Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photo Challenge 17: B&W Street Portraits

Options
  • 01-09-2006 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭

As requested by Merv, winner of challenge 16. Nothing posed, just candid. Black & White street photography.

As per merv's spec - "not posed, strangers prefered, presented in b/w. busker, tourist, person working (street cleaner / police / postman....) "

Entries to the usual spot - http://photos.hotshotireland.com

Because I predict this is going to be a quiet one, you've got until the 20th September to enter your photos.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,424 ✭✭✭440Hz

Well that counts me out... I cant do street photography! tips.... this way :)

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

Tips? Shoot from the hip from real close with a WA lens. Dont even look where your shooting. Shoot lots. :-)

or, slap on the 500mm with a 2X extender from the roof of a multistory car park :-)

I came up with the idea from a competition I saw in London, in the Victoria area. The winners were all hung in a gallery. They had everyone - shool teachers, clergy, cops, traffic wardens etc. It made for a pretty cool display.

Merv.

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,422 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I've never been able to do this kind of stuff either, not from a technical perspective though, it just makes me feel like some kind of weird pervy voyeur :) Think I'll pass on this one ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Not my favourite passtime either but maybe that's a good thing. Might have something by the 20th. We'll see. Might push myself for a change :o

• Registered Users Posts: 5,645 ✭✭✭Shrimp

Fairly similar to the last one. Ah well, I'll have a bash at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

Oooh, I'm going to New York on Monday, maybe I'll find some interesting buskers!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,141 ✭✭✭masteroftherealm

mervifwdc wrote:
    or, slap on the 500mm with a 2X extender from the roof of a multistory car park :-)

Merv.

Nope thats not street!!
    Street cannot be shot with more than a 100mm lens :)

Well finally someting I like.
    And ooooo what timing.
    Just bough 3 new rangefinders from ebay and a dozen rolls of APX100 :)

Fun fun ahead.

And for those of you wondering the style have a look over here..
    http://browse.deviantart.com/projects/contests/streetphotography/
    Another street photo Contest and
    http://www.deviantart.com/deviation/38038974/
    An excellent article on street shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭slumped

mervifwdc wrote:

I think that's called stalking, at least that's what the courts told me....... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭mdebets

I added my Che picture. I hope, it's ok, as it is not 100% B&W, but has a small bit of colour in it (a red star)

• Advertisement

Submitted John Washigton.
    Its digital but with college starting I dont know if Ill find anything I can shoot on film :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,620 ✭✭✭Roen

Stuck one up, it's not any good but what the hell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

rymus wrote:
    As requested by Merv, winner of challenge 16. Nothing posed, just candid. Black & White street photography.

As per merv's spec - "not posed, strangers prefered, presented in b/w. busker, tourist, person working (street cleaner / police / postman....) "

Entries to the usual spot - http://photos.hotshotireland.com

Because I predict this is going to be a quiet one, you've got until the 20th September to enter your photos.

When you say nothing posed - does that rule out street performers ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

Morlar wrote:
    When you say nothing posed - does that rule out street performers ?

I would presume that means that the subject of your photo isn't posing for you. Posing for the general audience or for someone else is fair game I'd say

• Registered Users Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭leche solara

I uploaded a picture 2 days ago.
    Is it lost in cyberspace, or has it not been approved(yet!) or will I upload again?

hasnt been approved yet.. .I'm doing to do one bulk job for these so they all appear at the same time on the site*

*Idea robbed from someone else

• Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭jlang

Aah, no. Be your own man, rymus! It's nice to watch the pictures as they come in. It gives inspiration to those of us who haven't go off our collective behinds to go and shoot a street, or whatever. No-one can vote until they're all in and the submitters can choose to wait till the last day if they'd prefer.

quiet you with your peer pressure!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

I added mine, woo.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭corkimp

and it has to be street? lol I'll have to wait for next competition to enter - on hols sat for 2 weeks to Antigua....hope my photos are good enough for comps

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

rymus wrote:
    quiet you with your peer pressure!
    Father Damo: "Oasis or Blur?"

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Tangential question for all of you lot taking part in this:

I run a similar challenge in the Comic Forum, and we're trying to widen the scope of our themes to make it more interesting. We want to try using a photograph as the starting point for our next round, and I figure it'd be easier to use pictures from the Photo Challenge than to try and randomly find something that everyone likes.

Would any of ye have objections to your pictures being incorporated into comic artwork? (Obviously you'll be credited as the copyright holder for the original picture)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

This is probably a dumb question but:o ..... do I have to create an account on the site to submit a pic or how do i submit a pic?

May enter this time if not definitly next challenge....

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

artieanna wrote:
    ... do I have to create an account on the site to submit a pic or how do i submit a pic?
    Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭mervifwdc

rymus wrote:
    I would presume that means that the subject of your photo isn't posing for you. Posing for the general audience or for someone else is fair game I'd say

yup, Fair game.

Merv.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Hey, is this competition open to anyone? I ask because I do read the photography forums although don't really take many photographs nor do I use photoshop or have a proper camera (just a digital one).

I also have (what I think is) quite a cool street photo, which I could make black and white and then enter? Would that be alright?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Indeed tis open to anyone! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Dizzy Carmody

sory not to seem stupid or ne thing ha
    where do i upload the image? i tried the link but do i have to reg with if so no probs.just wanted to know.
    last question what sizes do the photographs have to be?
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Yep, you'll have to reg on the site, but it's ok, it's only our 'friendly' moderators site for hosting!

Think 800 pixels is the limit?

• Advertisement

'friendly'

Advertisement