Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Books/Lockers

Options
  • 01-09-2006 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭

Hi, sorry this may be an obvious question.... I'm starting pharmacy in october and I was wondering if we still use text books in class or do we just take notes all the time or what. Also if we do use books do you know how expensive they are? thanks! Sorry if it's an obvious question!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭<Jonny>

I hope if you're studying medicine/pharmaceuticals that you indeed read a ****load of books ;)

Some lecturers give handouts, some put things on the blackboard/overhead projector for you to take down, some put notes online for you to print out (and add in comments). Not sure specifically about Pharmacy - bring an A4 pad in with you to your first lecture, and you'll find out then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Can anybody put a ballpark price on books (computer science)?
    Are there second hand options, if so where should I be looking? Any websites?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

happydance wrote:
    Hi, sorry this may be an obvious question.... I'm starting pharmacy in october and I was wondering if we still use text books in class or do we just take notes all the time or what. Also if we do use books do you know how expensive they are? thanks! Sorry if it's an obvious question!
    You don't use them in class, though you do need them. You can get by the whole 4 years with books from the library if you're proper desperate. Usually however tis a good idea to get one or two of the core textbooks, especially in the freshmen years.

All you need for lectures however is a pen and notepad. A folder or something is prob a good idea too to keep any handouts or anything in too.

Books (say the main chemistry book, Chemistry by Silberberg) will usually be between 40 - 70 euro each.

Students' Union Bookshop
    The Students' Union Bookshop is located on the first floor of House 6 (directly above the SU shop). The bookshop opens from 09:30 to 17:30, Monday to Friday, throughout all three terms. Bookstalls are organised in the Arts Block and the Hamilton building on a regular basis. The Co-op buys books from students throughout the year at different times. They also have special once-off buying days after the exams in early June. It attempts to cover all the subjects that are taught in Trinity and also stocks a broad range of literary fiction.

This year we are hoping to have an online catalogue of all books available from the bookshop. More details will follow on this

The bookshop is open
    Monday - Friday: 9.30-5.30
    Late night Thursday: Open 'til 7.30

From here.

Plus there's here, though I don't know what it's like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

cianclarke wrote:
    Can anybody put a ballpark price on books (computer science)?

some one of the cs heads can correct me but for CS you really shouldn't need to buy any books, between the library and just google'n for the intro years shouldn't be any real need. Later on maybe when limited supply of some very specific book..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭happydance

that's brilliant! I was afraid I'd need them for class and would have to buy a ton of them and then drag them up and down on the train! I'll probably accumulate them slowly over the year - much less painful then having to buy them all at once! Thanks.

There are always lockers, by the way! Get them usually on the first actual day of lectures. Cost €30 last number of years, get half back at the end (if you remember).

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

Yeah, try and get as many of the books as you can, even though they're bloody expensive.. around exam time you won't get any of your core textbooks (or any of the alternatives) in the library for LOVE nor money.. and having your own is worth that lack of stress.. Also, you won't have to carry books home if you want to study - they're pretty damn heavy too!
    BUT!
    Be careful - we were advised to get a certain book for a subject last year.. and I found it pure ****. I couldn't find anything in it and I really disliked how it was written. It gathered dust on my table for 6 months. Luckily a friend of mine had a different one he wasn't using - I borrowed it for the last two months and managed to get chapters studied in absolutely no time, just because the way the information was presented agreed with me.
    Go into the library in the first couple of weeks and have a look at the recommended texts - there's usually a few for each subject anyway - and see which one you find easiest to study from.
    Oh, and get a locker in the Hamilton - you can dump all your stuff in it when you're going into a lab so it saves you time and lost bags!

Thanks, about the lockers, do you automatically get one or is it a firt come/first served thing?

• Advertisement

happydance wrote:
    Thanks, about the lockers, do you automatically get one or is it a firt come/first served thing?
    The latter. If you want one in the hamilton you'll have to queue outside the arts block on the first monday of term. Early if you want one upstairs in the ham. If you want one downstairs in the panoz you can come later. If ya want one upstairs and don't want to queue that much I'd recommend coming at 06:55.

Assuming it's the same, it's a first come, first served basis. You come in 'early', get a bit of paper and then queue to pay all in the Arts Block (you'll see the queue). Biggest lockers go first (arts block, second floor), with the ground floor hamilton ones next (there's more in the East End, thankfully).

ApeXaviour wrote:
    The latter. If you want one in the hamilton you'll have to queue outside the arts block on the first monday of term. Early if you want one upstairs in the ham. If you want one downstairs in the panoz you can come later. If ya want one upstairs and don't want to queue that much I'd recommend coming at 06:55.

6:55?? am? please tell me you're joking! :eek:

They are limited, and are the first to go. People come in early to get them, simple as.

happydance wrote:
    6:55?? am? please tell me you're joking! :eek:
    Nope I did it three years in a row. Still had to queue a little, though not much. Every year got from lockers 45-55 on the ground floor of the hamo, handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Papillon87

I'm a tad confused. I'll be in the Arts building, I'm assuming this Hamilton building is for science subjects is it? So are there only lockers in those two buildings and do you just go to whichever one?

Papillon87 wrote:
    I'm a tad confused. I'll be in the Arts building, I'm assuming this Hamilton building is for science subjects is it? So are there only lockers in those two buildings and do you just go to whichever one?
    You apply for all lockers, nomatter where the are in the college, in the arts building (at the security/info desk there). You state there which lockers you're applying for. Hamilton is science end yes. You'll have to get in early to get a big locker in the arts block. I was just giving information as I know it (for science end students) in general.

There are also lockers in the Lloyd Institute, so I was told last year. If you do Engineering (or just want another locker) you should be able to pick up a locker in the Museum Building from Eng Soc - but these are seperate to the other lockers.

Oh ok, thanks. Just one more thing, you said you have to state which lockers you're applying for. Um, I'm not particularly fussy?!

If you have more lecturers by the Hamilton, go for a hamilton locker, and vice-versa. Bit of a pain walking up to the Arts Block to collect/deposit books if you're in the Hamilton all day (i found).

• Advertisement

Oh right so I might have lectures outside the arts building? I suppose I'll find all that out during Freshers' week won't I?

Yep, you will indeed. No need worrying about that now.

Nietz.../Apex/Crash, any chance this thread could be changed to Books/Lockers? or to split this into two threads? The info on lockers is more of a bonus to this thread, but anyone else viewing the forum mightn't look in it :)

Thanks a million for all the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

Myth wrote:
    Nietz.../Apex/Crash, any chance this thread could be changed to Books/Lockers?
    Yes sir.

Thanks for the help!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Bartronilic

I don't care if i have to get up at 4AM im going in and getting myself a locker. there was this one time last year where i couldnt go out because i had a tennis racquet with me :( and no shoes.

So this year im putting my old pair of shoes in there and getting a double locker!!!

I won't stand for having no locker anymore.

My locker in school got me in trouble cos it was a mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

How much are lockers in the Arts building? What time do I need to be there to get one? About 6.45 as well? :eek: What date is it this year?

How much are lockers in the Arts building?

It was 30 euro last year across the board regardless of what size locker or location you go.
    What time do I need to be there to get one? About 6.45 as well?

Read the rest of the thread, it mentions how the ones which are demanded the most go quickly. If you're in around 8, you'll get one no problem. Or you could do what I do, go in two weeks later at around 2 in the afternoon and ask if there are any spare lockers left. People always take the paper but forget to pay.
    What date is it this year?

It's usually the first day of term, but not always. Contact president@tcdsu.org and annoy him to find out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 588 ✭✭✭littlehedgehog

I still have my key from last year.. really not sure what I should be doing about it?! Anyone have any ideas?

• Advertisement

Jean wrote:
    I still have my key from last year.. really not sure what I should be doing about it?! Anyone have any ideas?
    Put it in the bin, they've already changed your lock and your deposit is now forfeit. Sorry...

If it makes you feel any better this happened to me 3 years in a row

Advertisement