Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rateyourauctioneer website - legal nightmare or 'housebuyer heaven'?

Options
  • 31-08-2006 3:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Myself and a friend have started a web site. The web site is www.rateyourauctioneer.com

This is a public forum where people can rate auctioneers when selling or buying a home and others can view this information to help them choose an auctioneer. If you have used a particular auctioneer (or know someone who might) in the past then it would be great if you could possibly submit a rating for them (just takes a minute).
    If you could also forward this to your friends and family I would really appreciate this. This website has just gone live today so we could use all the help we could get.

Please let me know what you think.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

My thoughts exactly, you are on very thin ground there.

I've actually spoke to someone else who came up with this idea (on the back of rateyourteacher) but that person soon came to the realisation that he could be opening up a can of worms...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭paulocon

I see you've changed the title of the thread, so....

Legal Nightmare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,919 ✭✭✭Bob the Builder

paulocon wrote:
    My thoughts exactly, you are on very thin ground there.

I've actually spoke to someone else who came up with this idea (on the back of rateyourteacher) but that person soon came to the realisation that he could be opening up a can of worms...
    The only reason RateMyTeachers.ie wasn't sued according to irish law was because it was hosted in the US.That was the main reason, there was of course other smaller reasons too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

The first rule of setting up a website, make sure it ain't hosted in Ireland. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 195 ✭✭rondjon

Bond-007 wrote:
    The first rule of setting up a website, make sure it ain't hosted in Ireland. ;)

Given the content of your site at the moment, I'm guessing you're actually going to find the true first rule of setting up this kind of website.

While Irish people complain a lot, they won't do it online (much!). I'm guessing you're based in Cork, seeing as that's the only county with any content.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,386 ✭✭✭EKRIUQ

Putting something upthere that isn't true is an opening for a lawsuit. If its true then its OK, but how often have we seen people over exarchate their claims.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

TBH, I think a site like this is totally and utterly useless. I have my house up for sale at the moment and have just changed estate agent. The first agent I used did his best to sell the house, but had no luck. It was probably my own fault for not originally choosing an estate agent that was nearer to the property. I'm now sale agreed with my new estate agent. The first estate agent had managed to get two separate parties, one after the other, to put down a deposit but both parties happened to be time wasters who were misleading him as to how serious they were about buying a house. I can hardly blame the estate agent for this can I?!?!? It's an open market out there and people can change estates agent at no charge to themsleves if they want to. Also, matching a buyer and a seller does sometimes come down to luck. Getting someone who wants to buy for the price that you want to sell for, at the time you want to sell, does come down to luck sometimes, outside of Dublin anyway, as I've learned.

Also, an estate agent that gets slated on this site could most probably identify the transaction or party making the complaint by what was said about him or her on the site. I'm no estate agent but if I was and felt I was unfairly slated on a website like this, I'd turn up and the complainants door and have it out with them.

It's hard to see how an estate agent can fu*k up, usually, if there is a problem, its caused by a buyer pulling out and this is something an estate agent has no control over... What is this website trying to achieve??????

Advertisement