Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

12cm front bay fan mod

Options
  • 02-09-2006 7:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭

Ok so WizZard said if I did anything with the fans and sleeving that I got off him to post some pictures so that he can see exactly what every one is doing with his stuff. So heres what I did ;)

I posted a few days ago that I needed to find some 5.25" bay panels, well when I met up with Gline to get a mobo off him I dropped into college and nabbed a few of the front bays from the compsoc computers (they are always being kicked in anyway) Heres what they looked like in the case, just testing the fit.

IMGP3017.jpg

I then masked them together and drew an outline using the grill as the guide

IMGP3020.jpg

heres the very dodgy looking hole I cut with the dremel (mmm melting plastic) wheres the 12cm hole saw bit when you need it :)

IMGP3021.jpg

here it is all cleaned up and the screw holes cut

IMGP3023.jpg

First time ever using a spray can, but i've watched "pimp my ride" enough to know how to get an even coat :rolleyes:

IMGP3024.jpg

A few hours of drying later, heres the size comparison with the old fan grill I was using.

IMGP3028.jpg

As a side, heres what I did with all the sleeving, didn't sleeve everything as the package said that the sleeving was conductive (wtf???) i ran some continuity tests on it and wasn't, but still I didn't want to take too much of a chance. Have to admit I like the look of the new mushkin dimms I the system.

IMGP3034.jpg

What it looks like with the fan installed

IMGP3039.jpg

IMGP3040.jpg

IMGP3045.jpg

Bit dissapointed about the lack of any LEDs, but i'll accept performance over aesthetics. These fans pump out 75cfm, compared to my old 25cfm 80mm fan its a huge improvement. They are bit noisy full blast, but i've got it on a fan controller so I can barely hear it at minimum settings. I'll only turn it up when gaming, and i'll have headphones on then anyway.

Now all I have to do now, is get Glines mobo thrown into it with my new Opty 165 and get OC'in :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭awhir

nice cutting a whole on my new p180 and its a bitch 3 layers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Nice job m8 :D , did your temps drop much?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

nice work there pal :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Takeshi_Kovacs

Yeah, that turned out quite well. I thought you may have problems with the three covers just falling apart after cutting that big hole in them..

Just out of curiosty, what is that fan with yellow ring (just below the gfx cooler), extracting heat from?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

awhir wrote:
    nice cutting a whole on my new p180 and its a bitch 3 layers.

:eek: Why? Is this for the WC. I was thinking about getting a p180 and putting a window in it, but from reading around its pretty pointless getting the p180 if you intend to cut holes in it as the 3 layers are needed for soundproofing. Although if you are going WC, soundproofing won't really be needed ;)

Oh and my temps, no they haven't :rolleyes: I'm idling at 31'c now with all the fans on full, but my system temp is always around 30'c so I don't think I can get them much lower, I don't think my CPU is making the 9500's job hard as it never seems to run hot, i've touched the 9500 after a few hours of gaming and it wasn't even warm. When I install the 165 and start pushing it, then i'll see how my system copes with removing heat. Its more of a preventative measure than a cure. Plus I couldn't just leave that 12cm fan just sitting there not being used :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah, that turned out quite well. I thought you may have problems with the three covers just falling apart after cutting that big hole in them..

Yeah i've learnt from past mistakes to hold things together with masking tape, it stops it from shattering and keeps it all together until its ready to be glued
    Just out of curiosty, what is that fan with yellow ring (just below the gfx cooler), extracting heat from?

Its actually an intake fan by akasa, blowing air onto the gfx cooler, its a pretty strong one at around 45cfm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shanethemofo

nice job... very cleanly done :).
    If your dissapointed by the lack of led's, then what you could do is buy 4 of those led laser cannons off ebay (very cheap) and stick them to the corners of the fan... looks good when done

Advertisement