.

Also, if you have not read it get 7 years in Tibet (the book of the movie) which is a great read about the early days of the Dalai Lama and his people.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭BreadBoard

I've just ordered two books;
    1. Ancient Wisdom, Modern World

Synopsis:
    The bestselling new book by the Dalai Lama, in which he calls for a spiritual revolution. With wit, insight and good sense he demonstrates that there are universal principles we can draw on which transcend the dilemma of belief and disbelief. In the first instance, he says, a spiritual revolution entails an ethical revolution, and whilst many are content to speak of spiritual matters as something mysterious or evanescent, the Dalai Lama explains his approach in terms that are as clear and concise as they are compelling.
    "All the qualities he proposes are achievable and are things we could practice daily by showing just a little extra thought for our fellow beings...Ancient Wisdom, Modern World is a clearly written and straightforward book which, I think, achieves its purpose of approaching ethics based on universal rather than religious principles." The Spectator.Read an extract of this title
    2. Teaching of Buddha (Hardcover)

Synopsis:

I have more than one copy of this book. It is well put together mechanically and very readable. If asked to put Buddhism into one book that a newbee could read this is it. I give this book as witness to the way for the curious. It is well written I have read it a couple times and pick it up to read just a few pages of it.
    It is ordered like a Christian bible in that it lists books then chapters sections and verses, i.e.; book "Dharma", chapter Two "The Theory of Mind-Only and The Real State of Things" section IV "the Middle Way", verse 2. ", The important thing in following the path to Enlightenment is to avoid being caught and entangled in any extreme, that is, always to follow the Middle Way." Now, not each sentence is give a number but small sections making it simple to find citations to share like this (Dharma chapter 2,IV.2)
    I have only seen it in hard back with ribbon book marks usually 2 I would love to have a leather covered copy if only some poor beast would not have to die to produce it.
    I have found "The Teaching of Buddha" to be true to volumes I have read of Buddhism and a reliable source of truth and inspiration.

I'm looking forward to reading these :) . Has anyone read either of them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭elivsvonchiaing

The Little book of Buddhism by the Dalai Lama is ideal for carrying with you everywhere. Ideal for dipping into if you are just curious ...even serious; just not into theravedism.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 irishtraveller1

Can be found by searching for Venerable Gyatso Kedampa buddhism in google

I just want to say cheers to everyone for their suggestions. I've purchased several of these books now and I'm currently reading them. I'll let you know how I get on and if I've any questions (I'm sure I'll have lots!) I'll post them here. :)

This looks like a good introduction to Zazen for beginners.

http://www.zenguide.com/zenmedia/books/chapters.cfm?t=zazen_meditation_guide

Enjoy. :)

• Advertisement

This one's also nice:

http://www.wildmind.org/meditation/metta/index.html
    sjones wrote:
    I just want to say cheers to everyone for their suggestions. I've purchased several of these books now and I'm currently reading them. I'll let you know how I get on and if I've any questions (I'm sure I'll have lots!) I'll post them here. :)

Feel free to post or start new threads if you have thoughts or questions to share. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 235 ✭✭kalkor

scojones wrote:
    I'm extremely new when it comes to Buddhism, so I'd like to know what the regulars here think are good books on Buddhism. I've been looking online for ebooks and I found the following address:

http://www.buddhanet.net/ebooks_g.htm

I'm just starting to read them now so I cannot comment on how valid they are. Has anyone read these ebooks before? Are there any ebooks or physical books you would recommend for me and others?

I'd like this thread to be a useful resource for people interested in learning more about Buddhism. Apologies if a thread like this exists already. I couldn't find one. :)
    greetings! the tibetan book of living and dying is thorough and in depth look at tibetan buddhism by a very high level master(rinpoche) and is possibly the closest thing to actually folowing an authentic teacher as it reads with a very personal feel . thanks

These two are very different, but I think they are both interesting:

Wanting Enlightenment is a Big Mistake (Zen)

Introduction to Tantra- by Lama-Yeshe (Tibetan tantra)

These days I work in a Tibetan Buddhist bookstore once a week and get to read a lot of books, since we don´t have too many customers. (But those we have tend to buy the books I am reading so I don´t get to finish them. Grr!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 1985

I just finished Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen. Its a fantastic book, but a wee bit hard (for me) to get my head around at first.

Im completely new to Buddhism so started off by reading a Teach Your Self Buddhism book to give me some basics, then started on this. Hagen strips all notions of religion, belief, ceremony and pomp from Buddhism and in a very direct manner address the core of Buddhism.

If your in anyway dubious of fantastical ideas/beliefs/religion in general its great. He really gets down to the bare bones basics of enlightenment, awareness and the eightfold path.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 Doctor Dee

Tibetan Buddhism from the ground up by Alan Wallace - fantastic intro to Tibetan Buddhism

Lessons of the lotus by Bhante Wimala - v nice

How to meditate - Kathleen McDonald excellent intro by western nun in tibetan tradition

Anything by the Dalai Lama but esp Awakening the Mind, Lightening the Heart

Hope this is useful

Doctor Dee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭beans

I found Alan Watts' books and transcripts invaluable as an introduction to Taoism and Zen

Specifically The Tao of Philosophy and Tao - The Watercourse Way

I found this quite interesting as well:

[URL="bhttp://www.amazon.com/Sacred-World-Shambhala-Gentleness-Bravery/dp/1570623619"]Sacred World[/URL]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Katie Mary

Try your local libraries. I have, and have read very good books by various authors. At the moment I'm reading "Why Buddhism?" by Vicki Mackenzie, where she interviews westerners who have become Buddhists. She also wrote "Cave in the Snow, about an Englishwoman who became a Budhhist and meditated in a cave for 12 years. Tenzin Palmo has now started a nunnery in India. Jack Kornfield is another good author.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭acri

Is there a difinitive piece of literature on the Dharma, or the teachings of Buddhism, that I could purchase?

My knowledge of Buddhism is limited, but I've been looking for the "Bible" of Buddhism for quite some time now, and I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of titles. The book is for my girlfriend, so I'd be mad grateful for any help. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭stomprockin

acri wrote: »
    Is there a difinitive piece of literature on the Dharma, or the teachings of Buddhism, that I could purchase?

My knowledge of Buddhism is limited, but I've been looking for the "Bible" of Buddhism for quite some time now, and I feel like I'm drowning in a sea of titles. The book is for my girlfriend, so I'd be mad grateful for any help. ;)

Hi acri. Here is a good website to download books on Buddhism
    i have read a lot true this website.its in thai but there is an good english section on it..
    hope you find it useful.

pat... www.luangta.com

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

acri wrote: »

You could try some of the pali canon
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pali_Canon
    It's eh... huge though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

I can't recommend Wanting Enlightenment is a Big Mistake enough. One of the clearest, simplest and most fun explanations of basic Zen/Buddhism ideas i've ever come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 monkfish

Wei Wu Wei is not orthodox, but he is refreshing. Best of all, his writings are online and free: http://www.weiwuwei.8k.com/

I find him relevant, as an Irish person in 2008. WMMV.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Hmmm. A few of the contributors to this thread are bant. :(

Breadboard mentioned:
    BreadBoard wrote: »
    2. Teaching of Buddha (Hardcover)

Synopsis:

I have more than one copy of this book. It is well put together mechanically and very readable. If asked to put Buddhism into one book that a newbee could read this is it. I give this book as witness to the way for the curious. It is well written I have read it a couple times and pick it up to read just a few pages of it.
    It is ordered like a Christian bible in that it lists books then chapters sections and verses, i.e.; book "Dharma", chapter Two "The Theory of Mind-Only and The Real State of Things" section IV "the Middle Way", verse 2. ", The important thing in following the path to Enlightenment is to avoid being caught and entangled in any extreme, that is, always to follow the Middle Way." Now, not each sentence is give a number but small sections making it simple to find citations to share like this (Dharma chapter 2,IV.2)
    I have only seen it in hard back with ribbon book marks usually 2 I would love to have a leather covered copy if only some poor beast would not have to die to produce it.
    I have found "The Teaching of Buddha" to be true to volumes I have read of Buddhism and a reliable source of truth and inspiration.

and it sounds very promising to me. Has anyone else read it?

edit:

This one looks good too....You can read a few pages of it on the amazon site which is nice....
    maitri wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Holyharry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Mervatron

some more books i've liked..

Alan Watts....genius....Ive read The Essential Alan Watts, which is a compilation of his philosophy and The Wisdom of Insecurity.

Ive also finished "Zen Wrapped In Karma Dipped In Chocolate" by Brad Warner, of the hardcore zen blog. He's a punk-rock guitarist-cum-zen-monk. Its a fantastic book...its about how a zen master deals with life when it all comes falling apart.

Currently reading "Everyday Zen" by Charlotte Joko Beck.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Akos01

Hi all, I think il order "introduction to tantra" and "ancient wisdom, modern world".

I posted in the atheism forum requesting some reading material
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055529875

If anyone could recommend something specific to these things im gibbering at this hour id be thankfull

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭bluefinger

1985 wrote: »
    I just finished Buddhism: Plain and Simple by Steve Hagen. Its a fantastic book, but a wee bit hard (for me) to get my head around at first.

Im completely new to Buddhism so started off by reading a Teach Your Self Buddhism book to give me some basics, then started on this. Hagen strips all notions of religion, belief, ceremony and pomp from Buddhism and in a very direct manner address the core of Buddhism.

If your in anyway dubious of fantastical ideas/beliefs/religion in general its great. He really gets down to the bare bones basics of enlightenment, awareness and the eightfold path.
    +1

I just read this a while ago. Very accessible and engaging read.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 luckyman11

My three favourite Buddhist books that I have read so far are:

"The Essence of Buddhism" by Traleg Kyabgon
    "How To Practice, The Way To a Meaningful Life" by H.H. Dali Lama
    "Buddhism Plain And Simple" by Steve Hagen

I found these three books to be very accessable and practicle and I would highly recommend these three to anyone interested in Buddhist teachings and their application in everyday life.

Advertisement