Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

2 porttaits for c & C

• 03-09-2006 11:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭

I would be interested in some feedback on these 2 shots if anyone wants to check them out - both taken yesterday and very simlilair processing (slight difference in the finishing).

Filing Nails I
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39203566/

Filing Nails II
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/39203675/

The crop, subject matter and pose etc are intended - more interested in what people think of the processing of them both.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭Sebzy

I usualy go for high contrast bw as in no 2 but I find myself liking the first one so much more. It's so warm.

In the first (brown) shot the tailing end of the belt looks out of place IMO it should be brushed out but thats just me.

Anyway love the shots. Great work.

Seb.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Some nice processing, the first one is nice, but the second one, I don't know...
    I find myself looking at it I guess searching for whats not there, but in a good way, would be very good in an advert it catches the eye and draws you in.
    I perfer the the expression of the model in no. 2 also - adds to the mystery.

How did you approach the PS work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

The processing started off in Digital Photo Professional (Canon Raw editor/convertor) - basically a few minor tweaks in there, then exported to jpeg and into photoshop - from there levels (usually this is better with a feathered selection but didnt have to with these 2), colour balance, saturation (possibly some exposure => gamma cant remember) - then through a conversion action called Thomas Neumann Tones - with that you can select from one of a bunch of preset converions. These dont suit every picture obviously but for some it is very very useful I find. The options are along the lines of sepia 1-3, Silver, Platinum, combination of all and so on. On the brown one it was sepia1 then some reduced saturation /colour balance and finished with low percentage (1o-ish)art history brush to bring it back a bit finally some burning with a huge brush and low percentage like 4% ish. On the b.w one it was most of the above with some differences finished with a LOT of burning, some dodging. Almost forgot some unsharp mask too.

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭CONMIKE12

I think when photographing people,it's the look,the expression that matters most.Something to indentify with,to cause a reaction when you look at it.And with that in mind,no. 2 is by a mile,the winner for me.Great shot Morlar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Had a quick look at them, and the first thing that jumps at me are those tights. More about that later.

I think they are both good shots. The model works for this one. The dark hair and dark clothes contrast fantastically with the (I assume) pale skin.

There's not too much C&C I'd can give as it appears that achieved what you set out to do. I personally am not a huge fan or the blur but I can see that it does work in this shoot. The high contrast is softened by the soft diffused glow you have created. This seems to be a style you like.

One small point I might make about filling nails 1 is that as her head is leaning to the right (her left) this makes the left side of the photo appear a little bit empty. Perhaps a slight crop in from the left, only a small bit might make it feel more balanced. In my opinion.

I love the idea in filling nails 2. This almost pure black + pure white shot, coupled with the soft glow works very well. Her legs crossed give a great sense of balance. Her gaze is great, it keep your eyes on hers. I find my eyes switching between hers and her legs. That's perfect because that means every time I look up and down, I'm essentially eyeing her up, I'm not ignoring any part of the image. It keeps the viewer looking.

Now back to her legs. Don't take this in a sleazy way, I'm sure you wont. With tights like those on, and what seem like a decent pair of legs. I'd have to get some macro shots. You know, like any part of her leg, where the there's contrasting lines, and the like. The kind of classic, classy shots you see. Maybe advertising a perfume or something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grafixchik/224054067/ - Kinda like that... kinda.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

As has been pointed out I think the blur works fairly well and the contrast is good. Nice work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

I think the second one is my favourite of your portraits. The pose is great, it's quite cheeky - she looks quite confident in front of the camera. As for the processing, I like how it works in the second one on the bottom half but I'd love to see a tiny bit more of a definition of her shoulders, it's a fairly harsh line where her arms go into nothingness there. I like the glow, too.

Thanks everyone for checking - Shrimp I probably will crop that side a bit when I get a chance. Also I did some close up ones but havent gotten to processing them yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭eas

very nice shots Morlar

the only thing i would change is the crop. I think both images would benefit from tightning in on the subject. Mostly top and left.

I think these would work great framed side by side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Morlar wrote:
    Thanks everyone for checking - Shrimp I probably will crop that side a bit when I get a chance. Also I did some close up ones but havent gotten to processing them yet.
    Good stuff, what do you shoot with again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭elven

Shrimp wrote:
    Now back to her legs. Don't take this in a sleazy way, I'm sure you wont. With tights like those on, and what seem like a decent pair of legs. I'd have to get some macro shots. You know, like any part of her leg, where the there's contrasting lines, and the like. The kind of classic, classy shots you see. Maybe advertising a perfume or something.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/grafixchik/224054067/ - Kinda like that... kinda.

Sorry Morlar don't want to hijack your thread - but I've been admiring my Mary-Janes (the shoes with a bar across the ankle) and thinking I'd love to do some shots with them and fishnets, just like that one shrimp posted there. You should see if you can set something like that up, too, if you're in the studio again. I think it'd work well with the post processing you use.

Incidentally, since I'm OT already, what colour were the model's shoes in those pictures? ;)

Hi Shrimp - it was a 20d with a borrowed L lens - Elven - the shoes the model was wearing were bright red - (to go with the lipstick and handband). I have a couple processed to bring that out - but not sure about those ones tbh. I also did some close ups of the stockings and some of Leather boots - but havent gotten through those ones yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 710 ✭✭✭Dundhoone

For my two cents i like the processing of 2 better, the black background works better with the pose. Did you get any with her looking....snotty....whats the word im looking for here....oh yeah....elite!! :D /bored/disinterested. I know thats drifting into nail filling cliche, but sure you went to all that effort!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Fantasy_Suicide

Hahaha, I cannot believe the reviews these shots have gotten!!! I'm the model by the way, and yes my tights rock!! Just gotta say Ger was amazing to work with and I couldn't of had a better time with him if I'd of decided to balance two lamps on my head and done a jig (donit ask, I'm in a weird mood!). I cannot WAIT to see the rest of the pics... Twill be deadly. And can't wait to do some more work with him VERY soon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,372 ✭✭✭The Bollox

the first one is very good, but the lighting on the shoes/legs is a bit too dull

Advertisement