Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Petrol prices to rise again!

Options
  • 08-08-2006 2:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Here we go again

Petrol prices to rise again and could see prices hit 1.30 a litre in the near future.

45e fills the tank for one week, its not bad but nto great either.

Its crazy to think how much we rely on oil for everyday use.

Better start thinking about investing in a bicycle.
    Oil prices remain at near record levels today after prices reached new highs on markets yesterday.

Costs surged after British energy company BP shut half its production in Alaska following the discovery of leaks in its pipelines.

Bank of Ireland today predicted the price of oil would reach $80 dollars a barrel in the coming weeks.

Advertisement

The bank has also predicted that a litre of unleaded petrol could reach €1.30 at some stations in the coming weeks.

RTE News.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

OK, I'm filling up this evening...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

The point is that its getting too expensive to run petrol.

Does anyone know if green diesel does any harm to modern engines.

Am thinking about buying a diesel car, Ford Mondeo or Vectra.

There is 7c in the difference between petrol and diesel in most forecourts.

Running petrol is getting to be expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The government are taking more money from it than anyone else, they should put a cap on their take after the price hits €1 or so, at the moment every 5c on at the wholesale rate adds something like an extra 20c to the cunsumer when taxes are applied :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

kluivert wrote:
    Here we go again

Petrol prices to rise again and could see prices hit 1.30 a litre in the near future.

45e fills the tank for one week, its not bad but nto great either.

Its crazy to think how much we rely on oil for everyday use.

Better start thinking about investing in a bicycle.

RTE News.

€45 fills tank, or you only use €45 in a week?Must be a small car if that fills tank

€65 to fill my tank - it was €50 not so long ago, that €15 definitely adds up over time...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭kluivert

€45 fill the tank for a weeks worth of driving. Its a 52L tank. So I fill it up with 37L's, meaning I still have around 15L's left which is good for another 100 miles or so

I drive a 1.4 1999 Opel Astra.

But I remember when the tank was full on €25 about three years ago. It has increased €20 since then, that in my opinion is a sharpe increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭thewing

yeah that's a normal size tank, was a little confused...

Yeah, used to cost 80c a litre when I only 2 years ago...that's a 50 increase 24 months....the €2 litre doesn't seem that far off at this rate....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭skyhighflyer

Green diesel won't do modern diesel engines any harm at all. All it is is road diesel (same quality) dyed green.

But you'll find that most places won't sell it to you unless you're in a tractor or a jcb or have cans to put it in. Plus factor in the risk of being dipped and fined and it's probably not worth it. 75c a litre is very tempting at these prices though, but if you've a modern diesel yo should be getting good mpg anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

The government need to relax the tax or cap it at a certain point as already mentioned. Its getting way too expensive now, fookin government are useless. They dont live in the real world, sure their petrol probably comes free with their expenses. They probably dont even know how expensive its gotten. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Just be thankful you don't live in Holland. Or Austria, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Finland, Belgium, UK, Norway, Denmark...

Irish fuel prices aren't that high compared to other EU countries, so we can at least be thankful for that. While it's bad for us, it's worse for those other countries...

• Registered Users Posts: 28,799 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Unfortunately our (for now) cheaper fuel prices are more than offset by the ridiculously inflated prices for everything else! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

thewing wrote:
    €65 to fill my tank
    Lucky you. €80 for me and that's diesel!
    kluivert wrote:
    Does anyone know if green diesel does any harm to modern engines.
    No
    factor in the risk of being dipped and fined and it's probably not worth it
    The chance of getting dipped in a car are very slim unless they are tipped off. With a 4x4 it's much more likely. Ever notice in a town when there is a mart on all the jeeps are parked with the fuel filler side tight against a wall! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,556 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

kluivert wrote:
    In the near future? If I was a betting man I'd lay out evens that petrol will hit €1.30 by the end of this month.

Thankfully, I went diesel a few months ago, but it's still a sting.

And what's the craic with the govt closing down Irish Sugar when the facilities could be easily used to produce ethanol?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,577 ✭✭✭maidhc

And what's the craic with the govt closing down Irish Sugar when the facilities could be easily used to produce ethanol?

Greencore see more money in selling the site for semi-ds

The property holding company that also happens to make sandwiches are suing the Minister for Agriculture in the HC because they only got 75% of the total EU compensation package for Ireland getting out of sugar production.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,209 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Oh im glad I have a diesel boat!

Go on the argi diesel!

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

It cost me €86 to fill up a couple of weeks ago at roughly 115c. Doesnt be long going in a 2.5 either. Am only a lowly apprentice now aswell so I'm parking up the safrane for a while and driving a clio. Should reduce costs. Filled the clio for €48 last week at around 117c.

I fill up from a tank of (white!!) diesel in the yard at home. Last time it was filled it cost 105c/L. You get a bit of bulk discount, and hedge your prices at the same time. Well worth it!

It is beside a tank of green diesel for the machiney. Tempting indeed, but have yet to succumb.

maidhc wrote:
    It is beside a tank of green diesel for the machiney. Tempting indeed, but have yet to succumb.
    As well as the dye, there's also a trace chemical that they use which will screw up your engine. Fine though, if you're powering an end of life diesel bus that just passed what you consider will be it's last NCT.

Not that I'd recommend breaking the law. Ohhhh no.

The chance of getting dipped in a car are very slim unless they are tipped off. With a 4x4 it's much more likely. Ever notice in a town when there is a mart on all the jeeps are parked with the fuel filler side tight against a wall! :D
    Er, NCT? Hello?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,980 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

there's also a trace chemical that they use which will screw up your engine.
    I thought that chemical was only in the illegal stuff marketed by Slab Murphy and Co made from NI red diesel?
    Er, NCT? Hello?

Can't see anything relating to checking for legal fuel in my NCT manual. Please enlighten me.

I thought that chemical was only in the illegal stuff marketed by Slab Murphy and Co made from NI red diesel?

That is what I thought too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If you get dipped you'll be subject to a fine of thousands, and the Customs boys are out there - last spoted a checkpoint about two weeks ago.

Mike.

mike65 wrote:
    If you get dipped you'll be subject to a fine of thousands, and the Customs boys are out there - last spoted a checkpoint about two weeks ago.

Mike.

I suspect the customs seek the "co-operation" of the oil companies in targeting those that buy a good share of green diesel and surprisingly little of the white variety.

I once saw an impressive "conversion", where a truck had split fuel tanks with a second hidden filler. It also had a hidden switch so the driver could select either green or white diesel on the fly, so that if stopped for a thorough check there would be nothing other than white diesel flowing into the diesel filter.

One of Slabs boyos! As for who gets dipped, I have more than once while driving a van.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭spuddy

fjon wrote:
    Just be thankful you don't live in Holland. Or Austria, Germany, Italy, France, Portugal, Finland, Belgium, UK, Norway, Denmark...

Irish fuel prices aren't that high compared to other EU countries, so we can at least be thankful for that. While it's bad for us, it's worse for those other countries...

Diesel's €1.08 in France and €1.16 in Germany at the mo, how much cheaper is it at home now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

fuel prices up again..so what?somebody has to pay for the war(s)

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

The duty / tax on fuel is too low in this country. Motor tax should be abolished and the loss to the state should be compensated by higher duty on fuel

The pollutor should pay. Now someone with 3.0+ engine that drives 1,000 kms per year pays €1343 tax. Someone else with a 1.0 engine drives 100,000 kms per year pays only €151

fuel prices up again..so what?somebody has to pay for the war(s)

The current jump is down to BP closing a field for repairs.

The "crisis/security" premuim is reckoned to be worth 15 dollars a barrel.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,202 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

unkel wrote:
    The duty / tax on fuel is too low in this country. Motor tax should be abolished and the loss to the state should be compensated by higher duty on fuel.

I think the government takes about 63% in tax from a litre of petrol/diesel afaik.
    unkel wrote:
    The pollutor should pay. Now someone with 3.0+ engine that drives 1,000 kms per year pays €1343 tax. Someone else with a 1.0 engine drives 100,000 kms per year pays only €151

Agree that the pollutor should pay but would basing it on emissions like the UK be a fairer solution? Would a 3.0+ litre engine release more harmful emissions than a 1.0 litre?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,221 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

bazz26 wrote:
    I think the government takes about 63% in tax from a litre of petrol/diesel afaik

Whatever the percentage is, it is lower than most other (old) EU countries, something which makes it relatively easy to up the duty from a political point of view
    bazz26 wrote:
    Agree that the pollutor should pay but would basing it on emissions like the UK be a fairer solution? Would a 3.0+ litre engine release more harmful emissions than a 1.0 litre?

The general rule would be that a large engine would release more harmful emissions than a small engine (per km). A large engine would also use more fuel than a small engine (per km). A duty based on fuel seems fair. It is also easy to implement

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭imeddyhobbs

if the government was to introduce a tax where the pollutor pays then the government would have to a pretty high tax on its own vehicles

Advertisement