Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Part time jobs

Options
  • 03-09-2006 1:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭

Well I'll soon be moving back to Dublin for college and need to start looking for the part time job. I don't really know where to start though. In the past I've got stuff from the SU Jobs mailing list but it's always been random promotions and I need something more regular. I don't really know where to look since all the jobs sites I see seem to be for full time work. I'm only wanting a couple of evenings a week or 8 hours at the weekend, and it has to fit around college. What do you guys do? I always hear people in lectures talking about working in hostals and stuff, but where do you apply? I was thinking of ringing random places but it's always easier when you have tips on the places most likely to hire you. Somewhere close to Trinity would be best. Anyone know anywhere?

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,502 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

try the su Shop, just pop into house six and ask to speak to patrick

Joe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Rourky

I'm back in Dublin next week - anyone out there know of any part time work for someone with unparalled charm and good looks?

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

IzzyWizzy wrote:
    Somewhere close to Trinity would be best. Anyone know anywhere?

Try all the shops on Grafton St. I'm not joking! My friend literally walked into a few last week and by the end of the day had a job for weekends during college. But if you don't want shop work, I suppose that's not a lot of good. Luckily I've been working in the same place every summer and during the school years (except this year with the L.C.) since I did my J.C. and they are really accommodating so I'll be staying there during college hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

Rourky wrote:
    I'm back in Dublin next week - anyone out there know of any part time work for someone with unparalled charm and good looks?
    Charity pimp.

I'll throw rocks at you though

ApeXaviour wrote:
    Charity pimp.

I like to call them "Chuggers" (charity muggers). What is the criteria they look for when deciding who to corner? Because I have noticed, no matter how many other people are walking towards them, as soon as they have spotted me, their eyes fix upon my bowed head (trying to be inconspicuous) and they let everyone else stream past as they wave frantically at me even tho I'm a mile away from them!!

• Advertisement

Don't make eye contact. Ever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭sully-gormo

I got a job in centra there, working weekends, though im planning to quit in october. Dont really think id be able to keep it up with work/goin out.

Oh, and its a boring job with shítty low pay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

How much do they pay you in Centra?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

As far as I know, Centras are franchises so it'd probably vary from each store. €7.65 would be the going rate for most of those jobs, though some round it up to €8 or €8.50 to attract (albeit very slightly) higher-calibre staff.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Minimum wage is up to 8.12 now. Use your Irish nationality as an assett, some of these places are very strict when it comes to English and foreign people... then again, most aren't.

• Advertisement

The minimum wage is not €8.12 now.

The minimum wage for a mature adult worker is €7.65.

That also acts as the market clearing minimum wage for over-18s.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭exiztone

Don't tell my boss, he thinks it's 8.12 and I'm not complaining.

Im paid €7/hr on saturday and time and a third on a sunday(roundabout 9.30)
    I kinda suspected it was less than the min. wage!! Is there some authority I can rat them out to??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

if your parttime the min-wage is different i think, but enda will know better....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Im paid €7/hr on saturday and time and a third on a sunday(roundabout 9.30)
    I kinda suspected it was less than the min. wage!! Is there some authority I can rat them out to??

If you're in your first two years of employment after the age of 18, you're entitled to 6.12 for the first year and 6.89 for the second year. Could that be it?

Info on regulations, complaining and such is here.

balls, i thought i had a case there.

Ibid wrote:
    The minimum wage for a mature adult worker is €7.65.
    You're clearly not mature ;). Perhaps I should have used the word "experienced" instead. Shay, for once, is right. You're only entitled to €7.65 after two years. However...
    That also acts as the market clearing minimum wage for over-18s.
    It's really quite easy (depending on certain factors, of course) to get a job that pays €7.65 or above within your first two years. Have a look around.

Oh and 1.33x pay on a Sunday is more than legally acceptable; Xtra-vision get away with 1.2x.
    The relevant body is the the Department of Trade, Enterprise and Employment, more specifically these guys. If you ever have any problems in employment issues that can't be sorted out internally, they're only about 20 mins walk from TCD and will give you free advice on your chances on any action that you may take etc. They get the Ibid BigThumbsUp Seal of Approval™.

Oh i know all that now, never heard of the lower rate thingy for first timers etc. Ive got a job in Dublin City Council next summer so i should be on a decent rate there (and its flexi time too, yay!!)
    Centra isint too bad, theres this place I worked last year(my friends dad owns it, its called the Wise Owl, bookstores) and there i got 6.50! And ive heard of ppl getting as little as 5.50!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

heehee, i'm getting a 56 cent an hour pay rise. while it sounds ****, the best part is that they have to make it retroactive :P

Ibid wrote:
    Shay, for once, is right.

Nothing to add, really. Just wanted to call attention to it.
    Ibid wrote:
    Oh and 1.33x pay on a Sunday is more than legally acceptable; Xtra-vision get away with 1.2x.

Oh, how I miss the heady days of 1.2x Sundays. Right now I'm down to 1.125x.

• Advertisement

shay_562 wrote:
    Oh, how I miss the heady days of 1.2x Sundays. Right now I'm down to 1.125x.
    Wow, I've definitely been taking my employers for granted! I thought double time on a Sunday was standard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

How many hours do you guys reckon is too much to work during college? I've found what appears a fantastic job - not sure about the salary, it's the area excited about - but it's 39 hours a week (evenings and weekends). I'm doing French and Italian (TSM), so I'm not sure what sort of hours I'd have for college - but take an educated guess and tell me if 39 is way too much?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,909 ✭✭✭europerson

One-and-one-eighth-time?! I never knew such an abomination existed! I'm happy with my Saturday time-and-a-half, Sunday double-time, and Bank Holidays treble-time. Oh the joys of the public service! I'm actually finished work now, and they're going to pay me for the leave days I didn't take... at Sunday rates!

europerson wrote:
    One-and-one-eighth-time?! I never knew such an abomination existed! I'm happy with my Saturday time-and-a-half, Sunday double-time, and Bank Holidays treble-time. Oh the joys of the public service! I'm actually finished work now, and they're going to pay me for the leave days I didn't take... at Sunday rates!
    Where do you work, its not Iarnród Eireann are ya? Ive a friend who works there and he made a grand in one week(there was a bank hol in there)!!!! Public Jobs pay crazy amounts of money.

Oh and ragshagbill, 39 hours is a normal full-time working week so id say that on top of college would be waaaaay too much. I mean itd be doable but youd have almost no free time. say you worked full saturdays and sundays-16 hours. that leaves 23 hours;or 4andahalf hours an evening during the week-- too much imo

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

How many hours do you guys reckon is too much to work during college? I've found what appears a fantastic job - not sure about the salary, it's the area excited about - but it's 39 hours a week (evenings and weekends). I'm doing French and Italian (TSM), so I'm not sure what sort of hours I'd have for college - but take an educated guess and tell me if 39 is way too much?

39 hours is WAY too much. That's like a full time job! IMO there's no way you can do that and hope to do in any way well at college. I do French and Spanish TSM and had about 18 hours a week in first year but spread out so I was in 9-5 almost every day. There were lots of gaps but that still meant hanging around college all day and the last thing I wanted to do after that was go and work all evening. In first year I worked 15 hours a week, and that was more than enough for me. It was 2 hours every evening, and that meant not arriving home and eating dinner until after 10. Then to to be in for 9 I had to get up at 7 the next day. It doesn't leave time for anything else. You are supposed to be doing a good bit of work outside class hours as well, I did the minimum but it was still about 6-8 hours a week, when I didn't have essays or papers, and I wasn't reading most of the books. I also was a beginner in Spanish, so that made it harder. I don't know if you're a beginner in Italian, but if so you'll have to put even more work in. IMO it is impossible to work 39 hours a week while in college. The maximum, if you want to do OK in the essays/exams would be about 20.

europerson wrote:
    One-and-one-eighth-time?! I never knew such an abomination existed!

Neither did I until I started at this job - it's a small, family-owned business so they're not used to dealing with staff. Ah well - I was on Enda's XtraVision rates before that (time-and-a-fifth), so this isn't actually a huge step down. And it's still double-time for bank holidays, so that's something.

Like the others have said, 39 a week is far too much. IMO, 20 would be the absolute maximum - you'll have at least 20-odd hours a week of lectures, tutorials and language labs, plus a good few hours for study and homework (especially important in Arts courses, since they expect you to put a large portion of the effort in without too much direction), plus you'll need to have some kind of social life (one would hope). 39 hours is like working a 9-5 job and expecting to have the time and energy to do a full-time college course around that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭RagShagBill

Thanks IzzyWizzy and Suly. I had figured as much, but thought I'd stick it out there on the off chance that it'd work. Looks nice though, doesn't it?

Edit: And thanks to Shay also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Black_Couch

28 hours a week was too much for me. You don't want your weekends to be destroyed with work plus two late nights. I've my eyes peeled for a handy number but they are hard to come by. I think two week nights and most saturdays would do me fine. Say about 15 hours. Most large companies are completely inflexible if you want time off etc.

Do any of ye get jobs around christmas? Presumably thered be lots of positions going round that time. When would you usually get off for christmas? What christmas exams would there be(for Theoretical Physics in my case)?

• Advertisement

In JF I think there was only Algebra examined at Christmas, though from talking to someone I know who did JF last year they had two exams. Still, the exams would be taking place on the 12th or so of December, which would lead plenty of time for a Christmas job.

Best job you could find for Christmas would be the An Post jobs where you are a postman. Fantastic pay, easy work. Should be an announcement on the SU jobs list (e-mail 'subscribe' in the subject bar to sujobs@tcd.ie if you want to be on it) in November or so.

[edit] It normally goes like this - college ends on the 9th or so of December. Some people have exams on the Monday/Tuesday afterwards (with worse souls having them on Thursday or Friday). Wednesday is free because it's the open day. Agus sin é.

Advertisement