Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trinity Student Accommodation

Options
  • 06-08-2006 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭

Hi, was just wondering about Trinity Halls?, as in on campus accommodation at Trinity.

Are there places reserved for freshers? I heard that places are allocated based on academic performance. That isn't true, surely? Is there a scramble for places every year?

Thanks for any answers I may receive. =)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

there are places reserved for freshers afaik, and these days i've not heard of anyone who applied for halls who didn't get it.... But most things like that in the college are based on academic proformance, or contribution to the college(i.e. captain of a club or that). Though it more applies for on campus accodmation.(i.e. not halls, on the college campus itself)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

There are a large number of places reserved in Halls for freshers. You can't apply until you receive your offer from college. The main things that they look for from freshers are that you have some interests outside of academic stuff and that you are ambitious about getting involved in college life and things that go on throughout the year.

People do get rejected every year, but shortly after the rejections some extra places do come open from people not accepting their rooms - so even if you do get rejected keep contacting the accomodation office in Halls to see if they can get you in.

This is all from my personal experience and should be taken as such, what I described as what they look for is what was provided by myself and many people who I know who have been successful, it's worked for me so far, had two years in Halls, one year in private accommodation and am moving into campus next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

aka bull****. when it comes to college, tell them exactly what you want to get involved with, how many societies you want to do stuff with, how the SU is your life, and talk **** like that. what I did - got me a room on campus like :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

eh neil, the above "bs" sounds remarkably like you're actual life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭cianclarke

Anybody know if they give preference for people far from Dublin? I'm in Co. Waterford.
    If I don't get in, anybody have advice on what I should do - contact the accommodation office and see what they can do for me?

• Advertisement

they give preference to people who actively contribute to the college life..

so go to www.csc.tcd.ie and drop in the names of a few societies, also www.tcd.ie/Clubs/ its the sports section.

The more you show how you want to get involved in the college atmosphere the better your chances are.. I got my room on campus that way

• Registered Users Posts: 7,314 ✭✭✭Nietzschean

cianclarke wrote:
    Anybody know if they give preference for people far from Dublin? I'm in Co. Waterford.
    If I don't get in, anybody have advice on what I should do - contact the accommodation office and see what they can do for me?
    they do give an extra weighting for people living far from dublin. If you don't get in, well look at daft.ie and places i guess for renting. There's also NUI's place over in the IFSC

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭nedward

Thanks all. I think there might be a vacancy fer a Book Soc. ;) College grants here I come!

Join the rifle club.. every captain who has applied for rooms on campus for the last few years has gotten them, and all the committee members who applied for Halls for a second year got them as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

Join the Hist or the Phil, the auditor and the president are garunteed rooms.

Now I can see what's fundamentally wrong with that as a piece of advice, so I'm going to assume that you can see what's wrong with your advice about mentioning the rifle club.

In terms of getting Halls, go to the CSC website and look for the societies which cater for your interests. If you like sports look up DUCAC. If you like organising parties etc say your interested in being involved in the SU. Chances are what you think you'll be involved in and where you focus in college will be atm will have very little likeness to where you are this time next year.

• Advertisement

Sorry - it was a shamless plug of the Rifle Club, a really cool club to join!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

All the stuff previous posters have said about how society/club activity helps in getting a room

Hasn't anyone been listening to the Junior Dean? ;)

When Brendan Tangney was JD there was a great chance of getting a room based on involvement in college life in clubs and societies - however there's a new sheriff in town now. A scary new sheriff, who has repeatedly stressed that the only undergraduates to whom she is guaranteeing rooms are Scholars and the SU sabbats.

I know of one student in an incoming prominent position in college, which is non-paying but offers a room on campus instead - at least that was the case up until er, now, as that student hasn't been offered a room for the coming year.

I'll lay my cards on the table here - I was lucky enough to get a room in college for two years in a row, both times based on my involvement with the papers, CSC, SU and DUCAC. I knew it was a privilege to get a room for these reasons so I worked my ass off at all the stuff I did and hopefully, made some kind of difference with the things I did. It was like I owed it to college to give something back.

I hate hearing people say stuff that's been mentioned in this thread about lying in regards to involvement - it's dishonest and unfair. However I do think that people who genuinely work hard in extra-curricular stuff do deserve rooms, and I would hate to see this cut down, as it seems to be suggested by the JD.

you don't lie - you just ensure that anything you've done, you mention. all I put down was perfectly factual, but just make them sound that bit better than they are - like a cv :)

Exactly - I mean if you say that you are going to take up twenty sports and join 10 societies.. the accomodation office are going to know your lying!

But if you are going to join say the rowing, rifle and fencing club, then why not put that down??

they give preference to people who actively contribute to the college life..

so go to www.csc.tcd.ie and drop in the names of a few societies, also www.tcd.ie/Clubs/ its the sports section.

The more you show how you want to get involved in the college atmosphere the better your chances are.. I got my room on campus that way
    Does this apply to me, IE an upcoming fresher (coming from secondary school)?
    Is there anything I can do to convince them I deserve a room besides the fact that i live an awful distance away? I haven't seen the application form yet - I don't want to go putting in my CAO number till I get my offer...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

cianclarke wrote:
    Does this apply to me, IE an upcoming fresher (coming from secondary school)?
    Is there anything I can do to convince them I deserve a room besides the fact that i live an awful distance away? I haven't seen the application form yet - I don't want to go putting in my CAO number till I get my offer...

You'll be applying to Halls, so the 'i live for involvement' stuff isn't as important. That said, there's an emphasis in all coll accommadation on building a community spirit, etc. The phrases 'hell is other people' and 'i like to sit in my room, in the dark, alone for 17 hours a day' shouldn't appear on your application form.

Unless you're applying for comp sci - in which case the second one is expected, or else they know there's something fishy going on...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

cuckoo wrote:
    You'll be applying to Halls, so the 'i live for involvement' stuff isn't as important. That said, there's an emphasis in all coll accommadation on building a community spirit, etc. The phrases 'hell is other people' and 'i like to sit in my room, in the dark, alone for 17 hours a day' shouldn't appear on your application form.
    Cuckoo! Where the fuck have you been?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭Hermione*

&#231 wrote: »
    Unless you're applying for comp sci - in which case the second one is expected, or else they know there's something fishy going on...

Yes, cos we all know there's no such thing as a sane, normal computer scientist .....

.... no, I'm not taking the piss, I do acually believe that :p;)

Halls is not that easy to get into..

Don't bull on your application - the people who work in the accomodation ofice have dealt with all of these before, and will prob spot it.

But have a look at whats on offer in TCD, and if there are sports clubs / societies that you want to join, then put those down.

I was told in first year to apply for 'any room' rather then say that you will only take a single.. apparently that helps!

• Advertisement

&#231 wrote: »
    So.... I'm ****ed? ;):D

welcome to the world :) and harsh Denise, harsh :P

Hm, I was going to put down everything except a twin (which is the reality, I'd rather go hunting myself for accomodation than have to share). But if I put down that I'll take "any" room type have I a better chance of being taken than if I put down first choice a single, second a single, third another type of single and don't mention anything about a twin?

And if all comes to all and they only offer me a twin I could tell them to stick it?
    Thanks for the help! :)

There are only two types of single available to JF students, both of which are in Trinity Hall. Modern (which are the newish tall apartments) and Standard (Cunningham house, 1970's redbrick, kinda drab but has its charms). If you apply for Modern Single and put Standard single as your second choice, you'll almost certainly get it.

And yes, if you don't want to take the offer of a place, you can tell them to stick it - but be polite, the staff in the Accommodation office have a great memory for names, and it might count against you in future..Also, you won't be refunded your €15 application fee either (you don't get refunded even if they offer you nothing, actually..that fee is a nice little moneyspinner for them I'd say).

I went out with someone in Cunningham for a while in first year

While the facilities werent great, and there was no internet, the atmosphere was better then my 'modern' flat. The modern flats seem a bit clinical and antiseptic.. Cunningham rooms have character! And there is always internet around the corner in the JCR place.

But be warned! Paper thin walls in the bedrooms!!!

Pet wrote:
    There are only two types of single available to JF students, both of which are in Trinity Hall. Modern (which are the newish tall apartments) and Standard (Cunningham house, 1970's redbrick, kinda drab but has its charms). If you apply for Modern Single and put Standard single as your second choice, you'll almost certainly get it.

And yes, if you don't want to take the offer of a place, you can tell them to stick it - but be polite, the staff in the Accommodation office have a great memory for names, and it might count against you in future..Also, you won't be refunded your €15 application fee either (you don't get refunded even if they offer you nothing, actually..that fee is a nice little moneyspinner for them I'd say).
    Thanks for the help, I can't see the app form till I take an offer (it won't show up when I make up a CAO number or sue my own).
    The above is how my application form will go - and if I'm offered either I'll jump at it.

Some don't have net access though? Is there room for user comments on the application forum? I guess "i want internet" wouldn't go down too well. :( I'd be pretty shagged without the net, I'll be dabbling in a bit of web design through uni' to help with the financial aspect and without the net that'd be a bitch...
    Thanks for the help, results tomorrow but CAO offers are Monday and all going well, I'll be filling for halls - I'd be in a bad way if I didn't get in to halls (or TCD for that matter :rolleyes:)

You're from Waterford..hmm, my socially-retarded recluse of a flatmate last year was from Waterford. He hid in his room and never talked to anyone, despite almost inhuman efforts by everyone else. What a sap. I certainly hope you won't turn out like that! (To date this has been my only experience with people from Waterford, and it has tainted my view of the almost-langers.)

Certainly put down that you need internet, but don't just say "I want internet" - you'll sound like a spoiled child. Tell them what you've written here - there's plenty of room on the form for it.

Pet wrote:
    You're from Waterford..hmm, my socially-retarded recluse of a flatmate last year was from Waterford. He hid in his room and never talked to anyone, despite almost inhuman efforts by everyone else. What a sap. I certainly hope you won't turn out like that! (To date this has been my only experience with people from Waterford, and it has tainted my view of the almost-langers.)

Certainly put down that you need internet, but don't just say "I want internet" - you'll sound like a spoiled child. Tell them what you've written here - there's plenty of room on the form for it.
    To be honest my experience of people from "the shticks" of Meath has been pretty piss poor too, but I won't let that cloud my judgment. :P
    Plus, I'm not from the city. There's a big difference. :rolleyes:

Anyway yeah thanks, I'll mention the circumstances on the form if theres anywhere to put it....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

I've lived in Cunningham House and the modern apartments, and both have their good and bad points. Cunningham was great in first year, as you meet so many people with sharing a kitchen between about 14 and having 7 people or more on a floor. I knew everyone's name in the whole building. A couple of wardens told me the people in there were way nicer than the "spoiled brats" in the modern apartments; while I don't believe in lumping about 800 people together, the people were almost all very nice and sociable in Cunningham, there were no snotty rich people because they wouldn't want to live there. There's no living room in there which seemed like a bad point at first but it's actually good because everyone sits around in the kitchen/dining area chatting and watching TV, if you go to cook your dinner there's always people around, which I liked. Another positive is that the place gets cleaned fairly regularly by a cleaner; the basic stuff like mopping the floor, cleaning the toilets, and toilet paper is supplied which saves you remembering to buy some.

The main downsides to Cunningham: the tiny rooms. I got a particularly bad one with a rotting carpet, other people were luckier, but none of them are great. It didn't bother me, but some people wouldn't like sharing a shower and toilet with so many people. I never had problems with having to wait for either, but my floor wasn't full. The things that really bothered me were not having cable TV - sounds shallow, but there was never anything on to watch, and most of all, no Internet access. It wasn't as bad as I expected, I made do with the computer rooms in college, but having it in your room is so much better. That's the main reason I applied for the modern apartments in 2nd year.

The modern ones are very nice, don't have character like Cunningham House, but very clean and new. It's great having your own bathroom, and internet access in your room. Kitchen and living area much nicer as well. The problem is they're very apartment like, so you're kind of stuck with whoever ends up as your flatmates. In my block people were unfriendly, we tried going and introducing ourselves and people seemed more interested in sticking to their own flats. Maybe we had bad luck. It really all depends who they put you with. I know people who had a great experience but a lot of people who couldn't stand their flatmates. I couldn't really say which is better, the atmosphere in Cunningham House is nicer, but it's nice to have the facilities in the moderns.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the insight. I'll end up putting modern first priority. Looks like I will be applying thankfully, got plenty above first choice (TCD).
    Although the more sociable atmosphere in Cunningham sounds great I'm going to really need internet methinks...
    Now with the CAO hurdle (pretty much) out of the way, I just have to worry about accommodation!
    Thanks again.

Advertisement