Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Veteran's hints on Trinity life.

Options
  • 28-08-2006 8:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭

Just a thread for any of you veterans who want to share words of wisdom with us wide-eyed freshers. (if you want)

Comments

Veteran? I've life left in me yet sonny! /old codger.

Be nice to Matt, he adds character to the place.

83046452a131013248b816196135l.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Go to as much as possible in the first few weeks. Miss going home for dinner if you have to. Learn to survive on a few hours' sleep and caffeine. Learn the art of remembering many names. And then, please teach me..

Pet wrote:
    Go to as much as possible in the first few weeks. Miss going home for dinner if you have to. Learn to survive on a few hours' sleep and caffeine. Learn the art of remembering many names. And then, please teach me..

So I'm told - say the name 3 times. Also not drinking tends to help, but that's the easy way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Thats my goal for nest year, peoples names. It gets embarrassing when people who you were sure were drunk know your name and you dont know theirs despite reasonable sobriety at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Thats my goal for nest year, peoples names. It gets embarrassing when people who you were sure were drunk know your name and you dont know theirs despite reasonable sobriety at the time.

I know that feeling, Ciara.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

lol i never remember people's names well, so freshers week was an interesting time of hey you's ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

em, go to everything in freshers week and the weeks after. ignore any comments family may make, and insist you're getting some early study time in....until 4am :) worked for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pixielady

i reccommend chatting to people in sandwich queues its a great way to meet new friends. and oh you have to join every society that you have any conceivable interest in coz its the one you least suspect that draws you in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Completely agree with society whoring. There's a time and a place for everything - and that's College.

Say you join twenty societies, you're looking at €40. By joining twenty societies you'll almost certainly find one that you really like and get some friends from that. Finding good friends for the year/the four years/beyond is well worth the €40 :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 bombus

Well, seeing as everyone else is doing it.

Try and join a sports club, especially something you've always wanted to do but never did. This usually ends up being a martial art. Give it a whirl, you may really like it and keep it up for you're whole degree or you may prefer watching on tv.

Join a few societes, they're all the same really although people with try and tell you otherwise. What's important is you find one that has people you click with and can have a bit of banter with. Doesn't really matter if it's Jazz or Monkey society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭Dave Larkin

Wouldn't it be very difficult to keep up to date with twenty societies? It's obviously the right idea to get to know people, but there's no way someone could attend all the meetings societies run etc.

Then again, I'm an incoming JF, what do I know? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Clearly nothing, as your sig is too big ;).

But that aside, you won't keep up with the twenty societies; you'll go to one, maybe two meetings of each and pick and choose in an all-conquering evolutionary sequence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Tricity Bendix

You're going into a totally new environment, one that is far larger than secondary school or pretty much anywhere else you've been up to now. Its likely that there will only be a few people (if any) who you know when you first arrive. As such, the first few weeks in Trinity can be a great time to break out of your shell/let loose. You may be a bit nervous starting off, but so will everybody else. If you come across as confident and friendly you will attract people to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

On a side note, I detest the bad grammer in the thread title.

Oh....should be veterans'. Sorry. Isn't detest a kind of strong word for a feeling against grammar? How bad can it be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

Isn't detest a kind of strong word for a feeling against grammar? How bad can it be?

...bad. Be especially careful when talking to English students. Poor grammar is like battery acid to them.

shay_562 wrote:
    ...bad. Poor grammar is like battery acid to them.

Ah, I see. So it's like natural light with CS students?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

why do you think I work nights?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Because you like to sleep in?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭Zoodlebop

shay_562 wrote:
    ...bad. Be especially careful when talking to English students. Poor grammar is like battery acid to them.

What is strange is that I'm signed up for English and Maths, TSM

Advertisement