Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Birth Cert

Options
  • 31-07-2006 8:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭

My brother has asked me to obtain his birth cert and I am not sure of two things:

1. Where do I go in Dublin to get it

2. Do I need a special ID to get it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭vibrant

All the info you need is here: http://www.groireland.ie/

They have a Dublin office, somewhere around Pearse St. Dart station.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Their opening hours are really bad so double check them before you head down!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,139 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

They're on Lombard Street. Runs between Westland Row and the river.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭AnitaMcCluskey

Birth cert office is called Joyce House, Lombard Street East. The opening hours and queues are not as bad as they use to be. Normal waiting time now is 15 mins compared to 2/3 hours that it was 2 years ago. Best time to go imo is late afternoon before 4pm. I live near there so I spend lots of time there for friends and family!
    You don't need any id but you do need all the information, Full name, date of birth, mother and fathers full names and place of birth. I think that's all. It cost 10 euros for 1 copy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Birth cert office is called Joyce House, Lombard Street East.

Ha. Hows that for coincidence, I was only passing that place this morning wondering what it was. :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭shqipshume

Birth cert office is called Joyce House, Lombard Street East. The opening hours and queues are not as bad as they use to be. Normal waiting time now is 15 mins compared to 2/3 hours that it was 2 years ago. Best time to go imo is late afternoon before 4pm. I live near there so I spend lots of time there for friends and family!
    You don't need any id but you do need all the information, Full name, date of birth, mother and fathers full names and place of birth. I think that's all. It cost 10 euros for 1 copy.

If you apply for it online,its costs like 50 euro per birth cert :(i rang to try get it sent to me this country is a rip off.
    And did anyone hear about the charging double for your passport if you walk in to get it :eek::mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭PurpleBerry

shqipshume wrote: »
    And did anyone hear about the charging double for your passport if you walk in to get it :eek::mad:

What, what, what?!

I bloody hope not. If I ever do decide to get another passport (and I may have to) I will need to go into the office to attempt to sort it out.

I will in no uncertain terms be paying double the already extortionate price for it.

What, what, what?!

I bloody hope not. If I ever do decide to get another passport (and I may have to) I will need to go into the office to attempt to sort it out.

I will in no uncertain terms be paying double the already extortionate price for it.

Yep,i was told yesterday by a garda :(,I was going to go in cause i need a passport fast,and they say now they charge double what you pay to get it if you walk in there,Normal price to send for it,but you also have to pay 14.50 for application :mad:
    Face it our country is turning commi :(:mad:

Public Counter Urgent Fee

Payable, upon proof of urgent travel, for passports required to be issued on the same or next day following application. This fee is in addition to the appropriate passport fee as set out above.

Please note that this is not an 'on demand' service and is only available for same/next day genuine urgent travel

€55 -Adult

€30 -Child
    also now they wanna see your tickets to prove your traveling :S like that's their business when you are going you may want it for identification or are getting ready ahead before you make the arrangements.

http://www.dfa.ie/home/index.aspx?id=259#inireland

Yep,i was told yesterday by a garda :(,I was going to go in cause i need a passport fast,and they say now they charge double what you pay to get it if you walk in there,Normal price to send for it,but you also have to pay 14.50 for application :mad:
    Face it our country is turning commi :(:mad:

Thanks Shqipshume, that's me decided. I am not going to fund this nazism by getting an Irish passport. Luckily I have a choice, I know others don't.

Sure when I tried to get my passport form signed by the Gardaí they refused. They said they didn't know me well enough and I would need a National ID Card if I wanted them to sign the passport form. Of course, you need a passport to get that ID in the first place...

Thanks Shqipshume, that's me decided. I am not going to fund this nazism by getting an Irish passport. Luckily I have a choice, I know others don't.

Sure when I tried to get my passport form signed by the Gardaí they refused. They said they didn't know me well enough and I would need a National ID Card if I wanted them to sign the passport form. Of course, you need a passport to get that ID in the first place...

Your welcome i thank the garda for warning me cause i would have went into town queued and been charged that price.:mad:
    I so wouldn't be paying if i didn't have to and there is something special about this journey no way even their crazy prices will stop me.

Whats your other option can i ask?

Yeah i have heard that story about the garda not knowing you well enough kind of rubbish.

• Advertisement

Whats your other option can i ask?

My other option is a British passport.

I'm going to look into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

That fee is only if you need the passport urgently, like in an emergency.
    If you just drop the documents in and collect it a few weeks later it's just the regular price!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

My other option is a British passport.

I'm going to look into it.

If you can get a British passport go for it, is my advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,964 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

If you apply for it online,its costs like 50 euro per birth cert :(i rang to try get it sent to me this country is a rip off
    That is probably what private companies are charging to obtain it for you. The reason they charge it is because some fools are willing to pay it.

shqipshume wrote:
    You're not really well informed are you? Do you believe everything you hear?

You can go to the passport office with your paperwork, queue like a normal person and pay the normal fee. The passport is then posted out to you.

If however, you are one of those people who discover the day before travelling, that your passport is out of date, you can obtain it the same day. You have to have proof of imminent travel (i.e. tickets) and pay a higher fee.

The reason the fee is higher is to encourage people to check that their documents are in order long before travelling. If the fee was the same as the normal one, everyone would be at it.

With the amount of hassle I've gone through trying to get an Irish passport I think I'll still go with the British one. It costs slightly less and there are little to no extra charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 524 ✭✭✭buzzerbuckley

My friend has lost his passport in spain and the embassy told him he needs to get a long birth cert in lombard st sent out to them.

Can I just go in on monday and get the cert for him and post it over or am I wasting my time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

am I wasting my time?
    not any more you're not! taa daa!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

Five years ago I learned that the registrars office on Lombard St would only be issuing certs for people who where born in Dublin. People born outside Dublin could go to their local offices or apply by post to the GRO office in Roscommon. I'm not sure if this is still the case but it's worth checking out before you head there if you where born outside Dublin.

Advertisement