Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freshers Week Traditions.

Options
  • 22-07-2006 11:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

It's just around the corner now,

What do you do every Freshers Week?

edit: It's ages away.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Vorsprung

I join about 200 UCD meds and crash it! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

Enjoy the atmosphere. I absolutely love it. Bring some money with you if you can at all, you will want to try and sample as many societies as possible. Say you join at 20x€2 is €40 and it sounds like a lot of money, but trust me if you find a society you really enjoy and make friends from it it's well worth it.

As for me, I'll be looking to take up a new sport. I want to be fit again. That said, I was very complimented today when my mam told me I needed to put on weight :D, I had been thinking the exact opposite.

Now that you're joining the club, I get to correct you on your spelling. It's Freshers' Week :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭Awayindahils

It's not just around the corner. It's feicin' ages away, don't get my hopes up about going back to college, there's another 9 weeks or so, seriously, soo not just around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Crash

I'm going to go get hideously drunk, 3rd year in a row :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 tainted_dream

As for me, I'll be looking to take up a new sport. I want to be fit again. That said, I was very complimented today when my mam told me I needed to put on weight :D, I had been thinking the exact opposite.

Body size has nothing to do with fitness really. you can be skinny and not able to run 2 miles and be really big and be a professional rugby player. Your mam may also be saying you need to put on weight as in muscle and have a mans physique instead of a little girls.

If you're thinking about a new sport, you realise there can be only one option.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭HDX

what option? frisbee?

I find banning a better sport than judo kev.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭shay_562

what option? frisbee?

[pimp]It is, without a doubt, the greatest sport in college. I can't think of why anyone wouldn't want to join it.[/pimp]

Topic: I have yet to establish freshers' week traditions, since my first year freshers' week was pretty **** in terms of actually doing college stuff - my Debs were that Friday, which took out Thursday and Friday nights, and one of my best friends was back in the country for that week only, which took up large portions of my days. The only society things I did were grabbing free drinks in the GMB and the paintball shooting gallery.

shay_562 wrote:
    I have yet to establish freshers' week traditions, since my first year freshers' week was pretty **** in terms of actually doing college stuff - my Debs were that Friday, which took out Thursday and Friday nights, and one of my best friends was back in the country for that week only, which took up large portions of my days. The only society things I did were grabbing free drinks in the GMB and the paintball shooting gallery.

But that's how you met me:D So Freshers week wasn't a complete wipe out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭cuckoo

Traditions:

Newbie students - wide eyed wonder, trepidation and 'where the feck is that building?!?!'

Returning students (watching newbie students streaming in) - *rub hands in glee* Fresh meat! *cackle*

Hey, who doesn't want to wake up feeling a little fresher in the morning? :p

But, seriously, it's probably a better week when you're not an actual fresher, you're more relaxed and it's more about catching up with people you haven't seen all summer.

• Advertisement

But that's how you met me So Freshers week wasn't a complete wipe out.

I'd like to think we would have met anyway. Star-crossed lovers-style. Except, ya know, without the lovers part. More in the sense that we spent so much time hanging around the GMB that sooner or later we would have crossed paths. But then, there would have been less shooting and it might have taken me longer than 30 seconds to realise how insane you were. ("Why yes, I'll happily be shot again. And again. And again!")
    Hey, who doesn't want to wake up feeling a little fresher in the morning?

I don't know whether to slap you for the bad pun or steal it for myself. Or both.

tell you what, this year, you take the pun, i'll take the little freshers ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Traditions?

Sunday night drinking on campus
    Popping out to see the campers for the good spots
    Having a double fry on the monday morning
    Going to all the nights out trying to get in for free under an assumed alias

and of course the all important, a hell of a lot of drink

I love freshers' week :)

tell you what, this year, you take the pun, i'll take the little freshers

Since we're not exactly going to be fighting over the same freshers, I'm sure we can come to some kind of arrangement. You lure them in by showing off your crime-fighting skills, I catch them in the giant net, then we divvy them up. It's foolproof...
    Popping out to see the campers for the good spots

I've been told that they're definitely outlawing that this year. I hope to god that's true, because I've also be told that if they don't, I'll be sleeping on the chapel steps. Good times.

Also: bleh to insomnia. Bleh indeed.

if they don't outlaw it, if people want i'll drop them down coffee at some point during the night.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

I plan on violating some first year ladies, first single freshers week in years. It'll distract me from the horrendous drinking I've become accustomed to. GO WENCHING!

shay_562 wrote:
    ("Why yes, I'll happily be shot again. And again. And again!")

Hey I got a free t-shirt. So what if it was an extra large and could fit me and another me and some extra limbs. :rolleyes:

Dead Ed wrote:
    I plan on violating some first year ladies, first single freshers week in years. It'll distract me from the horrendous drinking I've become accustomed to. GO WENCHING!
    sounds like a great plan, tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

Remember the rule; half your age plus seven is the lowest you can go. After that, you can't go wrong.

17 - spot on :D

you know, one of these days I will stop being a sleazy git.

but not today.

• Advertisement

Actually that's not the lowest you can go, it's actually supposed to eb the ideal age ratio. It's a bit bonkers before you're about 14. so its always half the guys age plus 7. So at 18 the perfect aged girl is 16. And thats all a bit gray at the moment anyway.

Goes slightly more insane when at 40 the perfected aged woman for a man is 27.

See I wasn't really a debater in school, we spent an entire debating class discussing the realtive pros and cons of the half age plus 7 rule. Coolest debating teacher ever, kinda strange we never did any debating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,579 ✭✭✭Pet

No, it's the lowest you can go. The perfect age is a much more complicated equation.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

There's no such thing as either a perfect or a lowest age (legality aside of course). You may have less in common with a huge age gap but what ****ing difference does it make what age you are once you're both happy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,234 Mod ✭✭✭✭Edwardius

Legality? Does it count if it's legal in mexico? Freshies should be ok on that side anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 309 ✭✭Bartron Prime

I love Freshers' Week so much. It's absolute madness. My tradition has generally been showing up at 9 a.m. on Monday morning to run The Hist stand. I absolutely love the whole chatting to people/ opportunities for creative madness that stand work allows. Doing that flat out then partying it large at Histeria on Wednesday followed by relaxing drinks and some Charlies' food on Friday.

Might take it easy this year. Freshers' Weeks started on Sunday last year as we at The Hist spent it packing condoms and candy in bags! I was up at 6 a.m. last Monday (on my birthday no less), could barely walk and spent a whole week sitting at the computers in the GMB taking names. Trust me, if you hand me a Hist card for the year just gone, I can tell you (probably to within the hour) when you joined. Good times. Who am I kidding? The b******s own me, especially as I'm ex-officio. Dang. I'll be in bright and early I love it too.

It's the ratio for lowest permissible age. That said, guys generally go out with girls younger then them. Girls you see, are more mentally mature than us. Oh well. I like my bright colours and violence so it's all good. As for legality.... It all depends. It's a fluid concept. Why not try the idea of it being less illegal than other things....

pfff, I don't go near girls younger than me generally. screw that ****. every bit as immature. and in some cases waaaay worse.

Fair enough. I suppose that proves what everyone has been telling me for years. I AM that childish. Oh well.

*Chases Pretty Shiny Things and Giggles*

Either that, or I'm just older than everyone I know. Shorter too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

I'd take immaturity over lack of self confidence.

I'd echo what Johnl said about age and sex and loving relationships. I'm usually only attracted to older women but at this stage they're getting a bit saggy. Only messing.

Bartley, everyone knows you're immature :P

• Advertisement

Define 'immaturity'. Some people use that as a cover until you get to know them better. I don't really believe that lack of self confidence is a reason to break-up with someone. If you care about them, you should do your best to show them how great they are.

I agree. Again, once it's legal or is negligibly over the line (17 and 16 year old). But, the general guideline should be whatever makes you (and most importantly) the other person happy. Unless that's sneaking around my house. Stay OUT of MY bins! ;)

Advertisement